Football Charity Challenge - update see post 1

mpmuskie

I was thinking that we should post pictures of our squares at the end of the week...anyone with me?

I got one square done today but I have decided that I really dislike the pattern, I had to add about 3 extra rows of DC just to get it to be a 12" square :(

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it too late to join? If not, I have to pick the Titans. I always cheer for the Colts too, since Peyton went to Tennessee (my sister had a class with him.) Since I am in Nashville, though, I must choose my Titans!!!!

Quick question...how does everyone choose a charity? Do you donate locally, or do you send to someplace like Warm Up America for them to distribute? Just curious. I haven't decided on a charity yet.

Thanks!!!!

Is it too late to join? If not, I have to pick the Titans. I always cheer for the Colts too, since Peyton went to Tennessee (my sister had a class with him.) Since I am in Nashville, though, I must choose my Titans!!!!

Quick question...how does everyone choose a charity? Do you donate locally, or do you send to someplace like Warm Up America for them to distribute? Just curious. I haven't decided on a charity yet.

Thanks!!!!

That's a great question because I don't really have a charity to donate to at the moment myself. The only things I've donated in the past have been other members requesting squares for comfortghans on the 'ville.

I wish I knew of a place locally that would accept lapghans, baby blankets, etc.

here is a link that will accept 12" squares, Project Rest Assured) they join them (or you can if you are motivated to, i dont like it myself) and make afghans for kids in foster homes. it is a great group and a lot of members from here are there too! here is the link if you are interested: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/project_rest_assured/

I haven't chosen my charity either. What I may do...last year, I crocheted a Cincinnati Bengals pictureghan. However, it's too small to be a legitimate afghan and too large to be a wall hanging. By adding squares to the project, I should be able to increase the size large enough to make it into an afghan.

My work always have a charity fundraiser in Nov. I think they'll accept a Bengals afghan to auction off. Hoping it will raise a few bucks.

here is a link that will accept 12" squares, Project Rest Assured) they join them (or you can if you are motivated to, i dont like it myself) and make afghans for kids in foster homes. it is a great group and a lot of members from here are there too! here is the link if you are interested: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/project_rest_assured/

I'll have to look into this one, I love maing 12in squares.

My work always have a charity fundraiser in Nov. I think they'll accept a Bengals afghan to auction off. Hoping it will raise a few bucks.

I'll have to keep this in mind...my BF's mom's work does the same thing every year. Wonder how much they might make if I donate an afghan.

I pick mine locally... My mom went to an abused womans shelter when she left my dad, and they did great things for my family getting us set back up...

also I want to donate some to the maine foster care program, my little brother was adopted through there, and we have a couple of mentors who still work close with my family... They always need things for kids who have nothing

Hi there crochetstepmom! What part of Nashville are you in? I live in Donelson! I'm doing the Titans too even though I don't watch football. :)

I need to pick out a square to make for the bigger sized ones for when the stats aren't high numbers. I want to try to make the 2 inch squares for the high number stats and the bigger squares for the lower numbered stats. That way I'm working on 2 at a time.

I'm giving all mine to the nursing home my MIL lives in. Alot if not most of them living there are on Medicare and only get 40 dollars a month to live off of and of course alot of them have no one who wants to or will come visit them so to give my MIL something to do I give her lapghans for her to visit people and give them one.

Hi, hseger. Actually, I live in LaVergne.

I think that I have settled on a design, and I'll probably start on them this weekend. In fact, I am thinking that it will work out well for me to do each week's squares the following weekend during the games. Typically on Saturdays and Sundays, I am firmly planted at one end of the couch surrounded by my yarn, as I love football.

I appreciate all of the suggestions for charities! I'll keep looking.

Maybe I'll ask my aunt if the hospital she works at takes such donations. I think she works in labor and delivery, so I could make baby blankets for her to give to the patients.

I could also find out about the hospice that my grandmother went to for a few days before passing. My aunt said they were very nice and helpful there.

Aside from that I could see if my sister knows of any nursing homes or something that the church helps out.

For now, I'll just keep making squares.

I'm trying to decide between Project Linus and a local homeless shelter/support service for women and children. I'm leaning toward the shelter as it's in my neighborhood. I just need to find out about their donation policies.

I also sing with a community choir and we do a silent auction during our concerts. I may donate one or two to this cause.

I've done 3 of my 9 "squares" (I'm doing row equivalents). I'm hoping the stat for next week only adds up to a couple of squares or I may never get caught up!

Anna:hook

Crochetstepmom, it's not too late to join us! I'll add your name to the Titans team. I think it's pretty cool that your sister had a class with Peyton. That must be fun to say "I knew him when..."

I found the domestic violence shelter that I'm donating my afghans to on the internet actually. I knew I wanted to give to a domestic violence shelter so I just googled it. Once I had found one in my community, I called them to get their donation policy. They were very kind and although they have 80 beds, I was told they would gladly accept anything, even if I didn't have enough for all the beds.

Also, it's time again to start thinking about this week's games. This week the stat we will use will be total offensive yardage. Like with time of possession, you can add the numbers down. I know I can't make over 100 squares in a week lol. Also, if you would like to post the total number of squares you made this past week (and photos too if you would like) on Saturday, I will keep a running tally for everyone, both individually and by team. Let's see which team can make the most!

I am doing 4" squares so I made 32 green ones (for the Eagles) and 36 yellow ones (for the Steelers). The squares work up quickly and I can get a lot done in one night!

Does anyone have the stats for Arizona? I have plenty of time on my hands tonight!

Will try and get a pics posted tomorrow.

Have a great day!:hook

I easily made one square (for the Bengals' 28 minute TOP). I ended up making four squares. Seems a little low, but I have a lot on my plate this week, plus the game was on Monday (and I was at the game), so that cut into my time.

What I'll do from now on is start my squares during the game. By the end of the game (or soon after), I'll know how many squares I need and plan accordingly. Hopefully I'll make a few more squares than necessary.

I figured I need about 40 or 50 squares by mid-November to finish off by Bengals afghan for charity. I'll post pix of everything...as soon as I find my camera adapter.

Archived