Having Fun & Getting It Done CAL/KAL 4th Quarter!

Welcome, Lynn! I look forward to seeing your completed projects.

Status update:

I've written the pattern for my hat... I'm calling it La Belle Chapeau. Now I've just got to get out of my funk and get into a modeling mood so I can get some pictures of it. lol

I'm working on my scarflet and so far I'm liking it. I went with winging it and found a stitch pattern I liked. I'm running with it now. I've got 9 inches of it done since late last night. :hook I'm thinking it's going to be between 20 - 24 inches long. I've got a tiny neck.

I was going to work on my mom's afghan today, but I just can't get in the mood to do it. I'm learning that I really don't like making afghans. :lol My patience wears out way too easily with them.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've written the pattern for my hat... I'm calling it La Belle Chapeau. Now I've just got to get out of my funk and get into a modeling mood so I can get some pictures of it. lol

I'm working on my scarflet and so far I'm liking it. I went with winging it and found a stitch pattern I liked. I'm running with it now. I've got 9 inches of it done since late last night. :hook I'm thinking it's going to be between 20 - 24 inches long. I've got a tiny neck.

I was going to work on my mom's afghan today, but I just can't get in the mood to do it. I'm learning that I really don't like making afghans. :lol My patience wears out way too easily with them.

I hope you get in the mood to take some pics soon. Seeing other people's progress gets me motivated! :wooI do like making afghans but I understand what you are saying. My first afghan I made in like 3 weeks and now that I see so many other projects out there I am slowing down big time. And then there is yarn on sales. And oh my gosh.... the list goes on.:gallery So I will help be your cheerleader :cheer and :boxkick you in the butt person. So everybody lets see some FO pics!!! (I have an excuse at least I can't show off my FO due to it is for a friend at the ville. :devil)

Good to see you're moving along on your projects! A suggestion on afghans (learned from experience): I usually have a few smaller projects going at the same time as an afghan. That way I can work a few rows/rounds on the afghan, take a break from it to work on a small project, then go back to the afghan. This helps break up the monotony and frustration I encounter in working on large projects like afghans.

Update: I have nothing done. :grumpy

I keep thinking I will post when I have something to say---well I have started and frogged one baby blanket two or three times, I can't seem to get a pattern going that I like.

So I have stopped working on it and I am starting the lace wrap for a friend. I have one row done! I am planning to get a few more done tonight.

Good to see you're moving along on your projects! A suggestion on afghans (learned from experience): I usually have a few smaller projects going at the same time as an afghan. That way I can work a few rows/rounds on the afghan, take a break from it to work on a small project, then go back to the afghan. This helps break up the monotony and frustration I encounter in working on large projects like afghans.

Thanks for the tip Lissa!

I keep thinking I will post when I have something to say---well I have started and frogged one baby blanket two or three times, I can't seem to get a pattern going that I like.

So I have stopped working on it and I am starting the lace wrap for a friend. I have one row done! I am planning to get a few more done tonight.

Aww... don't beat yourself up about that baby blanket, Jen. You'll find a pattern that you like, I'm sure of it! Good luck on the wrap! :hug

I hope you get in the mood to take some pics soon. Seeing other people's progress gets me motivated! :wooI do like making afghans but I understand what you are saying. My first afghan I made in like 3 weeks and now that I see so many other projects out there I am slowing down big time. And then there is yarn on sales. And oh my gosh.... the list goes on.:gallery So I will help be your cheerleader :cheer and :boxkick you in the butt person. So everybody lets see some FO pics!!! (I have an excuse at least I can't show off my FO due to it is for a friend at the ville. :devil)

Thank you so much Ashley! I'm usually the boot in the butt person around my parts; it's nice to know I can have one when I need one. :lol Those yarn sales are evil! I've been having to talk myself out of buying yarn a lot this past week. :yarn

It's been a snowy, rainy day and it really puts me in a blah mood. I've gotten another row or two done on my scarf, but even that isn't doing it for me today. I did finish a good book today though, so I suppose that's progress. DH is taking me out to see a movie tonight. Hopefully that will help get me out of my rut. :shrug

I agree. :yes I try and treat my afghan like a chore sometimes. I try to do like one to two rows or something like that a day. Or you can always do the wait till the last moment to make you get yourself going. :heehee

You don't need to have something done to post here. If you want help brainstorming or whatever. Just ask. :yes

Welcome aboard miss1110, always nice to see a new member join in.

