Football Charity Challenge - update see post 1

mpmuskie

Last year, there was a Super Bowl challenge. The goal was to crochet squares for Warm-Up America during the Super Bowl. This yeaar, I thought about Challenging the members of crochetville to help during the entire football season.

This is what I'm thinking. Every week, the number of squares that we should try to get done will be based on a different stat. Each person will pick a team to be "on." Tuesday morning, I will post the stat that will be worked on that week. For example, if the stat to be worked that particular week is number of touchdowns scored, Tuesday morning, I will post the number of touchdowns scored by every team in the league. Each participant will not have to crochet the total number of squares corresponding to the total number of touchdown scored in the whole league, but only the number of touchdowns scored by the team they choose to support.

Example: I choose to support the the Pittsburgh Steelers and this week, they scored two touchdowns, so I wwould work at least two squares for charity. The charity will be of your own choosing. And there can be more than one person supporting any particular team.

If this makes any sense, and there is interest, by the end of August, I will post the names of all the teams in the NFL, and you can begin choosing which team you would like to support. The official Kick-off to the season isn't until the first week of September. There are 16 weeks in the regular season. I know that we can make a difference.

If you are interested, or have any questions, just post them here, and I will answer them as quickly as possible.

This is in no way officially connected to the NFL or any particular charity. It's just something I had the idea to do.

Football Challenge participants and teams

Pittsburgh Steelers

Mpmuskie 64

beckypete

robbepete 67

The crochet fanatic 36

tamugrad02 29

awnm 9

leslieg 144 + 5 shawls

Philadelphia Eagles

The crochet fanatic 32

Slicer 12

Green Bay Packers

uwcheese

gingerbeary

gramof11 24

bizzyboppers

angelfire 42

coolhockeymom

Kelly a 41

b1jah2 3

New England Patriots

Stargazingirly 25

Washington Redskins

scc51055 28

Cincinnatti Bengals

Ladybebop 38

NY Giants

mommy2jj3604

Buffalo Bills

mommy2jj3604

Indianapolis Colts

coolhockeymom

afswife 43

Philly

Chicago Bears

Itsgeetee

Minnesota Vikings

Danijoy 39

Sewnsew 34

Tennessee Titans

Afswife 39

hseger 87

crochetstepmom

Arizona Cardinals

Thecrochetfanatic 35

No preference

Vickietoria

Week 11 stat

Interceptions thrown

The number of times your quarterback threw the ball and it was caught by a member of the opposing team. Bears 0

Bengals 4

Bills 1

Cardinals 0

Colts 2

Eagles 3

Giants 0

Packers 0

Patriots 0

Redskins 1

Steelers 1

Titans Monday Night

Vikings 1

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:cheer OK! I'm game!

Hubby is a big football fanatic so when football season arrives, it's on all the time!

I want to start making some afghans for local charities and this would be a great way to get squares made!

Now of course I will have to go with the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers ( I route for both being from Pennsylvania!). So I would be doing TD's from both teams!

This would be a great idea with college teams also (Penn State for example--can ya tell I'm from Pennsylvania! LOL!).

THANK YOU!

I hope more people join in on this!:yes

Please keep me updated!

Have a great day!:hook

I want to play too. My team will have to be the Green Bay Packers, of course!!!!!

Any other Packer fans out there? Think of what we could do if we had a whole "team" of Packer crocheters to work on charity blocks!!!!

Sounds like fun!

Debbie

uwcheese

This sounds like fun, I'm in!! There are a ton of Steelers fans out there, and here's one more. Haven't decided if I'm going to double up and do college or not, but if I do it will be the Texas Aggies (note the screen name). Ok, we haven't started yet, right? Or do I need to get crocheting for the game last week? And we get to pick our own charity to send to? Just want to make sure I have the details down. This is going to be so much fun!!

Another Steeler fan here!

I'm probably up for this, but I need to see what kind of progress I'm making on projects with deadlines. I'll let you know for sure by the time the season starts.

Count me in!!!! And ..... ta da.....another GREEN BAY PACKERS fan. We have sports here 24/7....I am the only female of a family of four. Football is big at our house even though we live in Jacksonville Jaguar country, we are Packers fans. We have the NFL Sunday ticket package and get almost all the games. It's a party atmosphere at the house on Sunday's. I set up a buffet table with "game" food and we watch football into the night. This is my favorite time of year and I look forward to it. I will have my crochet hook and yarn right beside me on the couch!!!

