~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

Here's a really cool site on how to knit socks. Wow I was reading the site Socks 101 and they make it sound very easy to learn how to knit socks. On my next trip to the LYS I plan on picking up some DPNs and thin sock yarn. I am going to call around to the few yarn shops and see if they have Knitting Pure and Simple Beginners Sock pattern. I wonder, can that pattern be order on line, do anyone know???????????????? :think Anyway Happy New Years May it be a great year for learning whatever craft we want to learn.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to find something else to knit until that sweater pattern is back in stock :yes I'm not doing socks :2nono Might try some dishcloths. But of course DH goes back to work tomorrow after vacation and I have that spiffy new knitting machine I haven't tried yet because I didn't want him taking it over. He has a tendency to do that sometimes. He likes my toys and wants to use them too :lol I think it's payback for that chop saw I took over :lol

Now if you all didn't think I was nuts yet here are two pictures I found online that I really want to learn how to make in the future. NOTE that I have NOT made these - I only dream of making these!!

This one is a free online pattern called Icelandic lace shawl. It looks amazing and maybe I might be able to tackle it on day (once I learn how to do lacey stitching)

th_icelandic_lace_shawl.jpg

This pattern comes from a book called "Three cornered and long shawls" (it is in Icelandic and includes an English translation) I'm putting this onto my birthday wish list (and if hubby doesn't get it for me I'll get it for me - though it's about $45)

th_icelandicshawl1.jpg

My ancestors are Icelandic and my maternal grandmother used to do this type of knitting (and I want to learn!!!)

I think I may add this to my list of new year's resuolutions :yes

These are beautiful, it is good to have a goal of what you want to do in life, especially learning something that our grandparents did. Hugs

Hi yep it's me again I just order this book from Amazon for I seriously weould like to learn to knit socks. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1596680296/ref=s9_asin_title_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0749BG16EAXYQCDKDR8S&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240301&pf_rd_i=507846

"Getting Started Knitting Socks" by Ann Budd

Once again sending Hugs your way :hug

Hi all! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I finished my second hat tonight! Now, just to get it to the new owner, and hope she appreciates it!

I also had Chris pick up more yarn for me when he went to the Wool Gathering so I have enough to make 2 more hats. Hopefully I'll be able to keep one for myself. My brother asked if I could make him one, and I think I may have to send him on his merry way to pick out the yarn for it.

I think I should cut back a bit on this knitting because I haven't picked up a hook in a long time!

Amy, you are really getting into knitting by the sounds of it.

I am still plugging away on my first dishcloth! It is going so slowly, that I got frustrated and crocheted a dishcloth. (that took about 35 minutes.) The knitted on doesn't look all hat great, but I'm learning.

The fact that I am trying to knit is exciting to my mom, who is an expert knitter. She tried to give me some pointers when we were there last week, but she makes it look so easy and it still feels awkward to me.

Can anyone recommend a good website for learning to knit? I need instructions with big, clear, color pics....LOL, think baby-steps! :blush I had forgotten how clumsy knitting can feel in the beginning!

Kim

Can anyone recommend a good website for learning to knit? I need instructions with big, clear, color pics....LOL, think baby-steps! :blush I had forgotten how clumsy knitting can feel in the beginning!

Kim

Yeah, check the first post in this thread. Julie put links to sites that had videos. I wouldn't have been able to do it at all without those. They made those complicated drawings and text in the book seem so simple :yes

Okie dokie....ordered that sweater pattern (along with a bunch of other stuff I just had to have :rolleyes) last night. It's no longer marked out of stock so hopefully it'll be here in a week to 10 days. Gonna see just how "beginner" that thing really is. Can you tell I'm a bit skeptical? I know. It's hard to tell :lol :lol

Yeah, check the first post in this thread. Julie put links to sites that had videos. I wouldn't have been able to do it at all without those. They made those complicated drawings and text in the book seem so simple :yes

Thanks.