Mindy, the scarf looks so warm and cozy, what yarn did you use? I just love the colors.

If it were me I would say shawl, If it were FOR me, I'd say make both, :lol.

Kim are you gonna do pics of the shawl? How many skeins of the Grace did you wind up using?

I didn't do much crocheting today, just a little on the rug. I decided to do a written inventory of my stash. Not a good idea, I spent most of the afternoon just to find out I have way too much yarn, but not alot of the same colors or types. Great for doing multi color or granny type things, but not so good for monochrome....

Kim are you gonna do pics of the shawl? How many skeins of the Grace did you wind up using?

I used ten skeins of the Patons Grace and that was with not repeating the pattern for the last section. It was getting really long and I'm not that tall! The nice thing about the pattern is that you can decide how long you want it by how many repeats of the pattern you do. I could have stopped at 8 skeins and been happy with the size, but noooooooo, I had to keep going....:lol:lol:lol

We should have sunshine today so I'll take a pic later this morning when I get some light!

Kim

Hi and Good morning all, can't hang out right now, but wanted to get pics done...

The prayer shawl and the beginnings of the border of the rug. I did alter the original shawl pattern so it isn't exactly the same. Had to put black sweater under it so the Celtic Knot showed up.

Rug parts don't look like much right now....th_HPIM0663.jpg

th_HPIM0661.jpg

th_HPIM0659.jpg

OOOOps forgot the block that I promised I would post, back to the camera...

Relynn

Here is the block, keep in mind it was just a test & not shaped, blocked or tails woven in.

I think the yarn used on the lower left must have been a little thicker, and the one on the lower right thinner. They seem to be pulling on each other instead of lying flat. I also like my corners to be sharper, these were too round. I could have played with it and tweaked it to the way I wanted, but I just didn't have the time or patience now.

th_HPIM0664.jpg

Kim,

thank you so much, I should have just enough for it. You are a sweetheart...

I think I found my replacement baby ghan, want to test it first though. Gotta go make a card...see ya all later...

Relynn

Here is the block, keep in mind it was just a test & not shaped, blocked or tails woven in.

I think the yarn used on the lower left must have been a little thicker, and the one on the lower right thinner. They seem to be pulling on each other instead of lying flat. I also like my corners to be sharper, these were too round. I could have played with it and tweaked it to the way I wanted, but I just didn't have the time or patience now.

HPIM0664.jpg

I like those colours for the tumbling blocks pattern but I see what you mean about the varigated being a bit heftier. can you do those squares with a smaller hook or would it still "be a problem"?

If I remember correctly, our baby varigated was thinner than the others when I did that test.

I like those colours for the tumbling blocks pattern but I see what you mean about the varigated being a bit heftier. can you do those squares with a smaller hook or would it still "be a problem"?

If I remember correctly, our baby varigated was thinner than the others when I did that test.

I do like the overall idea of the tumbling blocks, and once I get an idea in my head I don't like to let it go willingly. I will probably go back to it again in the future, but I think I will buy all the same yarn for it, instead of trying to use different left overs. Thanks for the advice, will let you know how the new one goes, afterall they are twins and could use 2 blankies :lol:lol

Mindy, the scarf looks so warm and cozy, what yarn did you use? I just love the colors.

If it were me I would say shawl, If it were FOR me, I'd say make both, :lol.

Everything pictured was made with Homespun. The scarf was knitted with 2 strands on size 15 needles, and yes, it's really warm. Sis wanted a really long scarf, but I got sick of knitting, so it didn't get there. But, it's still long enough to do the job. I'll crochet her a really long, fun scarf for when the weather isn't very cold.

