~ The KnitWits ~

JulieKay

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I throw too. Can't do that continental thing even though it looks like it'd be so much easier. Just not coordinated enough for that :lol

Hoping my AA order comes in today. Expected it yesterday actually but it'll be here soon. It has that sweater pattern that they swear is a beginner project. I'm actually feeling more confident about it but I haven't seen the pattern yet :wink I have the yarn all picked out and ready to go :yes

Okay got out to go to JoAnn's this morning. Love having a nephew who's a good enough boy to come into town just to run me to the post office and empty the trash barrels. Sometimes he annoys the crap outta me but mostly he's very endearing :manyheart Anyway, I digress....did some searching on the web about the needle sizes for the Oregon. Good thing too. Turns out it requires size 4 and size 6 needles. That should be fun :P Didn't have any that small so I had him take me so I coul pick some up. So. Now I'm all set. Have my needles. Have my yarn. Now just need that pattern :mail

what or how is the throwing method? I have no clue what it is called that I do I just do it LOL. I tried to figure out how if your right handed you hold the yarn in your right hand but for the life of me I cant figure it out LOL.

Hi Guys

Thought I'd stop in and give you a "sock" report. I finally caught the yarn lady in yesterday and got my yarn, dpn's and pattern for socks, so it's all ready to roll as soon as I am . I need to spend more time getting that scarf finished before taking on these socks.

She said i can come in and ask her questions, but I'll have to call and make sure she is in or can come in that day-- she is kinda retired and takes lots of vacation breaks, so it's hard to catch her. she is also going on a 6 week trip in about 10 more days, so if I dont catch her before then, I'll have a long wait .

Didn't get the Oregon pattern yesterday :no Hoping it shows up today :yes

Hope it comes soon, Cara, it is annoying when you have almost everything and are eager to start and only one thing is holding you up. :(

I have looked at the knitting videos again and I don't hold the needles or yarn like either of the videos. :eek My knitting style seems to be a cross between the two types. :blush

Well, got my pattern today :jumpyay But now I find out that it also requires size 3 needles in addition to the 4s and 6s I got yesterday. Plus, some set of dpns...doesn't say what size...just "2 double pointed needles and some stitch holders". Man, that definitely doesn't look easy reading through it. Like what does "pass the K over the K" mean? :think Does anyone know?

Cara - I'm not exactly sure what "pass the K over K" means, unless it is something like "pass slipped stitch over ssk (slip slip knit)", which I had to use for some decreases in the dishcloths I made. Are there any other clues about what it might mean? What are the stitches before and after?

Cara - I'm not exactly sure what "pass the K over K" means, unless it is something like "pass slipped stitch over ssk (slip slip knit)", which I had to use for some decreases in the dishcloths I made. Are there any other clues about what it might mean? What are the stitches before and after?

Well, it's for the buttonholes. That might help...guess I should've said that :blush Before that it's just the K1, P1 of the ribbing. Maybe it'll make sense when I'm actually doing it after I pick up a set of #3s :yes

hmm...if it's for button holes, they might have you bind off a few stitches to create the hole. I would guess for a few rows later to close up the hole they'll have you do a yarn-over or some kind of increase and to bring it back together? I'm not too sure.

Cara- Wish i could help you there, but I can barely read a scarf pattern at this point !

I know knitting can be expensive to get set up with all the proper utensils . I shudder to think what I paid to get the sock yarn, dpns and pattern for one pair of socks.

Let's just say I added some other yarn along with it and my bill was 72 bucks total .....

GEEZ, makes me feel REALLY guilty.

The stupid part of it is, some of you mention that your husbands frown on you purchasing yarn all the time. Sam is just the opposite.

He always says it's only money, get whatever you want ...

I'M the one who feels guilty spending THAT much . So, this will be the most expensive SOCKS in my lifetime ( IF I get them made )

I probably spent more on these socks than I did on my pants and shirt I'm wearing .

Still chugging along on the scarf for my sister. I've discovered the one thing that might keep me from knitting regularly....patience. I get bored very easily. So here I am, a little more than half-way through the scarf, and I'm just tired of looking at it. Of course, I think knowing that I could have crocheted it with an N hook in no time doesn't help matters any. Hopefully, I'll finish it off this weekend.

On the upside, I do think I like knitted washcloths better...

Hi everyone, hopefully sometime on Friday I will try to post a picture of the cable scraf that I am working on. It is very slow going but I love the effect that knitted cables have. I also ordered some sock yarn and dpn from knit picks, so I am patiently waiting for that order. I really would love to learn how to knit socks, I have been reading that it is the latest knit fad. :knit There are several books that I have purchase on knitting: "Getting Started Knitting Socks" by Ann Budd, "Knit Socks" by Betsy Lee McCarthy and "The Knitting Answer Book" by Margaret Radcliffe. I have to run now and fed by infant grandson. Hugs:hug

The stupid part of it is, some of you mention that your husbands frown on you purchasing yarn all the time. Sam is just the opposite.

My dh is an enabler that way too. He's always willing to have me buy whatever I want. He's even willing to go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels with me and wait while I look over the yarn and all the clearance items.

Today I mentioned that I wished I had a serger. Then I went off to the grocery store. When I came home dh asked me why I hadn't stopped off at the sewing machine store to get a serger. Now I sew some, but my sewing is only slightly better than my knitting. I certainly don't need an expensive serger. technically I don't need one at all.

Well, that was certainly off topic. Back to knitting. Today I bought a circular needle that was on clearance at Hobby Lobby. I am going to try using it to make a dishcloth. The needle part is a lot shorter than the needles that I am using at the moment, so maybe it will feel less awkward. I keep getting the ends of the needles stuck in my sleeves. (Have I emntioned that I am un-coordinated?.

Cara- Wish i could help you there, but I can barely read a scarf pattern at this point !

I know knitting can be expensive to get set up with all the proper utensils . I shudder to think what I paid to get the sock yarn, dpns and pattern for one pair of socks.

Let's just say I added some other yarn along with it and my bill was 72 bucks total .....

GEEZ, makes me feel REALLY guilty.

I'M the one who feels guilty spending THAT much . So, this will be the most expensive SOCKS in my lifetime ( IF I get them made )

I probably spent more on these socks than I did on my pants and shirt I'm wearing .

Glad Sam lets you buy all the yarn you want. Jeff lets me do the same and I, like you, am the one who feels guilty. So what kind of sock yarn did you end up getting?

Morning ladies

Cindy- you will like the circular needles, they are much easier to navigate with.

Also, the knitting shop lady said to always buy bamboo for dpns to make socks, less slippery so the stitches won't slide off .

My sock yarn is called Regia (brand name ) made in Germany. I have no clue what the color is called. It may say on there, but the print is fine and this is day 3 of a headache, so my eyes aint working well today.It could also be that it is 3 AM and my brain aint too sharp either at this hour .

Anyhow, the colors reminded me of Ohio State-- shades of reds and greys .

Archived