Having Fun & Getting It Done CAL/KAL 4th Quarter!

That's not bad at all, it usually takes me from one to two weeks to finish a full size ghan. But then I usually do grannies. I think the only one piece job I made was the Boucle one for my neighbor, and that was only a lapghan.

Well my first afghan I ever did right when I first started took me over a year! and it was just a ripple!!! and the second one which was a shell one took about that long too! I did put them down for months at a time and didn't really work on them regularly, probably because I kept getting discourage with how long it was taking. So this works up in no time at all compared to those two! I have been getting a lot faster though the more I work... I hope to have 3 or 4 afghans done for christmas this year, two are already started!! so Im on my way.

I haven't tried anything with grannies yet, I am planning on making myself a babette, one day... hopefully this year.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my revised list for this week!

1. Circle to Square Afghan 20%

2. Fun Circles Bag 25%

3. Boboletta Cocoon Jacket 2% (may change yarn...)

4. Patons Brilliant Shawl 5% (frogged it & set aside for now...not sure I like yarn)

5. Squares for Warm Up America 0%

6. Scrap Blanket for Dogs- Finished 1~!

7. Flowers for Aryn Shawl (hope to get yarn this weekend)

8. Learn to Knit!! (apparently when it comes to knitting I have two left hands and no thumbs...I'm terrible at it!! LOL) 2%

Kim

Well, I thought I would update what I'm working on. I do better if I work on one item at a time. Although, I usually work on crochet and also work on a Swedish Weave project at the same time.

Anyhow, I've been working on the Light and Lacy afghan, and I'm on the last skein and I'm half way through it. I'll be so happy when it is done. It is really looking nice from a distance.

Although, I have one problem. The yarn is the same lot number, but some of it is stiffer than other skeins. Do you think when I wash the afghan, that some of the stiffener yarn will become softer? Even if it don't that is fine, because I'm not giving it to anyone, its for me. And will be basically be used for decoration. I don't know if it had extra dye put in it or not, but the yarn was workable, but just stiff. Like it was over starched. Any ideas??

Blessings,

Lynn

Well my first afghan I ever did right when I first started took me over a year! and it was just a ripple!!! and the second one which was a shell one took about that long too! I did put them down for months at a time and didn't really work on them regularly, probably because I kept getting discourage with how long it was taking. So this works up in no time at all compared to those two! I have been getting a lot faster though the more I work... I hope to have 3 or 4 afghans done for christmas this year, two are already started!! so Im on my way.

I haven't tried anything with grannies yet, I am planning on making myself a babette, one day... hopefully this year.

I had to laugh when I read this. I do the exact same thing with afghans. I get bored with them really quickly and get discouraged that I'm not making progress as quickly as I'd like. I always end up putting them down for 2-3 months at a time. I started my mother's in October '07 and I really am pushing myself to get it done for her for Mother's Day. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift... oh well. :lol

Here is my revised list for this week!

2. Fun Circles Bag 25%

3. Boboletta Cocoon Jacket 2% (may change yarn...)

4. Patons Brilliant Shawl 5% (frogged it & set aside for now...not sure I like yarn)

5. Squares for Warm Up America 0%

6. Scrap Blanket for Dogs- Finished 1~!

7. Flowers for Aryn Shawl (hope to get yarn this weekend)

8. Learn to Knit!! (apparently when it comes to knitting I have two left hands and no thumbs...I'm terrible at it!! LOL) 2%

Kim

Yay, Kim!!! :cheer You are plugging right along with your list. Way to go!

Well, I thought I would update what I'm working on. I do better if I work on one item at a time. Although, I usually work on crochet and also work on a Swedish Weave project at the same time.

Anyhow, I've been working on the Light and Lacy afghan, and I'm on the last skein and I'm half way through it. I'll be so happy when it is done. It is really looking nice from a distance.

Although, I have one problem. The yarn is the same lot number, but some of it is stiffer than other skeins. Do you think when I wash the afghan, that some of the stiffener yarn will become softer? Even if it don't that is fine, because I'm not giving it to anyone, its for me. And will be basically be used for decoration. I don't know if it had extra dye put in it or not, but the yarn was workable, but just stiff. Like it was over starched. Any ideas??

