opinions wanted please *new foto*

Rosesandtea

Question

Well I have about finished with my ponchette/scarf thing. I think it is OK - but just would like some opinions as to whether it really is OK or if it is totally dorky. I'd rather hear it from you all than have people snickering at me on the street.

So here goes:

pnchetteunfinishedsmfoto.jpg

Please let me know what you think. I'll probably be wearing it (if I do) with pastel shirts or white shirts tucked into a denim skirt. I'm not even sure about posting it on my blog but I might well do to solicit more opinions!

thanks

22 answers to this question

I recently saw this somewhere and I don't remember where :scrachin but I think that it would fit the look that I think you're searching for.

It was a scarf that was connected with a twist, so that it draped like yours, but it was one piece. It would be as if you took your two rectangles, connected them on one short side, gave it a twist, and connected the other two short sides. Sort of similar to the mobius scarf, but more of a ponchette/wrap.

Hi Karen,

I think the yarn is very pretty. I do think that with wearing the "V" in the front it looks too short. What you may want to try is wearing the "V" on the shoulder, so basically just turning the ponchette so it hangs over the shoulder. I think that would give it a more stylish touch.

Well I finished it up. I've posted a photo on the Show and Tell board but I'll post one here too. The neckline is much higher on me in real life as I am much much larger than the hanger! Thanks for all your input.

ponchettescarf.jpg

Karen, what does it look like if you turn it so the point is to the side of you and the wrapped around scarf part is "pooled" a little in front of you? Does that even make sense? I made something like that and I have pictures of it on my blog under Asymetrical Poncho.

I do think it looks a lot like the Michael's picture. I think she has it folded/creased at the top and the dangly charm thing on the bottom, other than that they are really similar.

Karen,

Why dont you give it a half turn so the points are on your arms, then pin a sparkly brooch on your shoulder.

Did you knit or crochet it?

I am making little scarves with the same type of yarn and it is beautiful to knit but not so easy to crochet.

If anyone is interested in the pattern for the knitted scarf, let me know. It only takes one ball of yarn to make and has a tube bit in it so your scarf cannot fly away. A bit fiddly to do the tube but the rest is quick and I make at least 2 in an evening.

:cheer

Have fun.

Colleen AKA Aggie May.

I think I found that pattern...was this the look you are going for?

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=24170&categoryid=29

:)

Jessi, yes, that's it. That's what I was after.

I did try a mobius design. What I got was a flat line right in front where the twist was. For this yarn, and for the length and what I am wanting, the flat line there above or at the bust, just does not work well on me. I feel the line restates the large line I have with any shirt/skirt combo at my waist so I want to avoid that. So that is why I am wanting a point.

The above design from Michaels is what I had in mind when I started it, although that one is a knitting machine design so I had to wing it.

Thanks for all the opinions! I do appreciate them all - it's like having friends or sisters along when you try something on, you know?

Karen, I know your 'ponchette' is supposed to be a scarf but it just seems unfinished for some reason. Are you going to leave the front open like a scarf? If so, maybe you could take a pic with the front opened so we could see how it's going to look then we could give better opinions. Right now it looks like a WIP. Sorry for being so honest. But I love that yarn/fur and the colors. Looks great on you.

I recently saw this somewhere and I don't remember where :scrachin but I think that it would fit the look that I think you're searching for.

It was a scarf that was connected with a twist, so that it draped like yours, but it was one piece. It would be as if you took your two rectangles, connected them on one short side, gave it a twist, and connected the other two short sides. Sort of similar to the mobius scarf, but more of a ponchette/wrap.

Tiffany, did you mean a mobius scarf? There are many patterns out there and a discussion about one on this mb. Yes, there was....here's the link to the thread....look at message #4 and I had posted links to several patterns.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6463

Thank you ladies!

Lea, thanks. The glasses are pretty good! There's an area on the left side at my peripheral vision that strikes me as weirder than my own vision, but generally these vari-focals are great! I didn't have to take them off to eat, and I will be able to watch TV and crochet without taking them off, putting them back on, etc! The only problem is that glasses never stay comfortable on me for long - they begin to hurt my ears and sometimes the nose area. I think it is because my ears are not level. OK - like you really needed to know all that!

Oh, and getting used to walking with them is a bit strange! But all in all, so far I'm glad I got them (they just came in yesterday).

Tiffany! Yes! I think you may have it! Now for the hunt to find a pattern!

I love the new glasses Karen~ are they working for you?

I think that is a cute length~ love the yarn... I would wear it with a turtleneck or mock turtle...

The color does look great on you

OK I have frogged 8 rows off each rectangle (this is made with two rectangles) and pinned it together again for a smaller thing. Does it need more taken off?

Is this even going to work at all?

smallerponchettescarfsmfoto.jpg

Great replies ladies! I appreciate all the responses.

OK I called it a ponchette but what I was really thinking was more a kind of scarf I guess. It is only pinned right now. What if I frogged it some, so that it is a lot shorter? It would then be much higher, and the neck would be smaller.

What then? What do you think?

Oh, it is a eyelash yarn, from Elle, called Plume and the color is Fairy Floss. I have a good deal of it!

I think it's very pretty!!!

For the length/yarn it looks like something to wear over a dressy spaghetti strap dress, to keep your shoulders warm, yk?

So it's not you, or the ponchette, just IMHO, it doesn't look right with a regular shirt.

Holly

It's really pretty and that color combo looks soooo pretty on you!

I am not fond of ponchettes... but it is pretty. If it were me I would have to make it longer.

I like it, just a bit short. I'm not much of a "ponchette person". You could always keep the top part and add regular yarn to the bottom (if you don't have enough of the boa (that's what it is right?))

Hi Karen - it looks lovely. Just a little ....short....or something. Maybe just extending the "sleeves" a little would be good?

It just looks a little unfinished to me. If you know what I mean? Of course, that's just me....

Archived