Does Anyone Else Hate Joining/Finishing?

cgd

Am I the only one who avoids making afghans in squares because of a passionate hatred for joining squares? I have yet to do one at all because the little joining work I've done on small projects was quite enough. Are there other one-piece-only afghan folks out there? How do I get over this hatred? Help!:eek

You are not alone!! I really dislike any project that requires joining. I prefer doing a one piece item. I tried doing a 'join as you go' item, and really disliked that too. So for now, I guess I will remain a 'one piece ghan' crocheter.

I am doing the square a month CAL, but am using 12" squares, so it won't be quite as bad as the little squares I did years ago.

Loathe sewing squares together with a passion!! Refuse to even consider a pattern that has to have the squares sewn together. I much prefer the "join as you go" approach, and, if I have to join squares, I will crochet join them together.

I much prefer the one-piece afghan, or even strip afghans that are crocheted together.

I figure the only way to get over the dislike of joining squares is to crochet join, or stick to one piece designs!!

Jenny

me, too! Once upon a time all I did was granny squares. But I no longer have that kind of patience. If I must join, I prefer the as-you-go style. Or large sections for joining. Also, if I must join, I prefer a method I can crochet rather than sew.

Ruth

Agree, agree, agree! I can't stand joing those little squares. I have made about 4 quiltghans. It almost drove me crazy to weave in the ends and sew them together. I told my DH if he ever sees me doing one of these again, to send me to an asylum. Better go, I have 3 purses to line. They have been waiting for over a month.

I really don't mind joining with a single crochet but that means I can only choose designs that look good with each square "framed".

I Just barely finished my lumberjack afghan by finding out that some people used a slip stitch join. if it were not for that, my son would have gotten 5 very narrow afghans. :rofl :rofl :rofl

I don't mind joining the squares as long as I'm not on a deadline. No deadline, it's just relaxing and do it when I feel like it. I'm currently joining 42 squares for an afghan.

On deadline, I feel like it's such a nuisance.

I have a bag full of squares that I had intended to be a large afghan for my in-laws, but I too hate joining. I hate sewing, but I've tried crocheting them together and in this case it doesn't look right. I have a felted purse for my mom that has been sitting for months because I don't want to sew in the lining and sew in the clasp. I feel horrible about it, but I just really hate sewing.

Right now, I am trying to pick an afghan pattern for an afghan for my sister, and I am trying to decide if I want to use one that will need joining; I have done a couple afghans that I had to join, but I hated it. Weaving in ends don't bother me so much.

Nicole

hmmm... maybe you should have done this one as a poll.

I HATE joining. I have only made "one piece" afghans for that purpose alone. I do make a lot of stuffed animals though. But I hate joining, and weaving in all of those ends. But I do it because the kids really like what I make for them. :D

I hate joining about as much as I hate fringe:bang

I just finished a blanket for a gift that I had to use fringe because the pattern wasn't one where I could weave the ends in (too open and too many color changes) and I'm working on the Lumberjack-ghan now. This will be the first thing I've had to join in probably a decade or more! I must be nuts! :loco Actually, it's for my husband, so it must be love!:manyheart

It will probably be another decade before I do either one again!

Anna:hook

Oh Gosh!! Yes, I absolutely hate joining squares. Did it once and vowed never to do it again. I can't tell you how many times I've seen beautiful square patterns that I would love to make into an afghan, but pass them right by simply because I hate joining them.

I also hate weaving in ends. I know it's against all crochet rules, but I tie knots. Yes, there it is -- I tie knots.

Debbie

I don't mind joining too horribly but I do hate hiding ends. I don't have the patience to do traditional granny squares because of all the ends. And I think a fringe is an acceptable option to avoid hiding lots of ends :P (but usually only for scrappy ghans with many colors) But I really prefer to do one piece things :yes

I guess I must not be the norm. I love to sew squares together and finish an afghan. I hide my ends as I go so that I don't have that poject to do at the end. I enjoy the whole process of making afghans and squares are my favorite. If I lived closer to some of you, I could join your squares and finish you ghans!!!!:hug

I hate sewing squares together. Usually, though, I get the urge to join them at some point near the end of the project, so I've learned to wait for the Joining Muse to inspire me. My co-worker is on a list to adopt a baby, so I'm making her a baby afghan. Did I make squares? Oh, no, not I! Miss Showoff had to make hexagons! There are about 26 pieces and the seams won't be straight, they have to zigzag. I am awaiting the Joining Muse....

Archived