What are your favorite crochet books?

Hello All!!

I've been asked to help the owner of my favorite LYS pick some really good crochet books for her shop. She has a couple, but since she doesn't crochet, she says she really doesn't know how to pick the good ones.

I've loaned her my copy of Amazing Lace and have told her about 200 Crochet Blocks. Please help me make a list of some really good books for her!!

We'll need a good mix of difficulty.......so bring it on!!!!

Thanks!

200 ripple stitch patterns by Jan Eaton (also has knitting, but I love the book)

Crochet basics by Jan Eaton (good illustrations and a project for each 'step' so to speak)

Fun & Funky Crochet by Sophie Britten (love some of her patterns, easy to follow too)

Mr. Funky's Super Crochet Wonderful by Narumi Ogawa (amigurumi)

The 'Hooked On...' Series...Hooked on Bags is by a 'ville member:yes

Positively Crochet by Mary Jane Hall (has like 50 projects in it, very nice book for the $$$)

Not your Mama's Crochet by Amy Swenson

Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting by Kim Werker & Cecily Keim (every thing you need to know step-by-step)

Crochet Inspiration by Sasha Kagan

I would also have her look into carrying the magazines, since some are more likely to buy a magazine than a book.

The Crochet Stitch Bible

Stitch and Bitch Crochet

200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans

Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet

100 Afghans to Knit and Crochet by Jean L (can't spell the last name)

I second 200 Crochet Blocks, The Crochet Stitch Bible, and Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet.

Other books I really like:

The Harmony Guides 300 Stitches and 220 More Stitches actually have a greater variety of stitches than the Bible but are not as easy to look things up in.

Crocheting School A Complete Guide is a very attractive book that is full of photos and has a lot of great info.

I adore the 200 Crochet Blocks book - I have many others, but this one gets used all the time. To learn, there is a book called 10, 20, 30 minutes to crochet - I have used that many times to help people who wanted to learn to crochet.

I have to second the Crochet answer book. That has helped me a lot of times. Of course, I learned a lot from the Stitch and Bitch Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller. Hope that helped some! What a great yarn store owner to ask for your input.

Amigurumi!: Super Happy Crochet Cute Elisabeth Doherty

Way to crochet Sherri and Michelle Haab ( geared more towards kids, but they have some really great bags and other easy first timer projects)

Get Hooked by Kim Werker ( again geared toward tweens and teens, but still some really good projects.)

Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts! Amigurumi: Amigurumi no author, this one is relatively brand new, and was really popular in Japan and they made it available in English.

Oh something my LYS does is have patterns that you find on the web ( paid patterns) in single sheets in those three ring binder sleeves. so you can simply pick one up rather then buy it online ( they talk with the owner of the pattern to buy in bulk so that they may re-sell them at their store.)

Oh, my! I have several faves, most of which are already mentioned! :lol

For beginners, I highly recommend the book, "Crocheting School", which touches on practically every technique, including hairpin, broomstick, Irish, and bead crochet. (That reminds me...need to get my copy back from a friend!) Also, the leaflet "63 afghan squares to crochet"--this is a great way to not only start an afghan, but also to learn different types of stitches and pattern stitches.

"Hip to Crochet" is nice, although some of the garments in the book are starting to become a bit dated. However, there are some great things in there such as organically-shaped baskets, blankets, hats, mittens, shawls, etc.

Any of the Irish lace books--this technique is becoming popular again, but the books are much harder to find in a store--oftentimes they need to be ordered (I usually have to go to Barnes and Noble for mine).

"The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knitting and Crochet Stitches". I have used this book more than any other in my collection. Perhaps this LYS owner could get a copy or two, and have one out for reference (some do this) so that as ladies work in their knitting/crocheting groups, they can refer to it as open on the shelf. It has a lot of neat stitch patterns in it, though not every stitch is available in the book.

One book I found which is great for upper-elementary age girls is the "Mary Frances Knitting and Crochet Book". It's a book that combines a story with instructions on how to knit and crochet. I found mine at a Half Price Books, but I've seen them at B&N, and other stores. There are great vintage and antique patterns in it, as well as patterns for the Red Cross for soldiers who were fighting WWI (I believe the original was printed in 1916). There are great pictures, as well as many doll patterns that could be easily adapted for children and adults. Very cute.

I probably have more upstairs in my collection, but these are just some off the top of my head. Good luck!

I knew y'all would come through!!!

I'm going to put the titles on a spreadsheet, and do some research on some of the ones I've not looked at yet, so I can give her a good set of recommendations.

Thanks Bunches!!!!

• 3 months later...

Archived