Rug

livedinalaska

I decided to make a rug for our soon to be adopted child's room. I've been collecting old sheets from friends and this is what I have done so far.

I'm not being too fussy with color changes and going mainly for the 'rag rug' look.

That's a yard stick to give a reference of size. I'm hoping to end up with a 10X12' or so.

RuG_1.jpg

I love the idea. I'm going to start looking around for old things to incorporate into my crochet.

Atina

Thanks for all the support your guys! I'm excited about this project and it's great to get some validation of my idea from all of you!

I've been cutting sheets in to 1" to 1.5" strips and crocheting an oval with a Q size hook. The crocheting goes fast, it's prepping the sheets and stringing the strips together that takes a lot of time.

I love making rugs. I've bought sheets from Goodwill for practically nothing to make them. Random colors really turn out nicely. How are you making your strips from the sheets?

I've only made smaller rugs from sheets because I tear them into strips. Two or three washes and all the strings from tearing are gone.

I've thought about actually buying 2 inch wide strips online to make a huge rug. Never got around to it though.

How are you making your strips from the sheets?

I've been cutting sheets in to 1" to 1.5" strips. Then I make a small slit in each end of two strips. I feed one end of the "A" strip through one end of the "B" strip, then the second end of the "A" strip through it's first end and pull all the way through until taught. Continue to do this for each strip as you go.

I'm using a Q size hook. The crocheting goes fast, it's prepping the sheets and stringing the strips together that takes a lot of time.

Beautiful rug! I wondered about the fraying, as I tried a fabric rug once and gave up because of the fraying. May have to try sheets. One day.

"Cutting" the strips has made a big difference in fraying, rather than ripping them. There is truly minimal fraying.

Archived