Kim and Carol your projects look great!!!! :clap:clap:clap

I so want to make myself a shawl but I don't know. I don't know if I would wear it, you know what I mean. I could maybe see myself wear it to church. Do you ladies know of another way of wearing shawls or wear them yourselves. I bought some blue joann sensations boucle (it is on sale for 5 bucks!:yes) so I am all ready for doing it. I wanted to make the seraphina shawl. What are ya'lls thoughts?

Kim and Carol your projects look great!!!! :clap:clap:clap

I so want to make myself a shawl but I don't know. I don't know if I would wear it, you know what I mean. I could maybe see myself wear it to church. Do you ladies know of another way of wearing shawls or wear them yourselves. I bought some blue joann sensations boucle (it is on sale for 5 bucks!:yes) so I am all ready for doing it. I wanted to make the seraphina shawl. What are ya'lls thoughts?

I love making shawls but I also don't always like wearing them. I give away as gifts the ones I love but wouldn't wear myself and have kept a few that I feel look good on me. Make a style you like in a color you love and see how you feel in it!

Kim

Hi and Good morning all, can't hang out right now, but wanted to get pics done...

The prayer shawl and the beginnings of the border of the rug. I did alter the original shawl pattern so it isn't exactly the same. Had to put black sweater under it so the Celtic Knot showed up.

Rug parts don't look like much right now....th_HPIM0663.jpg

th_HPIM0661.jpg

th_HPIM0659.jpg

OOOOps forgot the block that I promised I would post, back to the camera...

Relynn

th_HPIM0664.jpg

I think I found my replacement baby ghan, want to test it first though. Gotta go make a card...see ya all later...

Carol,

I think your rug is going to be lovely! Great work on that. I'm in awe of that shawl. Where did you get the pattern? That Celtic Knot is very similar to the Buddhist Endless Knot. I think I could tweak the pattern to get that look. I'm in need of a new shawl also. lol

I see what you mean about your tumbling blocks experience. I think it's good concept but I agree that is does need tweaking to look right. Thanks so much for sharing your trial run! The yellow section looks perfect, at least from what I can tell.

Have fun making your card!

Relynn, Thank You for the compliment. The pattern was on friendshipshawl.org a branch of WUA. They had a few other shawls there too...

Ashley, I LOVE Sensations Boucle, but haven't worked on Seraphina.

Shawls are so much easier to throw on instead of a sweater, just to keep shoulders warm. You can tie them or fasten with a brooch, if you need to keep hands free.

Years ago they served to cover heads as well as shoulders, carry things, wrap the baby when it got chilly, cover your legs like a lap ghan, worn over the hips (young girls still do that), it was a wear anyway, take anywhere and use anyhow you needed to. Sort of like our basic little black dress, it could be everyday, dressup and working, and/or as casual as you want. Except you can't carry goods or the baby in a little black dress :lol

Kim, The shawl is just great, The color is so attractive.

I can't wait to start on mine, but I must keep my mind on getting this rug done. As soon as it is done then the shawl and baby ghan are next.

Minerva, Awwww, it is so pretty and soft looking but homespun and I don't get along.

I've tried all different hooks and still get frustrated with it. I can really appreciate how much work you put into it, especially knowing it is homespun...

Finished making my cards for the shawls and other things made, gotta go to deli and pick up some basics I am low on, got an offer for a ride and really need to get going,

Thank you all for the lovely comments, see you tonight...

Started working :crocheting again last night on my 4.5 hr afghan, I set it aside to work on christmas gifts in november and hadn't touched it since, my goal is to get it done this weekend..... yeah it says 4.5hrs but thats not happening! but it still works up faster then any other afghan! :hook

Started working :crocheting again last night on my 4.5 hr afghan, I set it aside to work on christmas gifts in november and hadn't touched it since, my goal is to get it done this weekend..... yeah it says 4.5hrs but thats not happening! but it still works up faster then any other afghan! :hook

With the weather being so cold this weekend, it's a great time to work on an afghan!!:wbrr

Kim

Archived