Having Fun & Getting It Done CAL/KAL 4th Quarter!

I learned to knit before crocheting, and until I got the crochet down pat, I had lots of knit wips. :eek I would start out making something but because it took so long to get it done, I wound up switching to something in crochet so I could move on to the next thing on my list. Eventually I wound up doing almost everything in crochet, except for something special that I could take my time doing. You have to have more time and patience with knitting.:yes

Amen to that! I have the time but I sure don't have the patience....I am going to learn to knit so I can say I did but I don't know if I'll do much with it!

Kim

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could I join you gals? :blush(I didn't see any guys.) I would love to join a CAL that is for all my projects instead of several different CALS.

Also thanks darski for sharing your weekday planner. I am going to give it a shot tonight.

I can't wait to get to know you ladies more! :hug

My list:D

• My Swap for this month - (10%)
  • #1 Pay it forward - (20%)
  • Rectangle Granny Afghan - for Hubby (50%)
  • Sock Monkey Afghan - for my Nephews B-day (5%)

Could I join you gals? :blush(I didn't see any guys.) I would love to join a CAL that is for all my projects instead of several different CALS.

Hi and welcome, Just create & post your list for this quarter and you are on your way...

We have fun and get things done (ooooo I'm a poet :lol) :hook

Ok, Thanks. Here is my list.

My list:D For this Quater

• My Swap for this month Jan - (10%)
  • 6 Pay it forwards - (20%)
  • Sock Monkey Afghan - for my Nephews B-day in Feb (5%)

I think I'm going to start working on a cabbage patch kid skirt I started originally for my sister's christmas present (got bored and made her a scarf instead). That'll be a good start under doll clothes, huh? It's going to be really cool when it's done, and it's quite far along. I just get bored going around and around (and around and around). It's black and bright turquoise-y blue. Hopefully I can get it done and surprise her with it just because. It's more fun that way anyways. :hook

I REALLY like this idea! Thanks for sharing your plan....I think I might have to try the same thing for a while and see if it keeps me from floundering around and never actually finishing anything before I start something else.

Sara

All credit goes to Julie Kay. She has a great creative mind and we are lucky she is here to help us.

I think this is great, plus its my first CAL! I'm really excited about it! Here's my list!

First Quarter:

Baby's Abc Blanket in cream -

Baby's ABC Blanket in another shade not yet determined

Purple and White Striped Baby Blanket (I have 2 friends who are pregnant - not me!:lol

A couple of pairs of baby booties

Hat and mittens set

:clapI just finished the first thing on my list! To be honest, I was pretty well along with it when we started!

:yay Way to go Suzy!! :yay

Welcome to the CAL/KAL Elaine! Good luck on your projects! We're also not far from each other, I'm in Southern MD. Howdy, neighbor!

Oh, I'm signing up! I like a CAL that lets me work on stuff I need to do anyway! This should keep me focused.

Here's my list:

2 baby blankets

1 pi scarf

1 lace shawl

1 hat for my son

That should get me started. I have to go weave in the ends of another project now so I can get started on this list. I think I might even make a signature for myself! :D

Compared to me, you HAVE learned to knit!!:lol I'm still trying to figure out casting on and the knit stitch. I'm going to have another go at it today and see if I can do better!

Kim

You'll get there, Kim! I sat with a book for like 3 days to figure out the very basics (I slept, but barely... I was heck bent and determined to get it. lol). One day I just decided I'd play with that funky looking cable needle and I actually figured it out first shot... I checked what I was doing with the aforementioned book and I was cabling!!! :eek I nearly fainted. :lol I've done a lot of work with front and back post stitches from the very beginning of my crochet experience though, so I attribute picking up cabling so quickly to that. The mechanics are nearly the same.

Also thanks darski for sharing your weekday planner. I am going to give it a shot tonight.

I can't wait to get to know you ladies more! :hug

My list:D

• My Swap for this month - (10%)
  • #1 Pay it forward - (20%)
  • Sock Monkey Afghan - for my Nephews B-day (5%)

Hi, Ashley! Welcome to the CAL/KAL! You seem well on your way on your list. That's great!

I think I'm going to start working on a cabbage patch kid skirt I started originally for my sister's christmas present (got bored and made her a scarf instead). That'll be a good start under doll clothes, huh? It's going to be really cool when it's done, and it's quite far along. I just get bored going around and around (and around and around). It's black and bright turquoise-y blue. Hopefully I can get it done and surprise her with it just because. It's more fun that way anyways. :hook

That sounds super cute!

Ok, I have to get organized... or die trying :eek

Julie has given me permission to use her plan for a week of finishing UFO's and I am just making a couple of changes. If anyone wants to devise a similar scheme, Julie's is a good inspiration. So my week will shape up as

Monet Mondays... work on the most colourful project you have. This is especially for varigated yarns but colour is what counts. :think

TV Tuesdays... you are to pick a 1 hour TV (radio) show and work steadily on one project for that whole hour. You would be surprised what can happen if you just dedicate one hour a week to a big project. This is going to be for my latest Lumberjack Flannelghan.

