It's Dog Sweater Season!

happy stitcher

Inspired by the beautiful dog sweaters vettechjanet posted last year, (see this post for one:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56846)

I decided to make my dog a sweater. I got some LB chunky wool-ease on sale when the local Hancock's closed, so I decided that would make a nice warm sweater for him.

I started it last winter, but we have very short winters here, and it was getting warm so fast that I knew I wouldn't finish it while it was still cold enough for Ranger to wear it. So I put it away and worked on some other projects.

At the recomendation of vettechjanet, I started with the book, Leisure Arts Dog Sweaters, # 934, and lots of helpful tidbits from her.

Soon I strayed from the pattern and went my own way....;)

So although the effect is very similar to the pattern, I just kind of "made it work" as I went along.

This is what I came up with:

287408677.jpg

I made the neck opening too wide, I think. I may try to sew up some of the space and re-tack the collar. But otherwise I'm very pleased with it!

Thank you, Janet! I appreciate all the help along the way!

I think I have enough of the yarn to make another one, but I may not do it this winter. My son asked me, "Are you going to let Ranger wear that outside???" :lol I told him it would kind of defeat the purpose if he couldn't wear it outside. He was afraid it would get dirty! I said that if it did, I'd just wash it.

Very nice! I make my little chis sweaters too. The one doesn't mind them but the other hates clothes and between her and my husband she is 'naked" more than I like in the cold weather. Very elegant sweater!

Ranger looks great in his new sweater. I love the idea of the collar and the contrasting cuffs. They really make the sweater look like a designer original! (which it is) He seems to enjoy wearing it.

Ranger is very "in style". He looks great in his new sweater - the sweater is amazing. Don't ya just love labs. I have a yellow lab too - Spencer. His favorite thing is to swim in Lake Raystown -even in the winter.

Don't ya just love labs. I have a yellow lab too - Spencer. His favorite thing is to swim in Lake Raystown -even in the winter.

:lol Ranger isn't a typical lab - he likes to swim if there are NO waves. He hates rain, and when the grass is wet he looks like a horse prancing around raising his feet really high, because he doesn't want to step in it. It drives my DH crazy, because he thought all labs loved water!

Ranger enjoys the beach, but only if I encourage him past the breaking waves. Then he'll swim around and be OK.

I guess he's a little crazy! :lol

Thanks for the compliments on the sweater everybody! :hook

Archived