Having Fun & Getting It Done CAL/KAL 4th Quarter!

Kim: Your shawl is beautiful. It looks so delicate, and the colors are lovely.

Ashley: As to your question about wearing shawls, I made one for my MIL for Christmas. She was always throwing a small blanket over her shoulders to knock of the chill (even in summer lol). She loved the shawl and wears it in the house to stay warmer. So that's another use for them. :)

Carol: Your rug is going to be lovely. And I love the shawl...I have a soft spot for Celtic knotwork, so I may have to add one of those to my list. Also, I have learned that Homespun requires a large (P or Q) hook to be tolerable. :hook

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That rug is sooooo boring....I need some color....I started playing around with the new pattern I found for the baby blanket, and it is really looking good, so I was playing around and made some of the centers for it out of the 1/2 skein of baby blue I have and

kinda got carried away, I made all 45 of them. Just couldn't put it down.

The pattern came from a 1997 Crochet Home mag. #61, pg 14 called Pink Perfection, but I'm doing it in blue (for a boy obviously) so I nicknamed it Handsome in Blue, :lol.

Just humor me, it's late, I'm tired and with blue sunglasses on, everything looks blue...

That rug is sooooo boring....I need some color....I started playing around with the new pattern I found for the baby blanket, and it is really looking good, so I was playing around and made some of the centers for it out of the 1/2 skein of baby blue I have and

kinda got carried away, I made all 45 of them. Just couldn't put it down.

The pattern came from a 1997 Crochet Home mag. #61, pg 14 called Pink Perfection, but I'm doing it in blue (for a boy obviously) so I nicknamed it Handsome in Blue, :lol.

Just humor me, it's late, I'm tired and with blue sunglasses on, everything looks blue...

Wowee!!!!:eek You finished all your squares! You go girl! :clap:clap That is awesome to go from playing around with it to umm I did all my squares. Great work. I wish I could say I accomplished as much as you did today. But our heat was out since yesterday and now we got a new unit and have heat. So that is good. I did finish a couple of my no show items so that is good. Hope you stop seeing blue. :lol

By the way I wanted to mention that I am all in for making myself a shawl now. I will just have to start it after I get more stuff accomplished. I am pretty sure that I want to do the seraphina shawl but nothing is set in stone. So I wanted to say thanks for your guys help! :manyheart

By the way I wanted to mention that I am all in for making myself a shawl now. I will just have to start is after I get more stuff accomplished. I am pretty sure that I want to do the seraphina shawl but nothing is set in stone. So I wanted to say thanks for your guys help! :manyheart

Woohoo! You can always add the shawl to next quarter if you need to. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Wowee!!!!:eek You finished all your squares! You go girl! :clap:clap That is awesome to go from playing around with it to umm I did all my squares. Great work. I wish I could say I accomplished as much as you did today. But our heat was out since yesterday and now we got a new unit and have heat. So that is good. I did finish a couple of my no show items so that is good. Hope you stop seeing blue. :lol

What a beautiful thought, but they aren't finished. Since I am using baby yarn instead of the bulky yarn the pattern calls for I have to make 90 squares to get to a crib size blanket. But your cheering has motivated me to keep going....UHHHH :blush once I finish my house work and play with the cotton I want to use for my cotton shawl....

OH BOY, I think I am taking on too much again....

What a beautiful thought, but they aren't finished. Since I am using baby yarn instead of the bulky yarn the pattern calls for I have to make 90 squares to get to a crib size blanket. But your cheering has motivated me to keep going....UHHHH :blush once I finish my house work and play with the cotton I want to use for my cotton shawl....

OH BOY, I think I am taking on too much again....

Carol,

You totally have my sympathies... 90 squares!?!?! :faint

My status:

I've completed the crocheted portion of my new neckwarmer. I scrapped what I was doing (it just wasn't coming out like I wanted) and ended up using Yarncat's new pattern found here: http://www.yarncat.com/NeckWarmer.html

It's a super simple pattern and works up lightening fast. I just loved working on it. I changed a few things... I added one more stitch to make it just a smidge longer, I used herringbone HDCs instead of standard HDCs and created button holes (my buttons are a little larger than hers were) by making c-1 spaces, skipping one stitch, in the next to last row spaced every 4th stitch (with the exception of the last stitch). Now I need to sew on the buttons and weave in the ends. I just finished it completely. I used Katia Marathon (double stranded) in a dark brown color with silver 7/8" buttons that have an engraved diamond pattern on the. It looks pretty awesome. :hook

I have yet to hear back from my friend about what colors to make her afghan, so I'm putting it on hold until I get that confirmed.

I'm going to do some more work on Mom's blanket this weekend and I'm going to starch and block Grandma's doily.

Have a great weekend everyone!

I used herringbone HDCs instead of standard HDCs

Ok, time to learn something new, what is a herringbone HDC? That is something new to me.

I figured out my problem with taking on too much. I had a schedule before but having 3 months created a monster, :lol;), I have to stick to a monthly one to get all I need to do accomplished.

Now just to catch up I need to make another 3 toys and 7 WUA patches.

Which I hope to do between today and tomorrow.

