Who takes their yarn with them on vacation?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

trip to wdw last year-took my yarn but didn't use any of it. trip to wdw this year - didn't take my yarn. knew there was too much to see and do.

trip to great smoky mountains in one month :cheer i will take yarn and hooks and probably use them at the hotel. not in the car because the ride will be so beautiful. i will also shop for yarn :cheer !! i also take a good book.

When driving I always take along some thread project. I can't just sit and look out the window anymore. If I know I am going someplace and don't have a project started I will go thru books and find something I want to do. When in the motorhome I have a bin of thread and some of my pattern books. I have so many however I am never sure what I will want to do, but I always find something.

Marcia

I ALWAYS take crochet with me on vacation. I recently decided though that I needed to take a vacation from the "normal" crochet, seeing as how its a vacation and all. I do NOT take any designs I am working on or anything for anybody else. No Christmas gifts or birthday gifts or anything. I take something to work on just for myself. Something fun or something I have been wanting to work on and just never get around to it. I find this more relaxing then trying to work the math out for a new design or feeling like I "have to" work on something. It truly becomes a vacation for me that way.

i have that issue now. i will be going to disney the beginning of oct. i have a few large projects in the works. and a bunch of of thread items going as well. so large, some no so much. so i will be taking the runner i am testing with me. it will fit perfectly in the lunchbag size tote i have and will be a great project to work on it the hotel at night when the girls are getting ready for bed. this way i still get my crochet fix and do not have to take a huge project with me.

nadine

I figure that vacation is MY time and unless we're spending it relatives, I will crochet. Even then, we are having a family reunion this year in Hawaii and I will pack some yarn, hooks and a project just in case I get some free time.

I went to Shelton WA, for my vacation this yr to visit family and get married and near the end I was having crochet withdrawels cause I left my stuff at home. Next time I will make sure to pack something.

We have a lake cabin that we visit at least five times a summer. Each time I pack up a bag of yarn, hooks, books, patterns, etc. I've finally decided that next year I will keep the bag at the cabin for the duration of the summer and leave the project there. I've already bought a set of hooks to keep there, so now I'll just have to decide which pattens should be cabin patterns to keep at the lake and which ones to keep at home. It's silly to pack a bag each time, and I'll look forward to returning to my WIP every few weeks. Vacation is about relaxing...what's more relaxing than crocheting (unless I'm frogging a project...LOL!).

I just got home from a long weekend in which of course my crochet came - I got help from lots of folks here about getting thru security without glitches from the hooks and scissors etc - and not a problem! I even picked up a spare skein when I was gone "just in case" I ran out of yarn!

One of the attendants said she wished she had brought the yarn for her new project she is starting for a Christmas gift.

I even got savvy at not having to put away my project and wait for the seat belt clear light to get it again - First I tucked my little clear tote under my seat with the zipper opened just enuf to feed the yarn as I pulled.:sher

I kept my WIP and my little plastic hook in my lap, stopped working on it for takeoff and it looked like a piece of clothing, esp if I deftly tucked the hook under it all! No one noticed it :devil - Then once we finished takeoff I could immediately begin to crochet!!!

I am excited about going again in Oct and wouldn't dream of leaving home without it!:manyheart:yarn:manyheart:yarn:manyheart

Yarn is always in my bag, wherever I go. Haven't done the vacation thing in a long time, but I always have yarn with me. At the dentist, at the orthodontist, and wherever my travels take me!:lol

I'm going to Reno for 4 days next month and there will be yarn in my carry-on. Can't gamble the WHOLE time. I'm calling Alaska Airlines to see if I can crochet on the plane.

What do you mean you can't gamble the whole time - whatsamatter with you! - LOL! I love to play the machines and unfortunately, most of the time the word "crochet" doesn't cross my mind. I wish it would then I would take a break and save some money -

Good Lord, OF COURSE I take my yarn on vacation <g>. That's usually a major part of the packing dilemma--which project to take. One year, I brought a bunch of scrap yarn and made charity squares for the entire vacation. There's usually the balance between taking a project that's not too large to travel with, but not too small where you'll finish it by Day 2 of the vacation...

I try and take mine on vacation. Usually it's ok unless it's a 'just us' vaca. I like to watch movies or tv while crocheting but it drives DH crazy. So every once in awhile I'll make a deal with him to watch a movie if I don't crochet during it.

I'm so used to having my hands busy with yarn and hooks that it drives me nuts not to be doing it and I end up picking at my fingernails the entire movie.

Now I take it everytime I travel. I am planning to get lighted hooks before our next road trip. My husband hates it when I crochet while he drives, says that I make a terrible companion. Hey at leaste when I crochet I talk...when I read I am no company at all. He just wants me to be looking out the windows with him. I like the scenery..but I love to create. :hook

I always missed my hooks when I left them behind on work trips. Airports and airplanes are boring without a hook and yarn.

When I took my first cruise this spring I found a lady crocheting edgings onto socks in a lounge area. I sat and talked to her forever, but my hook was in the cabin. She said that she was having some luck selling the socks right there on the cruise ship as people walked by.

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise 2 days ago and yes, the yarn and hook were in my carry on for the plane ride. We went with another couple, and she too had her hook and yarn with her. Since it was a tad bit cold outside, we worked on our projects while sitting by glass windows, watching for whales.

I took my project to Jamaica! I knittted on the plane and in the airport on plastic needles (I don't know if I was allowed to on the plane, but no one said anything and they let me through security), but once I got to the island I didn't work on anything. I can't sit and do nothing! Even when I watch tv I have to do something else. Drives my husband crazy.

He didn't really like it when I finally moved in and we settled into an evening routine that I would crochet while television was on. He didn't like it but the most he said was something about "how do you follow a plot doing that? Well after many many times of hearing him snore through a show and then going "what's going on?" ... I think we know who caught the plot.

Sounds like my house. DH says I only crochet so I don't have to watch the scary parts ~ thing is I crochet through ALL our shows.

I don't do vacations much. But I did take my stuff on the plane to NJ. Unfortunately when we do road trips I am the driver. DH is a nervious driver on the highways and tends to freak. "Get off on the next exit" does not work for him. If I have to birdeye signs all the way there I might as well be driving.

Archived