Since we had a gripe, how about a shout out? Caron yarn

I LOVE this stuff! I didn't even know they had more than the Simply Soft and the One Pound until I saw yarn at my Longs drugstore. I have not used one skein yet that is not soft no matter what weight it is. The Sayelle, Natura, Perfect Match, etc. are all soft and yet are worsted weight. Best of all they are not that expensive. Its nice to find a good yarn that's always as cheap as RH but better quality.

So thanks Caron!

I just used a Simply Soft skein to make an amigurumi fish. It is as rough as anything by Red Heart. Quite disappointing but fortunately I only bought one skein. I know this topic has been discussed before and Caron said they're having problems with their manufacturer. Still.....

Whoops, that's a gripe!:P

Caron is one of my favorite yarns. It feels good when it passes through my fingers. The simply soft is a bit thinner than red heart, but I don't mind and I haven't had it split on me much. I love Caron yarn. :hook

I just used Simply soft to make a steering wheel cover. Nice and soft, no splits (almost squeaky if I worked too tightly :lol acrylic) And from Hobby Lobby (sale last week?) so I'd guess it's a pretty new batch. good stuff.

also a shout to YarnBee's pitter patter and Sweet delight yarns!

Shellie, if you like the Sayelle, better buy whatever you can find of it. It's discontinued.. Caron doesn't make it anymore. Very sad as I loved it.

I have a SHOUT OUT for Caron, too. Mom wants to knit a pattern from a wrapper, but the print was too small. I looked on Caron website, no luck. Tried to scan and enlarge on my comp, but I didn't get it right. Emailed customer service, and they sent us an enlarged copy, so now Mom can make a baby kimono for a charity layette she's working on.

I LOVE the Caron SS, I've made a couple of baby afghans with it and it is soooo soft, also made my Halloween costume with it, a halter dress for a fairy princess, it is just so soft

I will Shout and Scream for Caron Simply Soft. I love it, feels so silky smooth and doesn't hair up like some other yarns. RH makes me break out (only the past few years, before that I had no problems). I have had only one skein out of all the Simply Soft skeins I have used, split on me. And when I compared it to the other skeins I discovered the plys were not as tightly twined. I have had other yarns split on me, so I won't hold it against Caron.

I have noticed that alot of times the splitting is from holding my tension too tight, or not using a large enough hook.

Caron SS is my staple yarn for my Project Linus blankets. It is so easy to work with and soft, and washes up even softer. Made my MIL's birthday blanket out of it and she kept commenting on how soft it was. I do have a gripe about the white, but that's a known issue and will hopefully resolve soon. I think I've had 1 or 2 bad skeins out of the several dozen I've used over the past 2 or 3 years... I can live with that.

Bernat and the Hobby Lobby Yarn (or Baby) Bee yarns are my other favorites. Only problem is Hobby Lobby isn't any where near here. :sigh

I now love Caron SS after buying some new skeins just last week. It's real soft and very nice to work with. BUT, the first skein I bought several months ago was just horrible....it almost felt like it was dry rot, very rough and did nothing but split when I tried to crochet with it. That must have been one of the skeins from the bad manufacturer?

Kim

Kim, if you email Caron customer service (public_relations@caron.com) and tell them the color, brand, etc. they usually send you a 3-for-1 free replacement. I have emailed them twice now about problems I had with their yarns, and they respond pretty fast.

I now love Caron SS after buying some new skeins just last week. It's real soft and very nice to work with. BUT, the first skein I bought several months ago was just horrible....it almost felt like it was dry rot, very rough and did nothing but split when I tried to crochet with it. That must have been one of the skeins from the bad manufacturer?

Kim

I do the RH thing, but I do love the Caron Perfect match. I prettty much buy whatever has the color I want at the time. I prefer Carons white. It is brighter and "whiter" than RH. I did a project in SS and I just LOVED the texture.

I also love Caron SS. I've made many sweaters for my daughter and a couple for myself. I made a shawl for my MIL too and she loved how soft it is. I also love Bernat yarns too for the softness.

I'm using Caron Perfect Match on my RR right now & I love it. The variegated skein is not rough, but its not quite as soft as the solids. I guess thats to be expected. Caron has some GREAT colors too!! I plan to use the bright green & hot pink for a baby blanket for a friend.

but birdlady is yours hard because you were working in sc rather than hdc or dc? I have found the ss to be almost too soft for my tastes. It splits for me (because i am a leftie) but is so soft that I have a hard time liking it.

I LOVE Caron! I use a lot of the simply soft. In fact, I am using it on my current project! This is the first time I have ever had any sort of problem with it, and it's not really a big problem. In some small spots the yarn is thicker than the rest, then the next spot is smaller, then it goes back to normal. It's not that noticeable when I get to the next round though, so I don't mind. I used the Pound of Love for a blanket. I thought is was better than the Red Heart. I hope it softens up when washed though. It would be better. Still, I think it's not bad as is. I guess I use it more because it is among the cheaper yarns.

Archived