Hello from New Zealand.

Aggie May

:hug

I looked in yesterday but did not have time to write anything so here I am again.

It is Saturday 23rd April here, 10pm to be precise.

I know that in the US, you are looking forward to summer where we are looking toward winter. We have had a very long summer although it was a little slow to start, it has been reluctant to leave. No complaining though from me. In Hamilton, we do not have snow but we usually have a few frosts through the winter. It is not too far to go to find snow in the winter but the silly thing is, I have never seen snow up close and personal.

I am a crocheter from way back and have only recently taken it up again. My 89yr old mum, who lives in a resthome, has just recently stopped crocheting because she can no longer grip the hook with her right hand. She used to make Peggy Squares (Granny Squares) and I would put them together for her, into baby blankets. Then she was having trouble starting off so I started doing the first couple of rounds for her then she could hold the work and complete a few more rows. I am now putting the last lot of squares together into small Ponchos for the little people who think it is great to have something made by Great Nana. It got me going again and I have completed a couple of small ponchos.

There is a great tradition in our family to do handwork. My sister does beautiful patchwork, my daughter makes jewellery and paints and all the little people love to draw. I think the eldest two Grandaughters will learn to knit & crochet soon. I have aunts who knit and crochet even in their 80s.

I owned a wool shop for many years, sold it 11 yrs ago, and we used to do knitting for customers so learned a lot as we went along. If someone asked us to make something, we would never admit we did not know how to do it but quickly learned. I dont think we were ever stumped by anything.

It will be interesting to talk to people here and see what you are all up to.

I hope there is a bit of chat and off topic conversation as I love hearing about other places.

This is typical of me, not knowing when to stop talking.

Have fun.

Aggie May AKA Colleen.

Hanilton.

North Island

New Zealand.

Welcome to Crochetville,:welcome

Well, you will sure learn a lot here. We are from all over and we all love to crochet and chat.

I live in Florida, where we get maybe one or two days of frost in the winter, but no snow. I came from up North where we would get snow in the winter and believe me you are not missing anything.

Sounds like you have a nice and talanted family.

This is a great place to meet new friends and get lots of ideas for new projects.

So sit back, read and get ready to be inspired and to laugh.:lol

Hi Colleen,

I'm Terri and I'm from Oklahoma, USA where we sometimes get a little snow here in the winter..lol. It's nice for the first day, after that, I want it to go away.. lol.

I am looking forward to summer. I don't crochet big items during the summer. I save those for late Autumn and Winter and Early Spring.

Welcome to a great group of :hook :hook :hook

Terri :yay

Hello Colleen,

Warm (well rainy) welcome from Michigan. My husband is orginially from Melbourne area in Australia. It seems weird to me that they get to wear shorts there for Christmas, when I'm putting on snow boots! But I would love to experience a warm Christmas one day. Just to say I tried it.

I am glad you found your way here. Hope to see some of your projects soon. (and if you don't have any, there is plenty of ideas here to get your mind working)

P.S. The first time my husband saw snow, I got a snowball right in the face! He loves it.

welcome Colleen,

New Zealand is a long way from Canada!! My daughter's mother in law is from Australia...closer to you than me. I know some people who live in Auckland...is that close to you?

You will enjoy the people here...they are great!:manyheart

:welcome :welcome :welcome colleen, from washington state. sounds like you have lived a wonderful eventful life. my dream to open a yarn shop:lol :lol :lol i have enough at my home to probably do it too:rofl :rofl that sounds like differentweather than we have here, often cold and sometimes snowy in the winter. mostly in the mountains though. WE love to meet new people here and also to chat together in the chat room, so when your on, swing on in and see if anyone is in there. most times there is if ya stay for a bit. again:welcome :welcome :welcome :hug :hug vicki

Crochet Diva,

I was in Auckland yesterday at a Golden Wedding Celebration for my Aunt and Uncle.

It is about 2 hrs drive from Hamilton on a good day. The traffic can be a bother now as the motorways are not big enough now to cope with the traffic. Not such good public transport in most cities in NZ so the roads get clogged up. We will be up there again on Tuesday so will allow a little more time to allow for trafic.

http://www.wises.co.nz will find somemaps of NZ so you can find Hamilton. It is the 5th largest city in nZ but we only have 4 million people in the whole country. We have 40 million sheep though.

There are a lot of interesting websites for tourist attractions in NZ even the Lord of The Rings sites where the filming was done for the movie.

Someone else was talking about Melbourne Australia, well that is on a similar latitude to NZ but there is the Tasman Sea between. A 3 hour plane ride.

Have fun.

Colleen.