Blessings,

Lynn

Lynn - I've had the same thing happen to me before, especially with Red Heart Super Saver multicolored yarns (which are dye-lotted). I can attest to the fact that after washing with fabric softener, it does get softer and will feel the same as the rest of the yarn. I made a sweater that I had that problem with and you can't tell it at all.

I finished making the center flowers for the last five squares of Mom's blanket last night. I'm going to be putting the leaves around them today. Then I'll just have to finish those squares, wash and assemble (my washer is kinda small, so I'll have to wash it before I put the blanket together). I crochet over my ends as often as I can so I won't have too many to weave in.

:lol:lol I had one I was making for me, that was hurriedly put in a bag and thrown in a closet when company was coming. 2 years later I pulled it out, and wound up frogging it, because I didn't like it anymore. It was one of those Mile a minute ones, I had done 4 strips of it, for me it was a mile every 2 years...:yes

my plan for today is to knit a hat for my uncle. i gave him a scarf a year ago for Christmas but didn't make a hat then because I didn't think he would want a hand knit one... well it seems I was wrong so today it will be done.

I had big plans of crocheting the night away last night, until 7pm while half way through the dishes and just about to start supper, when the power goes out and remained out for +/- 7 hours......needless to say after being overly annoyed most of that time I didn't get much done. I was attempting to work on the up/down stitch afghan did one row, turned did second row all but last three stitches when i realized I messed up at the begining of the first row I did, ripped it all out and started those two rows over, and did one more before I was ready to shoot something!!! so I went to bed!

maybe after some homework and a few household tasks I can get somewhere tonight!

I haven't checked in for a little bit. I've made some progress. I worked on my husband's afghan and my scrap afghan every chance I had on Saturday and Sunday. They are both pretty big, so I didn't get very far. I'll take pics soon to show my progress. Yesterday I finished the scarf for my friend's toddler daughter. I used Rag Doll yarn. It was interesting to work with. At first it just looked like a frayed mess, but after 3 rows or so, it really came together nice. I'll post a picture of it later. (I'm at work)

I'm still searching for the perfect pattern for slippers. I want to to make them for both girls, but nothing is striking my fancy. So the journey continues.

I haven't had time to work on my butterfly square. I am going to make a bunch of butterflies in different colors and color combinations then do different backgrounds to see what I like. As soon as I am comfortable that the pattern is correct, I'll be happy to post it here (since some asked).

I haven't started my baby afghan because my friend doesn't find out the gender until Thursday. I'm looking around to see what I'd like to do. If it's a girl, I think she'll get my butterfly pattern. :) If it's a boy, I'm not sure yet. LOL. I will be doing some research to figure out what i want to do. I don't like to make baby afghans with too many holes in it. I prefer a more solid pattern. They live in a cold area (MN), so I want to make something soft and think. Suggestions are VERY much welcome.

I will check back in soon with some pictures. I"ll probably just put them on my blog. I have a hard time resizing pictures on here, and usually post at work, so my options are limited.

Feeling lazy today, so only puttered a little trying some new squares (using scraps) and working some on baby bunting. Think I am getting a cold, cause I always start feeling dragged out....

Hi everyone!

Carol I'm sorry to hear your under the weather hopefully you pull through unscathed. Maybe just rest and relax! :sleep

Robin hope you find your slipper pattern. I haven't made any yet so I couldn't suggest anything. Though if you have the SnB book (stich n' **tch) they do have some cute :slipperbunny:slipper slippers in there.

Missie sorry to hear about your power going out! I hope you stayed warm! :wgrin

Darski good luck knitting your Uncle's hat. I am always surprised when people you wouldn't expect really love their handmade gifts. It makes it all worth it! :manyheart

Relynn I hope your squares are going good!

I am so close to finish up these swap surprises. I love the girl but I am way done with them. Now I know the feeling when crochet isn't as much fun anymore. Oh well one day soon I am going to do my first felting. And it is going to be for me!!! :yay Hope you all are doing well!!!

Lynn - I've had the same thing happen to me before, especially with Red Heart Super Saver multicolored yarns (which are dye-lotted). I can attest to the fact that after washing with fabric softener, it does get softer and will feel the same as the rest of the yarn. I made a sweater that I had that problem with and you can't tell it at all.quote]

Thanks for the information! I was wondering if the stiffness would come out. I got the yarn at thrift store for 50 cents a skien, it is the wal-mart brand Mainstay. Wal-Mart in my area no longer carries the yarn cause it wasn't much good for crocheting with. My favorite is Red Heart.