WIP Wednesdays... work on the oldest WIP you have hanging around and just get 'er done! This will be my Coronet (round) doily-ghan. It was in the same spot a year ago... oh well. :blush

Thankful Thursdays... is the day to do all that charitable crochet that we love to do. I have a whole stash of squares that need "adding to" to become snugglies for our local humane society.

Friendly Fridays... is a slight change from Julie's plan. I plan to do stuff for friends and family specifically on Fridays. it was originally Photo Fridays but that is now a standing tradition here at the Ville so I took some liberty with the plan.

Willy-Nilly Weekends...I plan to keep the weekends free for whatever I feel like making on those days. :yay

I still need to get a handle on all my UFO's and WIP's. they really are becoming overwhelming. This should be a good beginning.

I love Julie's plan! I'm going to alter it a bit to suit my schedule and how I like my week to flow. I'll post my revamp later. Thanks for sharing!

I am down to just finishing the scarf on my step-daughter's winter set and the kids' ones are done. I started it last night at my knitter's group meeting (most of them crochet as well) and I just wasn't satisfied, so I'm going to rip it out and start over today. I kept wanting to get too complicated with it. I have to remember to keep it simple so it works up fast. :blush

Once I get her scarf done (hopefully by tonight) I'll post pictures in the children show and tell and post a link in this thread to the pics.

Have fun y'all!

Thanks Darski for posting Julie's plan! I think I am going to jump in as this will surely help me stay organized and finish things!!!!

Here is what my first quarter list looks like:-

1 making a name doily as wedding gift for brother

2 a top for daughter - she has requested it:)

3 a fbb for me

4 an oval doily - commissioned

You'll get there, Kim! I sat with a book for like 3 days to figure out the very basics (I slept, but barely... I was heck bent and determined to get it. lol). One day I just decided I'd play with that funky looking cable needle and I actually figured it out first shot... I checked what I was doing with the aforementioned book and I was cabling!!! :eek I nearly fainted. :lol I've done a lot of work with front and back post stitches from the very beginning of my crochet experience though, so I attribute picking up cabling so quickly to that. The mechanics are nearly the same.

I love Julie's plan! I'm going to alter it a bit to suit my schedule and how I like my week to flow. I'll post my revamp later. Thanks for sharing!]

Very cool and definitely gives me hope that I can learn it too!! :cheer

I am doing a modified version of Julie's plan....I have found I get bored working with the same colors and yarns too long. So my new plan is to rotate my projects by yarn and color. If I'm working on a wool project in dark colors and I start feeling bored, I switch to a brightly colored lightweight yarn project. Right now I'm alternating between a wool bag, a wool afghan, and two lightweight shawls. It's really helping to keep me from getting bored! :crocheting

Kim

Here's my weekly plan... it'll start in full effect next week. This week I'm wrapping up long overdue winter sets for my step-kids. Gotta love being set back a week and a half due to a really nasty cold during the week of Christmas. :(

All About Me Mondays – Work on something for me

Tiny Tuesdays – Take a small project to group meeting

Workout Wednesdays – Work on the biggest project

Treat Someone Thursdays – Work on gift projects

Favorite Fridays – Pick anything to work on

It’s Due When?!?! Weekends – Work on project with the closest deadline

I have an update (changes to list are in blue)! I finished 1 of the helmet liners last night and also did two more rectangles for the WUA CAL. 4 down, 46 to go!

Unfortunately, I am also adding to my list. Got an invite to a baby shower in the mail last night so now I have to figure out what to do for that. I am thinking about a simple granny hat and really quick blanket, but may end up only doing the hat. The mom is an old high school friend but we aren't all that close. This is her second baby so I thought it would be nice to make this baby something unique since she will probably be wearing all of her big sisters clothes!

Here is 1st Quarter List:

Finish "Snowy Pines" afghan [50%]

"Midnight Brites" baby afghan [0%]

WUA rectangles [4/50]

Helmet liners [1/2]

8-pocket tote for Mom [0%]

Baby Gift (hat/blanket) [0%]

Sara

When I finished the one shawl, I was looking for some yarn for the tumbling blocks ghan and found some strays that I never used up or rolled into balls. I made a hat like one I made at Christmas and had enough left for the handle of a tote, so I made a tote, :lol.

They will go with the shawl to a friend.

Did get to do a little on the Boucle ghan, just to keep me from starting another WIP with some other yarn discoveries :yes

I have an update (changes to list are in blue)! I finished 1 of the helmet liners last night and also did two more rectangles for the WUA CAL. 4 down, 46 to go!

Unfortunately, I am also adding to my list. Got an invite to a baby shower in the mail last night so now I have to figure out what to do for that. I am thinking about a simple granny hat and really quick blanket, but may end up only doing the hat. The mom is an old high school friend but we aren't all that close. This is her second baby so I thought it would be nice to make this baby something unique since she will probably be wearing all of her big sisters clothes!

