Crocheters against UFOs

HollyM

Oh, another way to get crocheting done is to give up TV....I have been getting a TON of crocheting done, and haven't had my TV on once this month. (Believe me, it's not a big deal!)

K

Alright, now I'm angry....was going to take a pic of my OTHER WIP and now I can't find my camera....I found the batteries, now where's the darned camera? Probably under some yarn somewhere :D :D

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gerberdaisypic.jpg

This is the start of my newest WIP...I have to have a twin and a full of these afghans done by Xmas for my girls. I also have a pink and a yellow color for the flowers. I did a new technique for joining, as I HATE the whipstitch method - I'm always worried it's too fragile. Don't know if you can see it, but the join is pretty flat, looks a bit like the braided bias tape.

I just had to add something new in there tonight - my reversible blanket WIP is NEARLY done (might finish tomorrow), but was getting sick of it. It was either move to this or start ANOTHER new project :eek.

C'mon guys, let's get gomping on those WIPs.

Krystal, after seeing these beautiful squares (lovely, the girls will just squeak with joy!) looked at your site pics - love the reversible afghan! looks very thick and warm... done with a double hook?

Thank you, PPL. It is a pattern called "Reversible Shells Afghan" and I believe it's on the web free somewhere. My aunt made my girls one, and wrote down the "formula" for me a LOOONG time ago, so don't know where else to find it.

It's done in a regular hook - I don't even know how to use a double hook! You first work your white shells across (5dc), then anchor your color to the chain row the white is based on with a series of 6chains, sc, 6 ch, sc, etc. Then you do your color shell and anchor it in the top of the 3rd dc of the white. Then you do the next row of white, etc. in the same fashion.

http://www.tamemymind.com/artscrafts/2004/10/29/twocolor_reversible_shells_afghan_free_crochet_pattern.php

I haven't looked the pattern over, but the picture looks the same, so....

thanks, Krystal! I took a look and printed out the pattern - I really Cheryl's site, have gotten a few patterns there before. She is so generous with her time and talent...

Krystal -- those squares are stunning :cheer Is that RH Watercolor that you used for the edging? I'm using that in my Prairie Star and I think it has the most beautiful colors.

I have to admit, I haven't been very good about working on crochet recently. My WIPs are quickly becoming UFOs. But....it is a holiday weekend, and I have grand plans for organizing my patterns, all of my yarn, and my projects. Then I will devise a plan of attack for finishing them.

I just get so distracted by all of the wonderful projects on here and on Crochet Pattern Central, that there are so many things I want to do and I begin to feel overwhelmed. My new mantra will have to become "One stitch at a time, one stitch at a time..." and soon I'll be on my way to finishing things so I can start all of the wonderful new ideas that I have.

Tiffany - yes, that's RH Watercolor. It matches my girls' room perfectly, which is a garden room - not little-girly, but realistic garden and flowers and stuff....so teh light green an purples match right in. It is SOOO pretty.

As for getting distracted, I have learned to "loosely" tame my desire to go crazy....instead of working only on one project at a time, I have a few going at once, but I have one MAIN one that I focus on. The others are just teasers, to get me through. I have actually found that I will just HAVE to try out a pattern, get a little of it done, then after it sits a couple of days I think "Hmmm....guess it didn't hold my interest" and then I pull it all out and I'm done. I'm usually not too far into it, so it's no big deal. But other times, it's nice to have something different (even just a different color!) to look at.

My yarn is organized, my patterns are too - I've got all my projects bagged up with their appropriate yarn and in my "yarn closet" (as my 7YO calls it) and just grab a bag when I am ready to work or am heading out somewhere where I know I will have the opportunity to work on it.

38 stars done? I've only got about 20 or so...you're doing GREAT!

Someone asked me what I did to join the gerber daisy squares. I figure since I wrote it down for her, I'd copy it here...like I said, tried to use a method I saw someone had posted, but don't think I got it right. Still, I liked the results. Here's the idea:

If you picture your two grannies in front of you, right side up, I anchored my joining yarn with a slip stitch on the right grannie's front corner with a sl st. Put your yarn between the two grannies and let it go away from you. Always insert the hook from the top of the granny to the bottom (right side to wrong side). I left the grannies on the table, did not pick them up to stitch.

ch 1, sl st in first corner stitch of LG (Left Granny). ch 1. sl st in next st of RG, ch 1, sl st in next st of LG, ch 1. Make sure your yarn stays between the 2 grannies and goes AWAY from you, you will also be working from front (close to you) to back of the grannies. Continue on until you have gone the length of the grannies and then finish off.

I'm slowly getting done with my afghan. I have about eight rows left before starting the edging with is five rounds. There is a good chance that I will get this done soon as I am on vacation!!:cheer I can work on it while we travel. The squares are beautiful! Everyone keep crocheting!! Like we need to be told that. :lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, I see no one's posted here all month! Does that mean we aren't making progress on our WIPs? I hope not!

I'm actually reporting in that I'm making great progress on one of my WIPs, despite having started and worked on several smaller (doily smaller) projects this month.