Thanks again for the information.

Blessings,

Lynn

I'm still searching for the perfect pattern for slippers. I want to to make them for both girls, but nothing is striking my fancy. So the journey continues.

I really can't sing the praises of these slippers enough... http://www.knitscene.com/projects/kid_slippers.pdf

They are easy and turn out quite beautiful. I made them for my oldest DD some time ago in red, pink, and purple (red heart super saver). One recommendation though, if the girls will be walking on hard floors in them, get some of that foam shelf liner stuff (usually sold in rolls at discount stores) and cut some "soles" for them and attach so they have some grip on the bottom. I did this for the pair I made; they were then officially perfect!

Carol - I'm sorry you're under the weather. :hug

Ashley - Thank you for the support! The squares are coming slowly. I took them to my knitting/crocheting meeting last night and ran out of yarn after 2. I'll get them done soon, I'm sure of it.

Ok I guess I should update too!

ABC Blanket - about 20% done now. The first two blocks of letters are done! S-Z (you start at the bottom and work up).

8 Pocket Tote its getting close! The sides, gusset and one large pocket is finished. I am almost done with the second large pocket, then I have 2 small side pockets, straps and the button flap. The of course all the edging and attaching.

Heather the Hippo Her head and body is done! And ears!

Purple/White Striped Baby Blanket Its been in the closet for close to a week now, so I'm not even sure where I am with it at this point.

Pet Blanket Not much, if any, progress

Ava's Blanket I bought some bright red boucle yarn. My cat Ava loves this one red blanket I have, so I thought maybe she would like one of her own!

Circles to Squares I have bought the yarn - will probably start this weekend.. maybe

Thats where I am! Off to crochet more!!

Keep kicking butt everyone!!!

I've been working with the thread I bought last week. I started a wrist band with it, and almost finished a small (no, tiny) stuffed puppy. I also finished another square for the afgan, though it's not the same size as the first so I may have to redo one of them...

I am almost finished the Fun Circles Bag and I found I have to buy another skein of yarn! I hate it when that happens.:angry The pattern called for 2 skeins and I have the gauge correct but there's not way I'm going to be able to finish with what I have left.:sigh

Kim

Finished my Diagonal Box Stitch shawl...just the right size for using in the car (I hate wearing a coat while I drive). The seatbelt should hold it together well enough, and my arms will be free! Of course, that only holds if my Grandmother doesn't take it from me. She wants just about everything I make. :D

Also finished strip 2 of a flannelghan...only 3 more to go!

Seems like everyone is moving along quite nicely! Well done everyone! :hook

I've nearly finished the leaves on my squares. My classes started today so I need to crochet a bit to wind down from the start of the semester anxiety that I get. I didn't crochet yesterday because of my nerves. :lol

My hat pattern is being tested now, so I should be able to make it widely available very soon.

You're welcome Darski! I hope you enjoy making them. They really are quick and turn out just darling.

Welcome, Sue! We all look forward to getting to know you and helping cheer you on! I can't wait to see your finished items.

Here is my revised list for the end of the week!

2. Fun Circles Bag 85%

3. Boboletta Cocoon Jacket 0% (definitely changing yarn...)

4. Squares for Warm Up America 0%

5. Toddler blanket for niece 25%

6. Flowers for Aryn Shawl (hope to get yarn this weekend)

7. Learn to Knit!! (apparently when it comes to knitting I have two left hands and no thumbs...I'm terrible at it!! LOL) 2%

Kim

I've got an update, even though too much didn't happen this week....I did add something new...:D I'm nuts I know!!! but most of what I'm working on isn't needed until christmas, so I've got plenty of time!

ok so here's the list:

1. Alternating V-Shell lap-ghan: +/- 35% made a little progress

2. Up-Down Stitch Afghan: +/- 20%3. Baby Bib: 10%

4. 2 sets baby booties: 0%

5. 2 baby hats: 0%

6. Snowflakes (snowflake monday cal): 0/52

7. Beanie w/ earflaps for bf: 85% will be done sunday when we flet and shape to his head, this is going to be interesting!

8. Giant Granny Square Afghan (CAL): 25% my newest addition need for wedding in june, well actually need two, for two weddings, for two sisters, two weeks apart! my oh my

Well that's what I've got for now :hook

Archived