Teaching the Daughter Who Didn't Want to Learn

:D

Our Youngest Daughter just never wanted to learn crafts. She's actually very creative, but man... getting her to sit down to take real instruction, well, it just didn't happen all those years she was at home. I tried to teach her to sew and she DID sew a little bit but didn't want to pursue it. I tried to teach her to cook, but no, she just never would be a good cook, she said, so she never really listened to my brief cooking demos. (By the way, she has turned into a Fantastic Cook these years later!) I taught her to crochet a chain, but she never wanted to learn anything else and resisted mightily. Quilting? Nope. Embroidery? Not interested. Well...

We were together last week and my sister-in-law was sitting with me on the sofa trying to learn to double crochet. To my utter surprise, Youngest Daughter says, "I would like to try that, too." I didn't have an extra hook in the correct size but I handed her some kitchen cotton and a too-small hook. She took off! It was like she was born with a crochet hook in her hand! She told me this afternoon that she bought an "I Taught Myself to Crochet" book and said she is making a blanket with three colors of yarn, with a single crochet edge and treble crochet stitches! (The treble stitch she taught herself from the book.)

Who woulda thunk it? I'm beaming. :hook

Then there's still hope for me! My teenager says we have too much yarn in the house, she's not interested, not no way, not no how. You could make up a tote for your daughter with supplies and a pattern book or magazine subscription. I'd love to do that for mine someday.:crocheting

My mom taught me a few basics when I was like 6 or 7. I never messed with it again untill two years ago. Now, just a couple of weeks ago, my mom is trying her hand at it again. I think I will really have to teach her this time. She is trying to make a purse out of dc. But she skipped some stitches here and there, forgot to dc in the last space at the end a few times, and put more than one stitch in the ends other times. She's in really bad shape though (physically) and cant see out of her left eye. So I'm not surprised. She's forgotten almost every craft that she used to do.

wow does that sound like me! i think i tried everything you mentioned except quilting. but all because thats what my grandmother wanted me to do. then about 6 or 7 years ago i surprsied her when i started it all on my own. and i too picked it up very easily - like i have been doing it all my life. don't get me wrong i still call out for help from my nene now and then (not very good at designing stuff).

congrats to your daughter - i hope she sticks with it. she may find it very theraputic. i do!

:D

Our Youngest Daughter just never wanted to learn crafts. She's actually very creative, but man... getting her to sit down to take real instruction, well, it just didn't happen all those years she was at home. I tried to teach her to sew and she DID sew a little bit but didn't want to pursue it. I tried to teach her to cook, but no, she just never would be a good cook, she said, so she never really listened to my brief cooking demos. (By the way, she has turned into a Fantastic Cook these years later!) I taught her to crochet a chain, but she never wanted to learn anything else and resisted mightily. Quilting? Nope. Embroidery? Not interested. Well...

We were together last week and my sister-in-law was sitting with me on the sofa trying to learn to double crochet. To my utter surprise, Youngest Daughter says, "I would like to try that, too." I didn't have an extra hook in the correct size but I handed her some kitchen cotton and a too-small hook. She took off! It was like she was born with a crochet hook in her hand! She told me this afternoon that she bought an "I Taught Myself to Crochet" book and said she is making a blanket with three colors of yarn, with a single crochet edge and treble crochet stitches! (The treble stitch she taught herself from the book.)

Who woulda thunk it? I'm beaming. :hook

I'm pretty excited, as you all can tell. This is the child whom I never thought would come to crafts — all that creativity wasted! Chuckle, I asked her what yarn she is using for her blanket. She has no idea but knows it's "softer" than the kitchen cotton I first handed her. She has the world of fiber arts in front of her. It's gonna be a fun ride!

My sis tried to teach me granny squares when I was 7 or 8 (early 60's?). I didn't do too well and gave up. In the late 70's I took my mom's yarn and my grammie's hook, picked up where I left off. Got some books, and learned everything I could. Tried to teach my niece about 6 years ago (she still has my hook-LOL). She doesn't crochet yet, but who knows?

Ellie 13

I think it is important that a beginner get the thrill of shopping for their yarn (and hook if they want to.) They need to catch fiber fever as they stroll down the isles. It needs to be their eye candy. Naturally, you need to guide them to a simple to use fiber, like a worsted weight acrylic or wool blend for their first yarn.

Somehow, using someone else's hook and their junk yarn to learn would not be nearly as exciting. Perhaps your daughter had to get away from your house full of yarn to really SEE yarn.

Does that make sense? Hooray for your daughter's learning such a satisfying hobby!

Somehow, using someone else's hook and their junk yarn to learn would not be nearly as exciting. Perhaps your daughter had to get away from your house full of yarn to really SEE yarn.

Does that make sense? Hooray for your daughter's learning such a satisfying hobby!

We weren't at home, which is why I had such limited stuff with me. I could spare the kitchen cotton and the hook from my traveling yarn stash. I told her at the time that the hook was the wrong size but had no other. Had we been here, the choices would have been much better and I could have started her with something perhaps more suitable. What I am hoping is that she will be willing to go with me to a huge yarn shop which is roughly in her area. Sound fun?

Well, I taught both of my daughters to crochet when they were toddlers. They used to sit on my lap when they were babies while I was crocheting with their hands on mine and I would tell them they were doing a great job crocheting. That is how they got the feel for the movement. Now they are 18 and 14 and I pretty much have to hide yarn from them. They are both just thrilled with creating and tackle me for yarn if I come in the door carrying a Joann's or Hobby Lobby bag. Anytime I do something new they want to learn too. This past weekend we all got drop spindles and learned how to spin yarn. I am so proud of both of them.

Jules

That is wonderful about your daughter! I think sometimes we have to grow into our craftiness. A friend's mother taught me to crochet, but I didn't really get excited about it until I realized that there was all manner of wonderful soft yarn to use, and that yes, I could make a pattern work. I am sure she will be like a kid in a candy shop when you go to the yarn store together. Choosing the yarn, after all, is half the fun.

I think it is wonderful that your love of crochet will continue with your daughter.

Wow that so sounds like me. I wanted nothing to do with sewing, or crocheting (didn't get working with one hook).

My Mom did teach me to knit:knit I was always comfortable with that. I could cross stitch and embrodery, but lost interest to easy, to much like sewing.

I taught myself to crochet :crochetingwith a book and boy my Mom, I hope, would be proud of me.

Sometimes it just takes something like looking at a sweater or afghan, to get the bug.

I am sure you are walking on :c9

I am so jealous! About 4 years ago when I bought the "I taught myself to crochet" book it was supposed to be a mommy/daughter project. She got frustrated and put the hook down and I kept going, and going and going:lol She likes my crochet items but has zero intrest in learning.:( I just picked up a knifty knitter to see if that might peak her intrest.

Congratulations to you!

That's wonderful. I taught my SIL a few years ago and it never went anywhere but she justed asked me to reteach her.

Archived