Way to go, Sara!!! :cheer Two FO's already! A hat or blanket is a great gift idea. I think the Seja set in SNBHH is adorable and I want to make it the next time a friend or relative has a baby. The blanket has an opening for the buckle of the infant car seat... I had a bunting for my girls that had the same thing and it was wonderful in the winter. I didn't have to try to worry about stuffing their blanket/bunting around the 5 point harness system.

When I finished the one shawl, I was looking for some yarn for the tumbling blocks ghan and found some strays that I never used up or rolled into balls. I made a hat like one I made at Christmas and had enough left for the handle of a tote, so I made a tote, :lol.

They will go with the shawl to a friend.

Did get to do a little on the Boucle ghan, just to keep me from starting another WIP with some other yarn discoveries :yes

:lol I get distracted like that too... I went looking for yarn to finish the scarf I'm working on today and I saw some other yarn that I have stashed and I started trying to figure out what I want to make with it right then and there. That yarn is so pretty... It took a lot of self control not to pick it up and start a new project. :yes

Thanks Darski for posting Julie's plan! I think I am going to jump in as this will surely help me stay organized and finish things!!!!

Here is what my first quarter list looks like:-

1 making a name doily as wedding gift for brother

2 a top for daughter - she has requested it:)

3 a fbb for me

4 an oval doily - commissioned

Welcome crochetfool! I can't wait to see the results of your to do list. Good luck with it! :hook

Well, I've not made much progress on my WIPs this week. Got distracted by some SS scraps and started a scrapghan, and did a couple of blocks to mail off to people. I did work on sis's scarf a bit last night, but I had a terrible headache, so I didn't get a lot accomplished. Looks like I'm heading to my grandmother's house tonight, so I'll probably take some kind of project along with me. Most likely, the scarf as it is the most portable.

Have a great day!

Well, I've not made much progress on my WIPs this week. Got distracted by some SS scraps and started a scrapghan, and did a couple of blocks to mail off to people. I did work on sis's scarf a bit last night, but I had a terrible headache, so I didn't get a lot accomplished. Looks like I'm heading to my grandmother's house tonight, so I'll probably take some kind of project along with me. Most likely, the scarf as it is the most portable.

Have a great day!

Mindy, don't worry you're not alone... I feel like I'm spinning my wheels this week and getting almost nowhere. I spent 3 days trying to figure out what kind of scarf I wanted to make my step daughter. I finally gave up last night and got over halfway through a simple dc scarf. I figure I can add some nice edging to pretty it up a bit. I want to get the sets I've made for the kids mailed to them (they live in Canada) this Saturday, so I've got to stop obsessing. :lol You'll get it done, just take it a step at a time. :hug Have a great day, too!

So far I've done alot on the cotton lace shawl and a little on the Paton Brilliant shawl but not so much on the Circles Bag or the afghan!

Kim

Kim, how do you like working with the Patons Brilliant yarn? I've looked at it many times but haven't bought any yet. I know I read someone post that it's scratchy. I'd really like to get your opinions of it though.

Kim, how do you like working with the Patons Brilliant yarn? I've looked at it many times but haven't bought any yet. I know I read someone post that it's scratchy. I'd really like to get your opinions of it though.

It's my first time working with it and so far I like it well enough. It's a nice switch from the wool yarn I was working with and it works up real fast. I picked the Mocha brown w/coppery threads and I think I liked the color better in the store. I don't think I would use it alot but I would buy it again if it was on sale.

The other shawl I'm making I'm using double strands of Patons Grace cotton yarn and I am in love with working with it and will definitely use it again!!

Kim

The other shawl I'm making I'm using double strands of Patons Grace cotton yarn and I am in love with working with it and will definitely use it again!!

Kim

Me too, I am in love with Patons Grace, and the fact that it has a slight shimmer to it, unlike some of the other cottons. It is so smooth, doesn't split and works up fast.

Just some pics of stuff I completed that was on my list, not posting them in show and tell, so I guess it's OK to put them here. They are clickable if anyone wants.

th_HPIM0656.jpg

th_HPIM0655.jpg

th_HPIM0652.jpg

th_HPIM0651.jpg

The ribbon shawl in multi color squares, the book tote and hat are for same person.

The Boucle lap ghan, when it was at 50%. and a close up to show the stitches use, V stitch and double crochet. I didn't want to have to border or fringe it, so I used a pattern I created to make it faster. It is a 2 strander.

Me too, I am in love with Patons Grace, and the fact that it has a slight shimmer to it, unlike some of the other cottons. It is so smooth, doesn't split and works up fast.

That's what I love about it too! It's really, really nice to work with. I'm doing a free shawl pattern from the Lion Brand site. I'll look it up and post the link. It's a really nice pattern.

I love the pics you posted! The colors are really nice and I love the tote/purse!!

Kim

Archived