This is my need to do's:

1- make one WUA patch every other day.

2- make one of each of the following every month;

Ok, time to learn something new, what is a herringbone HDC? That is something new to me.

I figured out my problem with taking on too much. I had a schedule before but having 3 months created a monster, :lol;), I have to stick to a monthly one to get all I need to do accomplished.

This is my need to do's:

1- make one WUA patch every other day.

Herringbone HDCs are the same ones used in the Fat Bottom Bag pattern. I did it a little different I think... at the start of a row, ch 2 (does not count as HDC) YO, insert hook into first stitch, YO and pull up a loop (3 loops on hook), YO and pull through 1st loop on hook (3 loops on hook), YO and pull through 3 loops on hook. It gives it a slight herringbone look with the first loop taken off at the beginning of the stitch, a nice subtle texture. It's a cross between an HDC and a DC. It's the same height as a standard HDC as well.

I know what you mean about taking on too much. I've got my list for stuff I want to get done before April. However, for planning out my projects, I use a calendar (I've created one on my computer) where I specify what I need to do each week of the month.

I used herringbone HDCs instead of standard HDCs

This is my need to do's:

1- make one WUA patch every other day. (totalling 15 to 16 a month)

a-toy

b-shawl

c-afghan

d-purse

The baby afghan & "pick me up" afghan fit into those catagories, as well as the cotton shawl. (I already did two shawls this month as well as one afghan, a tote and a cap. I made 3 toys, but they don't count for Jan. as I still have 3 more to do to catch up).

3- use leftover scraps from these projects to make caps, hats and booties.

4- FINISH KITCHEN RUG!!!!!!

Hopefully this will help me stay on track for all my commitments with a few of my own whims.

And if a few of my good sista crocheters will be so kind to remind me once in awhile, I would be ever so grateful....

Ok so I've been making some progress on my "to do" list heres an update:

1. Alternating V-Shell lap-ghan: +/- 25%

2. Up-Down Stitch Afghan: +/- 20%

3. Heart Scarf (idea borrowed from Valentines CAL): DONE

4. 4.5hr Afghan: DONE

5. Baby Bib: 10%

6. 2 sets baby booties: 0%

7. 2 baby hats: 0%

8. Snowflakes (snowflake monday cal): 0/52

9. Beanie w/ earflaps for bf: 0%

so I've finished two things and added one more....:D

as soon as I can figure out how to add some images I'll show the scarf and afghan completed!

Ok so I've been making some progress on my "to do" list heres an update:

1. Alternating V-Shell lap-ghan: +/- 25%

2. Up-Down Stitch Afghan: +/- 20%

3. Heart Scarf (idea borrowed from Valentines CAL): DONE

4. 4.5hr Afghan: DONE

5. Baby Bib: 10%

6. 2 sets baby booties: 0%

7. 2 baby hats: 0%

8. Snowflakes (snowflake monday cal): 0/52

9. Beanie w/ earflaps for bf: 0%

so I've finished two things and added one more....:D

as soon as I can figure out how to add some images I'll show the scarf and afghan completed!

Great Job can't wait to see your pics!:clap:clap:clap

Ok so we are going to see if this works :blush......wish me luck

4.5 hr Afghan for myself, completed:

http://missiescrochet.shutterfly.com/action/slideshow?caid=67b0de21b35ee345a4f1&a=67b0de21b35ee345a4f1&auto=0&idx=3&m=1&d=1200850409322

Valentine's Scarf for me agian, completed:

http://missiescrochet.shutterfly.com/action/slideshow?caid=67b0de21b35ee345a4f1&a=67b0de21b35ee345a4f1&auto=0&idx=16&m=1&d=1200850863703

ok so let me know if this works, as i can confuse myself beyond belief when i try new things like this.....so if it doesn't work any suggestions to get it to work would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks :D

Hi Ashley, good evening...

Thank you Relynn and Darski, I have printed it all up for my reference book, this way it is there for the next project...Looks very nice and easy...

Misssie, the scarf is super cute and the afghan appears very cozy. How long did it really take to make it?

I did get to make some of my WUA catch up squares, 4 motifs for my rug and one small toy, but I don't think I will be all caught up tonight. I went out with DD for awhile this afternoon and that cut my cro time down. I might have to cut the WUA squares down to one every 3 days, just until I get caught up with everything.

Carol - That sounds like a much more reasonable plan (one every 3 days). Try not to overdo it.

Today I made the hat that I was commissioned to make. I just need to wash it - I have a cat and my yarn is a magnet for his hair; there is no way I would sell something that's got cat hair sticking out all over :lol - and put the ribbon on it. I'm considering it done because once it's washed it will take me all of 2 minutes to put the ribbon on it and have it looking oh so pretty. :c9

After dinner tonight I'm going to start the assembly line on my mom's afghans. I'm down to just the afghans in my list, so I'm forcing myself to work on them before I get swamped with school again. I signed up for the Kitchen swap so that will give me small projects to work on while I'm working on the big stuff. :hook

I must be pretty pathetic, it's a Q hook afghan I'm making for my mom and I still can't get motivated to finish it. :blush I think the biggest problem is that although it's very pretty, it is not anywhere close to my style. Way too floral and frilly for my tastes. But it will suit my mom very well, she's into Victorian type stuff. The blocks are designed with a rose in the center (3d ish) then leaves around the rose and all of that is surrounded by the square itself. I'm doing it in Red Heart Super Saver in burgundy (it looks more cranberry than burgundy) for the roses, sage green for the leaves, and tan for the squares.