A friendly :welcome from Belgium! We very rarely get :snow here (even though we are at the same longitude as the middle of Canada) which is nice for a girl from the midwest in the US! We have had one real snowfall the whole 2 years I've lived here - I taught my co-workers how to make "Snow Angels" and promptly smacked them all with a few well placed snowballs :devil You will :heart :heart it here!

:welcome

Hi Colleen,

My name is Vera, and I live in Charleston, South Carolina, where it rarely snows, but we are subject to hurricanes:eek in the summer and early fall.

I've always wanted to visit New Zealand. One of my favorite singers, Neil Finn is from there, and it sounds like a very interesting place.

I cant say that I know Neil Finn pwrsonally, but he was brought up not far from here in, Te Awamutu. I agree that he and his brother Tim are excellent entertainers. I guess you would know of him from Crowded House. We remember Tim from SplitEnz which had its beginnings way back in the old days then Neil joined them for a few years before breaking away and starting Crowded House. They do a lot of stuff together now and I cant quite remember their new album but it is about brothers or family. I will remember later.

I communicate via e-mail with a lady from Spartanburg South Carolina. I met her on the HGTV & DIY message boards and we have such a lot in common that we now e-mail each other regularly. We even have a grandaugher each who look so similar they could be sisters, they were even born on the same day allowing for the time difference. Very spooky I think.

I have 7 grandchildren ranging from 9yrs down to 19mths and they are a great joy to my husband and me. A lot of work because, they all live within 10minutes of Grandmas house, but we love it. Our daughter is going to live in France with her husband and two little girls, for a couple of years so I am not looking forward to the goodbyes.

I am not a keen traveller so I will have to force myself to get on a plane to go and see them or miss then for 2 years.

I got up at 5am today to go to the Dawn Service at the Cenotaph to remember the soldiers who died 90 years ago at the Gallipole landing. It was a very beautiful, crisp clear morning with the moon looking like a big balloon in the sky, the Southern Cross in the sky and at the end of the service a falling star topped things off. I thought I was seeing things but the girl standing next to me saw it too.

I was with my sister and we went to McDonalds on the way home for breakfast.

Freezing cold as winter is finally on its way but a beautifil morning.

I will stop chattering now.

Regards to all.

Colleen AKA Aggie May.

Hi Colleen!

Welcome to the group! :yay Waving from Sydney :yay I am looking forward to the winter too!! (I don't do well in the humid heat here) I can't wait to see some of your creations. Have a happy ANZAC day! :D

Bec :hug

Hi Frangipani,

Do you know my niece who lives in Sydney? Charmaine Torzillo.

Well, you might so it was worth asking. Would'nt it be funny if you did because I was really only joking.

Seriously though, we also had a humid summer so a little cooler would be nice but it is far too cold in a big hurry. I am not ready for it. We were in short sleeves last week and now I almost have icicles on my nose.

Did you get to an Anzac Ceremony? There was a huge turn out around NZ today and it seems like the young ones are taking it to heart. This is good because very soon there will be no old soldiers left to march. My sister and I will march in the parade next year. We did not have any family that we know of at Gallipoli but our late brother was Army and was in Malaysia back in the late 50s early 60s. There has been a lot of Anzac stuff on TV all day too so the little kids are asking questions.

You and I will have to find our way to the Chat board because all the Northern Hemisphere people are in bed when I am on here.

Talk soon.

Have fun.

Colleen AKA Aggie May.

Hi and welcome to you Colleen. :hi

I'm from the State of Ohio .. and we are supposed to be enjoying lovely spring weather.. We got a bit of a freak snowstorm Saturday and it lasted for two days! Hope our spring flowers won't be afraid to poke their little heads up out of the ground now!

I'm a "Nana" too .. and I'm just starting to make my granddaughter a light yellow poncho. I've been looking at the yarn for a couple of (busy) days .. But today is the day I start!

Hi Frangipani,

Do you know my niece who lives in Sydney? Charmaine Torzillo.

Well, you might so it was worth asking. Would'nt it be funny if you did because I was really only joking.

Did you get to an Anzac Ceremony? We did not have any family that we know of at Gallipoli but our late brother was Army and was in Malaysia back in the late 50s early 60s. There has been a lot of Anzac stuff on TV all day too so the little kids are asking questions.

You and I will have to find our way to the Chat board because all the Northern Hemisphere people are in bed when I am on here.

QUOTE]

Yes, when I get on at night, the board is quiet! I didn't get to the ANZAC parade in Sydney because I was fostering a puppy for the weekend and couldn't leave it alone in the house :eek .

Don't know a Charmaine, wish I did though, love making new friends.

It's very sad, the media coverage on the huge turnout to Gallipoli. They're only focusing on the entertainment and lack of rubbish bins and not so much on the amount of people that travelled all the way there.

Yes, can't wait to chat with you!

Bec

Archived