Kim

Well, I finished a practice washcloth, done in garter stitch. For some odd reason, I did it with pink varigated cotton yarn (I hate pink). My sister, however, loved it and just had to have it. So, much like my crochet projects, it's gone before I really even get to look at it. :-) I'm working on a scarf now, again in garter stitch (still working on keeping my tension even). It's purple, and oddly enough is coordinates with my sister's new winter coat just perfectly. Hmmmmm.... I think I'll make her a hat, and maybe some mittens (both crocheted, most likely) to go with the scarf. I'm about half finished with the scarf. I'll post pics when it's done.

I'm sooo excited! I cast on this morning my first pair of socks. This will be the first project that I'll finish. I tried yesterday with casting on, but for some reason, my fingers didn't want to purl. So instead of getting frustrated, I just tore off the yarn from my dpns. I tried a different yarn this morning and that seems to have done the trick. I'm already a few rows into my heel flap.

As soon as I find the camera, I'll take a picture. I'm using knit picks wool of the andes in blueberry. I'm using 4 size 3 dpns. And this site as a guide.

Morning Meg !

Good fo you ! I am so excited for you ! I still need to tackle this at some point. I have gotten myself into a corner with so many CAL's, now I have to find a way to finish some of them up and get more time in here again .

I am printing offf the pattern link you sent and will try to make it to a store with the right supplies or else order them online.

Thanks again and keep us updated .

Well, I finished a practice washcloth, done in garter stitch. For some odd reason, I did it with pink varigated cotton yarn (I hate pink). My sister, however, loved it and just had to have it. So, much like my crochet projects, it's gone before I really even get to look at it. :-) I'm working on a scarf now, again in garter stitch (still working on keeping my tension even). It's purple, and oddly enough is coordinates with my sister's new winter coat just perfectly. Hmmmmm.... I think I'll make her a hat, and maybe some mittens (both crocheted, most likely) to go with the scarf. I'm about half finished with the scarf. I'll post pics when it's done.

:lol :lol This is exactly why I don't show my sister anything I might wanna keep. Let's see :scrachin Last year she took off with an afghan, 2 scarves, half a dozen dishcloths and she tried to swipe my FBB but even my generosity has its limits :lol

Julie - Oh I don't there'll be a day where I teach anyone anything about knitting :lol

I'm bored with my mindless stadium blanket for my BIL. Think I might try a knit dishcloth too since you said they were thinner. Yep, think that's what I'm gonna do :yes

Cara- yea, I definitely like knitted dishcloths better than crocheted ones ( if you're gonna USE them)

They wring out really thin and kinda get all wonky shaped when you use them, but a trip through the washer and dryer and they are as good as new .

I don't like real thick dishcloths .

Cara- yea, I definitely like knitted dishcloths better than crocheted ones ( if you're gonna USE them)

They wring out really thin and kinda get all wonky shaped when you use them, but a trip through the washer and dryer and they are as good as new .

I don't like real thick dishcloths .

Oh yes, that's all I use :yes Nothing stores have to offer come even close to the handmade cotton cloths. But I'd like something more than the two same patterns over and over :lol I don't like the real thick ones either except for the floors and I make those bigger anyway to fit on my Swiffer thingy. They make a good mop :yes

Very good Megan!! :clap So how much trouble are you having keeping which needle is which straight?

I guess I'm not really thinking about it much. I'm to the point now where I'm just working with 2 needles and going back and forth in rows. So I'm not really thinking too much. The guide that I'm using is very simple and has LOTS of pictures. I'm sure once I turn the heel then I will have to think more. But so far, I've just been listening to my knit picks podcast and reading the boards when there's a new update to one I've been reading.

The only problem I'm really having is counting my rows. I need to find the supplies so I can make myself some stitch markers.

Wow, Megan, you're really moving along on those. I am finding that it takes more co-ordination than I have to juggle more than two needles...actually I have trouble even with two needles. Although my mom insists that it just takes practice.

I don't mind crocheted dishcloths but I usually make them a lacy or a mesh design so that they are thin. I also use larger hooks than the yarn calls for. I don't like thick cloths either. However, if I had to rely on myself for knitted cloths, I'd only get a few a year. I like to have about 10 dishcloths so that I always have a fresh one available.

Archived