Having Fun & Getting It Done CAL/KAL 4th Quarter!

I had so much fun doing the CAL Before 2008 that I wanted to keep it up. I found it to be a great motivator!

This CAL/KAL is going to be perpetual throughout the year, and it will be divided quarterly. Please list your “To Crochet” or "To Knit" (or both) list for the current quarter either in a response to this thread or in your signature (or both). Anyone can join any time.

Please try to keep your list realistic for your time available. Try to get as much done as you can. Don’t let perfectionism and/or overachieving get in the way. I say that because I’m usually guilty of it. :blush If you don’t finish your list, adjust it for the next quarter. This CAL/KAL is meant to give you a sense of accomplishment, not a sense of guilt. Your list should be at least 5 items but not more than 12. We can always add more to our lists as we get items completed. Just don't overwhelm yourself from the get go!

The first quarter was an outstanding success! Thanks to everyone who has participated so far.

The second quarter was a lot of fun and some really beautiful projects were completed! Thank you everyone for having fun along with me!

Dates:

First Quarter 2008 - Jan. 1 - Mar. 31

Second Quarter 2008 – Apr. 1 - Jun. 30

Third Quarter 2008 - Jul. 1 - Sept. 30

Fourth Quarter 2008 - Oct. 1 - Dec. 31

My Fourth Quarter 2008 List:

1. Field of Poppies Afghan ©
  2. Textured Stripes Throw ©
  3. Little Miss Stawberry Pullover (K)
  4. Lacy Pineapples Pullover ©
  5. Afghan Square for a Friend (K)
  6. Sweater for Abbie (K)
  7. Circle Sleeve Lace Tunic ©
  8. Woodland Tunic ©

Let’s have fun and get our projects done!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooooh...just what I need! I'm in!

To do:

hat for sis 0% done

burgundy Fiesta afghan 30% done

mosaic twist afghan 25% done

rose round ripple 50% done

green baby blanket 20% done

blue baby blanket 0% done

yellow baby blanket 70% done

scarf for sis (knit) 50% done

Geez, that looks like a lot.... But, on the Fiesta and Mosaid Twist afghans, I'm using a P hook, and the scarf is being done on size 15 needles. Those should all finish rather quickly. Hopefully, I'll finish at least one this weekend.

Now this one I might be able to accomplish!

First Quarter

Project Linus: Pink/White Shell Babyghan 30% done; Baby Print Basket Weave Babyghan 60% done; Teen size ghan: green camo w/brown accent 30% done

Dog Coat: Forrest Camo 20% done

ME: Throw for remodel basement sofa--need to pick colors (would love to do a PS); try socks!

I think I am in. I will likely borrow Julie's original (Sky) plan to work on certain projects on certain days. I found that to be the best way for me to get things done.

I need to develop my list and my daily plan - will be back with that soon.

Welcome everybody! Thanks for joining in!

Darski, that is a great idea about doing stuff on certain days. I'm going to have to plan my stuff out like that, too. Breaking things down into steps always seems to help me get things accomplished. Thanks for sharing Julie's idea!

I'm in! I'll put together my list and post again in the next day or so....I'm going to have a CAL and KAL list because I'm trying to learn to knit...the key word is TRYING...LOLLLL....

Kim

Great to see this CAL! I'm in, and trying to be realistic with my time. Here's my list:

1. Queen-size Ripple Afghan (commissioned project - deadline 3/16/08) - 10% done

2. 20 Warm Up America sections - 0%

3. Valentines projects - still deciding what to make

4. Harley Davidson graphed wall hanging - 25% done

Of course I am in:)

First Quarter

1 Striped/ribbed shirt for me

2 Circle shirt for me

3 Cousin spirt week bag

4 Friend purse

5 Pay it foward #2

There you have it now I need to get back to those shirts quick.:)

Welcome Kim, Lissa and Lesa! So glad you can join us!

I finished my step-son's winter set this evening. Just one more set left for my youngest step-daughter. Yay!

My classes for the Spring semester start on the 24th of this month, and I am trying to get as much done as I can before I have to hit the books again.

Good luck everyone with getting your lists together and getting the projects done!

