Fall Leaves in thread and cotton

RoseRed

They are really pretty. Would look great for Thanksgiving. I, too, love the multi-colored one in the corner. I think fall leaves are some of my favoite things on the planet... I can't get enough of the various colors and shades of them and they're so fun to walk through!

I've recieved quite a few PM's asking about the pattern. I honestly don't know where you can find it but I am unable to share it.

Wasn't it here? What happened to it?

I printed out a copy, I thought from here. I'm making it in a golden cream kitchen cotton, and the printout looks like it does when I print from here.

I thought it was someone's radically altered version of a Polish doily based on a picture posted by Krakovianka?

Is that not the case?

What happened to the pattern had to do with copyrights. I would have to assume it was not radically altered because it was pulled do to C'ville's copyright rules/restrictions.

I'm not 'in the know' so I cannot give you the whole story. What I do know is that it was pulled. For any other questions or information you'll have to ask Amy.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Here's the explanation. We do not have a link to the original pattern that Krakovianka used for the completed leaf that she posted here. Her post showing her completed leaf did not violate any Crochetville guidelines.

Another member saw that completed leaf, and used the photo to create a leaf pattern, using very similar shaping. This new pattern could be considered a derivative work, and to be infringing upon the original designer's copyright. I am not an attorney---I am not qualified to determine if infringement has or has not occurred. So I had to err on the side of caution (to protect Crochetville against a lawsuit related to copyright infringement) and remove the pattern.

Unfortunately, quite a few people saved off copies of the posted pattern before I was able to remove it, and other threads have been started of people showing the leaves they made from the pattern that was here for a very short period of time.

Now, if the designer of this new leaf pattern wants to consult an intellectual property attorney and get an official legal opinion as to whether or not infringement has occurred, then I'd be more than happy to put the pattern back if the attorney's opinion is the new pattern is sufficiently different from the original pattern so there is no risk of infringement. Unfortunately, it's going to cost money to get that sort of legal opinion, and the designer probably doesn't want to incur that expense.

So that's why the pattern is not available here. When a pattern has been removed from our site due to potential copyright concerns, our guidelines that members may not use PMs or emails to get around the "no posting" rule and distribute the pattern behind the scenes without my knowledge would apply. That is why RoseRed is telling everyone she cannot distribute copies of the pattern.

Hopefully, that clears up the issue.

What I'd really love to see happen is for some of our talented designers to go grab some leaves from their backyards, and use those leaves as the source/inspiration for some more beautiful leaf patterns. Anyone who wants to design a leaf pattern direct from nature doesn't need to worry about copyright infringement. And as popular as this particular leaf pattern was during its short existence here, I'm sure everybody else would like to see any leaf patterns anybody can develop in this way. :)

Thanks, Amy. I was unaware of what happened. I will make sure not to distribute it, as well, until I hear it is kosher.

Archived