anyone else have a hook problem...

too many that is??? :blush i just realized I have like 5 J hooks. :think when did that happen. I actually have 2 sets of bates hooks but can only account for one full set ( f-k) :no plus and I know i just bought an E and C but can't find those and had to buy another set today. which of course means I will no doubt find those right after I open those.

I give up. :crocheting

You sound just like me! I have been missing my I hook for several weeks but I refuse to buy one because I just know that the minute I get the new one home is when I will find the missing one. Of course, my DS doesn't help things any because he seems to be under the impression that my hooks are his swords. He has claimed the Q hook for his very own and I don't think I am ever going to get it back!

Sara

And the problem is? LOL I wonder how many K hooks I've got. I know it's a lot! With all the hooks I already have, I keep on wanting more.... of the new ones that is, They're making such neat hooks now. I bought the Provo hook set recently. Now I want the new Susan Bates large hooks.

I wish I had that problem!! lol I only like to use the Boye hooks and can't get them in the UK, so I've ended up buying the plastic (ugly grey things) ones that just bend when you use them. :(

They're probably hiding out with the missing socks!

:lol

I have duplicates of most of my sizes. and I have all sizes between B and Q. I keep on loosing my H's and I's though. Anytime I loose another hook size I always find it. But those two sizes never end up getting found! And my 18yr old SIL bought me another set of hooks. It had an I in it! Yeay :cheer(that's the one missing at the moment)

I was looking at the Provo hooks. (which is a town down from me) How are they? :think

Yesterday, I returned my set of Provo hooks to Michael's. I didn't like them. The hooks were difficult to attach to the handle securely and the hooks themselves kept hanging up on the Sugar 'n Creme cotton that I tried them on.

Beverly

I came up with a good way to keep track of my duplicates. I inherited a number of hooks and needles from my Mom and Grandma. Mom had a zipper case for her hooks. I put one of each size in the case. That case I keep in my "Long term project bag" (afghans that never get finished, etc). I then made up working sets of hooks and needles for when I travel. Small plastic pouches (the kind that came with some of the older sets) and put my most needed hooks (E - J) and I keep that in my work "ruck sack". I then gave a set of duplicate hooks to my daughters just so they wouldn't come and take from my stashs. For my Doily hooks (tiny steel hooks) Grandma used a plastic cigar tube to store them together and that I also keep in my long term project bag.

It is not a perfect system but it works for me. Until I have to work on a project with the afghan hooks and have to search for those in the knitting needle box. :)

I have hooks all over the place. I'm forever searching in all my WIP bags muttering, "I'm SURE I left the J hook in here!" I've been alternating between Boye, Susan Bates Quicksilver, Clover, and Susan Bates, depending on the type of yarn I'm using--which makes it even more confusing.

I have quite a few H and I hooks since I tend to use them the most with yarn. However, I always keep needing just one more H or I hook because I can never find them when I need them. Which is odd since I keep all my hooks in one place when I'm not using them. I'd hate to find them all at once and see how many I actually have.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

:dance:heeheeI'd swear I was writing all these posts about duplicate hooks but I know better! I have 2 small storage drawers from Tupperware. The drawers must be about 15 inches long and about 2 inches deep and wide. They sit on a set of shelves in spare bedroom and that is where I put my hooks. Of course, I have duplicates of everything. I find hooks in the pencil cup on my desk, in the bottom of my purse, in the little pocket in one of my totes (amazing how it "hides" hooks like my washer does socks) and I bought duplicates hooks but in plastic for when I traveled. I have traveled without a project and ended up stopping to buy yarn and hook just to keep my hands busy--another duplicate. Duplicate hooks are good 'cause you can color coordinate your hook and yarn LOL!:dance:heehee

And the problem is? LOL I wonder how many K hooks I've got. I know it's a lot! With all the hooks I already have, I keep on wanting more.... of the new ones that is, They're making such neat hooks now. I bought the Provo hook set recently. Now I want the new Susan Bates large hooks.

Me too! I have wanted them for awhile now. I have one of every hook and duplicates on ones I use the most. But only have the cheap plastic big hooks, I keep thinking positive that I will get those Bates hooks from Santa.

i have duplicates of most every hook that i own, i keep misplacing them. i think they sneak off and multiply, thus explaining the duplicates. it does make things easier tho, more often than not i have multiple projects going that all call for the same size hook.. i don't have to keep switching my hook from project to project... each wip can have it's own hook.

I too have a smorgasbord of hooks. I started out with Boye, ventured into Bates, bought a set of Clover, then decided to buy some steel hooks for thread crochet. Then there are the double-ended hooks, the Tunisian hooks, and then there's my stash of knitting needles. :devil

I have at least 3 g & h hooks, at least 2 I's. I only have one f so I need at least one more. I must have 5 or six size 7's because I keep leaving them in a WIP someplace, and can't find one when I need it, so I just go out and buy another one :hook

I would like to have at least 3 of all the hooks I use the most.

There can be too many hooks? While I like my wooden hooks for most things, sometimes I need a plastic hook for a particular yarn. And duplicates, triplicates, etc of my favorite sizes in case one wanders off or falls to puppy teeth.

I agree with the camp that says you can't have too many hooks. I have duplicates of the more popular sizes (H, J, and K) though I ended up with an extra Q hook at some point...I couldn't even tell you the last time I used one of those.

I love the boye hooks. When I first started crocheting, I inherited great-grandma's ivory crochet hook, which is an H in modern terms. I love that hook the best, and have never found another one that is shaped the same. The boye ones are pretty good, though, and they work for me. :hook

:lolI have a handful of boye aluminum...where I'm not sure, and it's not a complete set anymore. a few "rescued" mysterious hooks(no brand name on them), a set of clover bamboo(in a lovely case made by a co-worker, also a villager), and a set of plastic "tiedyed" hooks (for the moment, in their cheap plastic case they came in)--which I love for the sugar anc cream type yarn. and thanks to my holiday swap partner, two Brittany hooks...G and H...my 7 (1.65mm) hooks run off all the time...currently I have tracked down two of them and corralled them in the zippered hook case I have...we'll see how long it is before they escape :lol, a few of my steel hooks are in a large m&m's plastic tube, and they fit great. (the zipper case would also hold my boye hooks, if I could track them down) So my WIPs, and their bags have hooks, and some hooks have cases...at the moment, all my WIPs have their hooks...no runaways...the calm before the storm, I'm sure :)

(in the couch or deep in the lazyboy is too tame for hiding places...they like bottom of wip bags, under the heavy hideabed couch, under the cluttered magazine table...when/if DD gets into :crocheting, she'll get her own set of hooks :) )

I haven't even been crocheting long and I have that problem. But usually it's multiples of two. I almost always buy 2 of each, one for home and one for my desk at work. I have like 6 H hooks. :lol

Yes. This sounds normal. I'm thrilled every time I come across another one of my J hooks!

The thing is, you NEED several of the same size so that you can leave one in a project and be able to start another project.

I probably have a good 200 hooks now, and by golly, I Need them All!

:manyheart

Archived