Hi, I'm in again,

Trying to keep it real, here is my list;

1-Finish Boucle afghan for neighbor who just had heart surgery

2-Finish my own design "pick me up" afghan for me

3-Finish 2 cancer prayer shawls for friend and SIL

4-Make tumbling blocks ghan for twin great grandson's

5-Make 3 toys for toy drive

Hey, Carol! Thanks for joining! I'd love to see pictures of your afghans when you get them done. I love afghans but have yet to complete a full size one.

Status Update:

I made my youngest step-daughter's hat today, so that's 1 part of her winter set done. I plan on getting the mittens knocked out tomorrow (they take me an hour and a half tops per mitten) and the scarf on Tuesday.

I added a doily (my first attempt at one) to my list for this quarter. I made a last minute decision that I want to make one for my grandmother's birthday in early February. So that's next on the priority list.

I haven't decided if I want to crochet, tunisian crochet, or knit a neckwarmer for myself yet (for my winter set). I must decide soon though, I'd like to have one before winter leaves me. :lol

Good luck everybody!

Here's my tentative list...I am going thru a little slump so I'm having a hard time deciding what to make!:think

1. Finish Circle to Square Afghan:yes

2. Find project for Valentine CAL :yarn

3. Finish Fringed Poncho:yes

4. Make squares for Warm Up America:yarn

5. Learn to Knit!! (apparently when it comes to knitting I have two left hands and no thumbs...I'm terrible at it!! LOL):eek

The list will grow as I get back on track....:)

Kim

Gee, maybe this will keep me on track! I'll try not to make it too large to get done!:eek

My First Quarter 2008 List:

Finish dinosaur pillow (fourth way done)

Make bear pillow

Make dog outfit for daughter's tiny chi

Make the tote bag I had planned to do last year

Ok, I'm getting in the groove now and I have a better list for the first quarter of 2008. I know I'll be adding new things but this is my list for now....

1. Circle to Square Afghan 20%

2. Fun Circles Bag 25%

3. Lace Cotton Shawl 5%

4. Patons Brilliant Shawl 0%

5. Squares for Warm Up America 0%

6. Tea & Sympathy Shawl 0%

7. Learn to Knit!! (apparently when it comes to knitting I have two left hands and no thumbs...I'm terrible at it!! LOL) 2%

Kim

Yeah! I am glad some one created this CAL! I loved the motivation of the "Finish before 2008" CAL and hope this will help me as well.

Here is my first list:

Finish "Snowy Pines" afghan [50%]

"Midnight Brites" baby afghan [0%]

WUA rectangles [2/50]

Helmet liners [0/2]

8-pocket tote for Mom [0%]

And as always I am sure I will be doing the occasional dish cloth, scrubbie, and other small projects in between. Can't seem to help myself!

Sara

This sounds fun. Ok, so here's my attempt at a list:

1) Q Hook blanket for my bed - only 6" or so to go

2) Eyelet Vest (knitted) - Nearly ready for armholes, but must locate other size 10 needle :think

3) Sideways shortrow watchcap (knitted) - exactly half done

4) Some crochet toys - not sure what yet

5) Some doll clothes (crochet, knitted, or otherwise)

Nila - Welcome to the 'Ville! Thanks for joining this CAL/KAL. Can't wait to see pics of your list items. What kinds of toys do you have in mind? I've made a few and might have some ideas for you to consider.

Kim - I'm trying to learn to knit as well. Watching me try is kinda like a train wreck; it's awful but you just can't take your eyes off of it. lol Actually, I've got knitting and purling, casting on, binding off, and cables down. I understand yarn overs, but I'm not comfortable with shaping techniques yet. Knitting in the round just confuses me. I've got no clue how to join the first row. lol My gauge still tends to be just a little wonky, but I don't practice as much as I should. I swear after I get my "Have To" list done I'm going to practice more.

Sara - Glad to see you here as well! I loved the CAL Before 2008. I got more done in 2 months than I had in a year! It's awesome that you are working on helmet liners for the troops. I showed that charity to my DH (he's an Army Vet) and he said that was a really cool idea. I'll probably end up making some next winter. I know I'd never get them done before this winter is over.

Ok, I have to get organized... or die trying :eek

Julie has given me permission to use her plan for a week of finishing UFO's and I am just making a couple of changes. If anyone wants to devise a similar scheme, Julie's is a good inspiration. So my week will shape up as

Monet Mondays... work on the most colourful project you have. This is especially for varigated yarns but colour is what counts. :think

TV Tuesdays... you are to pick a 1 hour TV (radio) show and work steadily on one project for that whole hour. You would be surprised what can happen if you just dedicate one hour a week to a big project. This is going to be for my latest Lumberjack Flannelghan.