I'm almost finished with an afghan I started some while ago, using yarn that I got from Project Linus almost 4 years ago! :eek It's turning out even more beautiful than I thought it would be. It's from Afghans for All Seasons, book 4. I forget the name, but it's in the summer section, and it's a striped afghan alternating rows of sc (I'm using hdc) and clusters. I'm using RH Ranch Red as my MC, with Peach as one contrasting color, and a Dawn Sayelle ombre in fall colors as the other contrasting color. It got really long, so I'm having to make it a little wider to compensate, and I'll have a bazillion ends to weave in, but I'm so happy to be almost finished with it! :cheer I rarely make full size afghans.

And when I'm done, I'll send it off to Project Linus so some lucky young lady will get to enjoy it (I think the colors would be great for a pre-teen girl with a sense of adventure).

I was working on an afghan for a contest in mid June. Finished and sent it out end of June. Haven't heard back yet, but I should get something soon (if I don't win anything I get it back). I frogged 3 UFOs that I couldn't find the pattern, yarn, or even remember what I was doing. I have squares that must be put together. I made 3 Christmas stockings and started a 4th instead. I don't know why, but we all do it.

Ellie 13

when i first joined this CAL last July I had a ufo in the form of a blanket for my nephew, I had to finish it by Christmas last year, well I did one better, I finished it before his 2nd birthday last November! Well, I lost internet for a while, and by the time I got it back i had forgotten about this CAL until i saw a new posting to it the other day, but here it is, my no longer a UFO!!

th_gavins2yrblanket.jpg

It's my understanding that he sleeps with this, and loves this blanket, and that makes me very happy. The colors are a little off in the pic, this is a Red, White and Blue with a patriotic verig. yarn!

Ada, what a pretty blankie! I'm sure your nephew loves it! I've been wanting to make a giant granny using up some scrap, but not until I've put a dent in a few more of my UFOs.

BTW, last night, I finished the blanket I've been working on. It's huge: about 45x72. But it's so gorgeous, I can't wait to get pictures. I do have to weave in all the ends, and there's a lot, so it'll take me a few hours probably, but basically, the blanket's done, and I can get to work on my next UFO.

Can I include my knitted UFO's in here too? I believe I joined this a long time ago, and forgot about it, I need to join again, I have MANY ufo's (and have urges to start new projects!!!

I've finished my striped afghan. Then I was bad and started a baby blanket(knit) to have just in case I need one for a gift, which is yet to be finished. I still have two UFOs but they will have to wait. I have been asked to make two baby blankets for my cousin to buy from me and my best friend wants some doilies for her weding in June. So I will be busy for awhile. I realy like the afghan Ada. That is one lucky child.

Hey all,

Sorry I havent been around for a while. I have been dealing with medical issues.

Well, I started and finished a pillow for a friend. I unraveled a shrug that I started Eons ago. I made a few more fish for my fish afgan. I started a pair of socks but havent finished the second one. This was all yesterday! :cheer

It's amazing what you can do when you feel good. :)

Today, I went to eat with the boyman and then came home and we both just vegged out on the bed with our cats. Taking small naps, watching tv and just relaxing. Then he had to go take care of some work stuff. I feel good today too. Maybe this is the start of me feeling good all the time! :manyheart

I have quite a bit more fish to knit for my afgan. Its tedious. I have half of my second sock to finish knitting.

I dont have any crochet items that are started... yet. I have this new pattern book that I have been flipping through... the temptation is so great! lol

I hope everyone is doing well.

:hug:hug:hug:hug

Here is my UFO. it is my effort to use up a bunch of scrap yarn and to not obsess over color coordination...I tend to want to work and play with color. Being random is very hard for me to do! My only "rule" on this one is that every 4th row is black. Also, the photo is a bit misleading in that the stripes are actually horizontal, not vertical as they look in the photo.

I posted a "Love it, Hate it" entry about it in my blog a few days ago. Feel free to go there and make any comments. (There is a link in my signature.)

Here's hoping the photo works...I have never posted one here!

afghanmedium.jpg

I used a pattern from a book put out by American School of Needlework but apparently distributed by Leisure Arts. The title is The Ultimate Book of Scrap Afghans, (the crochet version.) This particular pattern is called "Southwest Passage" and is on pages 48-49. It is really a simple pattern because once you get it established in rows 1-3, then the rest of the afghan is just repeating row 3 and changing colors each row. Makes for lots of ends to tuck in, but otherwise, nice "mindless" work. That is what I call it when I can just get into the rythm of a pattern and I don't have to think and count. With 7 kids around the house, patterns that don't require a lot of concentration are sometimes what I need.

I save the more complicated stuff for when I can be alone (which is hardly ever!! ~grin~ )

BUSYMOMOF7 ~ I really like your scrap afghan. I like that you made every 4th row black. I don't think it would have mattered what colors you used because the black ties them all together. I like to coordinate colors too so being random is really hard for me as well. Your afghan just shows you don't have to worry about color coordination if you can tie them together with a main color. GOOD JOB!

I know what you mean about the mindless work. I am working on a sugar bunny and that is definately something not to do around the kids. I have 4 and hardly have the time to crochet. I don't know how you do it with 7!:eek

Archived