Take care everybody!

Missy--your valentine scarf is very cute!

I have gotten something done on my wrap--I decided to double the lace-weight yarn I was using to make it go a little faster! I'm using the Shades of Coral ripple pattern from the 200 ripple pattern book. I've used it before for baby blankets and it always turns out nice. It almost looks like a knitted feather-and-fan pattern.

My sister-in-law wants me to make a hat for her son, so I have another project added to my list!

Hi Carol, Relynn, Nila, Mindy, Darski,

Elaines, Jenhen, Penny, Sara, Lissa, Lesa, Missie, Darlene, Suzy, Kim, Crochetfool, Robin, krazy-kitty, 2kute, LittleGreenstars, Lynn!

Whew I'm tired now. :whewI'm pretty sure I got everyone. I looked through all the post and found you all. Well hi!

Carol- I hope your new system works out for you. And all your projects sound like they are coming along.

Relynn - Good luck on working on all your afghans.

Jenhen - I totally want to get that book. I flipped through it's pages at our local B&N and I was a little disappointed that they had knitted on one side of the page and crochet on the other. I like just all CROCHET book.

I totally went shopping yesterday with my birthday money and saw the doc about my hives. Turns out I have a viral infection that made me get hives. My first time and I am hating them. So I am on my meds and will await everyday till they go away. I did buy myself some Patons wool to make MYSELF a felted purse. I have never felted before so :xfin. I got brown, off white, and pink. My FAV colors! So that is on my later list. I also picked up some cute handles and the Encyclopedia of Crochet. I got 50% percent off at JoAnn's.:devil But off tomorrow to hit the Michaels sales. They actually look good for once. :yes Hope you all are well! :manyheart

Misssie, the scarf is super cute and the afghan appears very cozy. How long did it really take to make it?

It probably took around 6-8 hours....I should've kept track of the time, but I forgot, nice time, I really like the pattern and compared to other afghans I made it works up a lot faster. It may have gone quicker too if I wasn't doing laundry, making dinner and being talked to through out the entire process! :D

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I had pretty much taken the idea for the heart scarf from the Valentines CAL so I can't really take any credit for the concept (here's where I found it, i just couldn't resist having one of my own: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68843 response #53)

Wow, you all've gotten more done than I have ;) I did, however, finish the hat I was working on. Just need to get a few pics now.

Updated List:

1) Q Hook blanket for my bed - only 6" or so to go

2) Eyelet Vest (knitted)

3) "Sampler" Afgan - 1 of 63 squares

4) Some crochet toys

5) Some doll clothes (crochet, knitted, or otherwise) - One outfit completed

6) Get comfortable crocheting with thread

Done:

1) Sideways shortrow watchcap (knitted)

Carol - That sounds like a much more reasonable plan (one every 3 days). Try not to overdo it.

Victorian type stuff. The blocks are designed with a rose in the center (3d ish) then leaves around the rose and all of that is surrounded by the square itself. I'm doing it in Red Heart Super Saver in burgundy (it looks more cranberry than burgundy) for the roses, sage green for the leaves, and tan for the squares.

First of all Good Morning/Afternoon all....

Relynn, still working on things this morning, just a few more patches and then 2 more toys, although Feb is sneaking up on me real fast. This week is kind of shot too, Tomorrow pick up eyeglasse (finally, I will see things in real color and not tinted blue, :lol). Wed, bank day; Thursday evening fellowship at a good friends house (ex neighbor) we haven't seen in about 5 months; Sat. food shopping. This will go down in history as the week of traveling for me. I am never out that much. And when I do go out alot, it wipes me out and I sleep more, so I don't see alot of crocheting happening...:(

I LOVE victorian, and the afghan sounds so pretty!!! You must post pics!

It probably took around 6-8 hours....I should've kept track of the time, but I forgot, nice time, I really like the pattern and compared to other afghans I made it works up a lot faster. It may have gone quicker too if I wasn't doing laundry, making dinner and being talked to through out the entire process! :D

That's not bad at all, it usually takes me from one to two weeks to finish a full size ghan. But then I usually do grannies. I think the only one piece job I made was the Boucle one for my neighbor, and that was only a lapghan.

Wow, you all've gotten more done than I have ;) I did, however, finish the hat I was working on. Just need to get a few pics now.

It's OK, we put the pressure on ourselves. You go at whatever speed you feel comfortable with. My problem is I take on too many projects and then it is no longer fun and turns into work. I have to learn to pace myself more and this Cal is helping me track my work and learn to slow down a little. Other folks use it to Motivate but I don't need that. I keep thinking I am a young chic with nimble fingers, and it isn't happening for me anymore, :wink:)

So take your time and enjoy yourself...

Archived