Who takes their yarn with them on vacation?

My husband and I took our first real vacation in 2000 when we went on a cruise. He thought I was insane:eek when I packed my yarn and hooks and a pattern or two in my carry-on. I thought that, since vacation is the time to do what you want, then what I wanted to do was crochet! He was surprised how many other people came up to me as I crocheted by the pool and said "Boy, I wish I'd thought of that - I could have brought my _____ (hooks, knitting needles, embroidery, needlepoint, etc.)". Since then, he's become accustomed to the fact that I'll be packing plenty of yarn. And in my opinion, a cruise ship is the best place to crochet. Sea breezes, sunshine, clean air and a relaxed atmosphere... aaaah! :hook Can't wait to go again!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.... And in my opinion, a cruise ship is the best place to crochet. Sea breezes, sunshine, clean air and a relaxed atmosphere... aaaah! :hook Can't wait to go again!

Jeanne, what a smart woman you are (:woo)! The conditions you describe sound perfect for :hook!

I took my yarn and knifty knitter loom with me to Florida a couple of months ago cause I wasn't driving and knew I'd go stir crazy in the van with nothing for my hands to do. But I tend to overpack everything, so I came back with most of my yarn not made into hats (I only made one hat I think). There's always a Walmart around (unless you're on a cruise ship) so I think next time I'll pack for one project and then buy more if I really get bored, lol.

I ALWAYS make room for a few skeins, hooks and books (pattern books, that is). In fact, if I didn't hubby would wonder what was wrong with me. When we travel to Ft. Mill, SC for our yearly vacation in June, I make sure I leave room in the suitcase to visit The Yarn Shop at Rainy Day Creations. I know I'll bring home some yummy yarn I can't get at home. :)

I think I put just as much thought into which crochet items to take as the regular vacation stuff!! :lol Drives DH crazy!!!

I think I put just as much thought into which crochet items to take as the regular vacation stuff!! :lol Drives DH crazy!!!

Me too! I'll spend weeks going through my pattern books until I find just the right vacation projects!

I just got married in February of this year. We went to England in March. Although I had mentioned Crochet was a slight addiction of mine, he was still surprised when I took it along on the flight.

He didn't really like it when I finally moved in and we settled into an evening routine that I would crochet while television was on. He didn't like it but the most he said was something about "how do you follow a plot doing that? Well after many many times of hearing him snore through a show and then going "what's going on?" ... I think we know who caught the plot.

I take mine with me on vacation, why not, your not always going to be busy. I took mine to Florida when I went, it gave me something to do on the plane, and the friend I went to visit knits. So at night we would sit and talk and knit/crochet...it was a great vacation!

Absolutely! I always take yarn and hooks on vacation. And I also love cruises. We're taking a Caribbean cruise in January--can't wait.

We are also cruising again in January - out of San Juan, PR on the Serenade of the Seas!

I was sick as a dog the last night of my first cruise. The next morning, I left the ship with knees so weak they would barely hold me up, and yet I cried because I had to leave! Can't wait for the next one!

We don't really take vacations, per se. More like one long weekend every month. And you bet I take my yarn. In fact, I throw a couple of things in our overnight bag and pack several cases with projects. Isn't relaxation supposed to be all about doing what relaxes you? Well, there you go.

I take my stuff with me when ever I will be gone for a while. I don't know if it's really classified as a "vacation" though. :) But if there is a long road trip and/or an overnight stay involved, I have my hooks and yarn, and of course a pattern all in a bag. Along with some scissors and a needle. The kids know it's my crochet bag, so the usually leave it alone.

I always take yarn and hooks with me on vacation. My backpack is usually stuffed with a couple of projects. And quite often, I've seen others on airplanes, trains, etc., also crocheting or knitting.

I am hoping to visit my aunt in Seattle next summer. Between flying time and layover times, it will be about a five hour trip. Wonder how much I can crochet in five hours? LOL

I wouldn't dream of leaving home without a project. One of my most memorable vacations revolved around my crochet. We had gone to Orlando and were staying at a friends condo. It rained most of the week. My husband and I would go out in the screened porch area of our condo and sit at the table and chairs that were out there and play cards. I had my crochet and in between hands, I would crochet my squares. It was wonderful spending time together and talking, playing and watching the rain. We loved it so much, that we came home, saved up, and built a porch on our own home.

My DH and I are are fortunate enough to be able to travel somewhere warm a couple times each winter. I have Raynaud's Syndrome :wbrr and I hate our cold winters. I always take a couple small projects with me for the plane and while I'm soaking up the:sun

I took 2 projects with me on vacation last month. I took along my Navajo Blanket for the cal to work on around the house and a special project for my SP that was much smaller for at the beach. Unfortunately, I didn't get much done because we were so busy. But I was prepared, just in case!!

kim

I love taking my crochet and embroidery along on vacation! It's a great way to wind down in the hotel room at night after a long day of driving (I do most of the driving because I tend to get carsick, even though I take ginger and it helps a lot).

I always take crocheting and a book to read. When flying, you never know when there will be delays and having something to do keeps me from getting mad at the delays. I also crochet on the plane. Once we get where we are going, sometimes in the hotel room before bed I will crochet for a little while. I usually just take cotton and crochet discloths. Easy to do, the pattern is in my head and I might actually get one or two done.

Archived