WIP Wednesdays... work on the oldest WIP you have hanging around and just get 'er done! This will be my Coronet (round) doily-ghan. It was in the same spot a year ago... oh well. :blush

Thankful Thursdays... is the day to do all that charitable crochet that we love to do. I have a whole stash of squares that need "adding to" to become snugglies for our local humane society.

Friendly Fridays... is a slight change from Julie's plan. I plan to do stuff for friends and family specifically on Fridays. it was originally Photo Fridays but that is now a standing tradition here at the Ville so I took some liberty with the plan.

Willy-Nilly Weekends...I plan to keep the weekends free for whatever I feel like making on those days. :yay

I still need to get a handle on all my UFO's and WIP's. they really are becoming overwhelming. This should be a good beginning.

Kim - I'm trying to learn to knit as well. Watching me try is kinda like a train wreck; it's awful but you just can't take your eyes off of it. lol Actually, I've got knitting and purling, casting on, binding off, and cables down. I understand yarn overs, but I'm not comfortable with shaping techniques yet. Knitting in the round just confuses me. I've got no clue how to join the first row. lol My gauge still tends to be just a little wonky, but I don't practice as much as I should. I swear after I get my "Have To" list done I'm going to practice more.

Compared to me, you HAVE learned to knit!!:lol I'm still trying to figure out casting on and the knit stitch. I'm going to have another go at it today and see if I can do better!

Kim

Julie has given me permission to use her plan for a week of finishing UFO's and I am just making a couple of changes. If anyone wants to devise a similar scheme, Julie's is a good inspiration. So my week will shape up as

Thanks, this is really nice. I needed something like this for inspiration to either dig out some old stuff and finish it or frog it.

Monet Mondays... work on the most colourful project you have. This is especially for varigated yarns but colour is what counts. :think

TV Tuesdays... you are to pick a 1 hour TV (radio) show and work steadily on one project for that whole hour. You would be surprised what can happen if you just dedicate one hour a week to a big project. This is going to be for my latest Lumberjack Flannelghan.

WIP Wednesdays... work on the oldest WIP you have hanging around and just get 'er done! This will be my Coronet (round) doily-ghan. It was in the same spot a year ago... oh well. :blush

Thankful Thursdays... is the day to do all that charitable crochet that we love to do. I have a whole stash of squares that need "adding to" to become snugglies for our local humane society.

Friendly Fridays... is a slight change from Julie's plan. I plan to do stuff for friends and family specifically on Fridays. it was originally Photo Fridays but that is now a standing tradition here at the Ville so I took some liberty with the plan.

Willy-Nilly Weekends...I plan to keep the weekends free for whatever I feel like making on those days. :yay

I still need to get a handle on all my UFO's and WIP's. they really are becoming overwhelming. This should be a good beginning.

I REALLY like this idea! Thanks for sharing your plan....I think I might have to try the same thing for a while and see if it keeps me from floundering around and never actually finishing anything before I start something else.

Sara

Compared to me, you HAVE learned to knit!!:lol I'm still trying to figure out casting on and the knit stitch. I'm going to have another go at it today and see if I can do better!

Kim

I learned to knit before crocheting, and until I got the crochet down pat, I had lots of knit wips. :eek I would start out making something but because it took so long to get it done, I wound up switching to something in crochet so I could move on to the next thing on my list. Eventually I wound up doing almost everything in crochet, except for something special that I could take my time doing. You have to have more time and patience with knitting.:yes

Nila - Welcome to the 'Ville! Thanks for joining this CAL/KAL. Can't wait to see pics of your list items. What kinds of toys do you have in mind? I've made a few and might have some ideas for you to consider.

I'm not really sure what sort of toys I want to make. I'm up for trying anything cute really... Most of what I've done is knitted toys, so I need to get some crochet ones in the mix. I'm going to have to see if I can convince one of my sisters to let me use their digital camera for a while so I can get some pictures of my in progress stuff. ;)

Speaking of in progress stuff, I've managed two more rows on my blanket and 4 on the hat. No sign of my other size 10 needle though. It probably crawled away under my bed somewhere...lol

Archived