Count me in!!!! And ..... ta da.....another GREEN BAY PACKERS fan. We have sports here 24/7....I am the only female of a family of four. Football is big at our house even though we live in Jacksonville Jaguar country, we are Packers fans. We have the NFL Sunday ticket package and get almost all the games. It's a party atmosphere at the house on Sunday's. I set up a buffet table with "game" food and we watch football into the night. This is my favorite time of year and I look forward to it. I will have my crochet hook and yarn right beside me on the couch!!!

Oh, I forgot, my college team would be the Florida Gator's!

I am in too.......

Not sure which team i would root for....the closest would be the Redskins, but dont think i would pick them.....i will let you know who i pick.......maybe i will get dh involved...let him pick the team and i will make the squares! for a college team i think it would probably be penn state....he went there for 2 years and that is where we both grew up.

I have way too much on my plate right now to join in this challenge but I just wanted to say this is a great idea! If I were participating, my NFL team would have to be Tennessee Titans (I love Vince Young!!) and my college team would of course be the Texas Longhorns! I can't believe there's an Aggie on crochetville... :lol (totally joking! some of my best friends are aggies - there's just a fierce rivalry between the Longhorns and Aggies...)

:lol (totally joking! some of my best friends are aggies - there's just a fierce rivalry between the Longhorns and Aggies...)

I'm used to the jokes....my parents are Buckeyes (Ohio State) and my brother is a student at UT right now...hopefully he will graduate this winter, he's going on his 6th year!! I love the Longhorns, as long as they're not playing my Aggies...LOL My fiance could not for the life of him figure out why I was so excited when the Longhorns won the Rose Bowl last year........:think

I have to admit I'm totally floored by the response! I thought I was just weird LOL.

The charity is totally of your own choosing. As I said, this is in no way connected to any one charity.

I figured we would start when the regular season starts, so none of the pre-season games will count.

I love the idea of adding college teams as well! This is going to be fun!

And for all ya Steelers fans out there, even thought I'm in AZ, I grew up in Western PA. So, I still bleed black and gold LOL.

Than you all for the interest, and proving I'm not totally nutso LOL. I will post a list of which team everyone is on. I'll keep updating, and hopefully we will get some more players.

:cheerI am so glad that you started this and I'm glad that you liked the idea about the college teams! I can't wait!

I wanted to take my son to the Philadelphia Eagles training camp (it's only a 5 to 10 minute walk from my house) but it was way too hot! The heat indexes are close to 100º or above!:eek

This is a great idea!

Thanks again!

Have a great day!

I have so much on my plate right now....is it ok to maybe join half way thru??(i know silly question)....but I would be a Packers and University of Oklahoma girl. Sadly enough none of it is based on being an actual fan..my DH is slightly obsessed with the sport.

Everyone, I hate to rain on your parade, but I'm a little concerned over use of the trademarked terms NFL and the team names.

During the last Super Bowl, a lot of churches around the country were advertising that they were going to show the game on their large screen tvs or projection screens, and calling it a "Super Bowl" party. The NFL's legal department contacted a lot of them and said they could not use their trademarked term "Super Bowl" to advertise their parties, and also that they could not broadcast the game (even though it was shown on network tv) in that manner. The churches were threatened with legal action if they didn't completely cancel their planned parties.

I don't want Crochetville to face the ire of the NFL's legal department. I've been in contact with the associate attorney who works for the NFL protecting their trademarks via email before (related to unlicensed patterns of their teams). I've contacted mpmuskie to see if she'll contact this attorney to see if they will approve of us doing this here at Crochetville.

Everyone, I hate to rain on your parade, but I'm a little concerned over use of the trademarked terms NFL and the team names.

During the last Super Bowl, a lot of churches around the country were advertising that they were going to show the game on their large screen tvs or projection screens, and calling it a "Super Bowl" party. The NFL's legal department contacted a lot of them and said they could not use their trademarked term "Super Bowl" to advertise their parties, and also that they could not broadcast the game (even though it was shown on network tv) in that manner. The churches were threatened with legal action if they didn't completely cancel their planned parties.

I don't want Crochetville to face the ire of the NFL's legal department. I've been in contact with the associate attorney who works for the NFL protecting their trademarks via email before (related to unlicensed patterns of their teams). I've contacted mpmuskie to see if she'll contact this attorney to see if they will approve of us doing this here at Crochetville.

Hmmm.... well that would stink... but I remember that during the last super bowl.... If we can't do it this way maybe we could each keep track of our own team scores ... Leave out the team names... and then just post how many squares we've done and what we are doing with them and pictures and stuff? it just seems like such a good idea!!

Hello everyone,

As Amy has stated, this challenge may be infringing on trademarked team names and such. I have contacted the person who Amy suggested I contact. I have so far recieved only a polite e-mail saying that they have recieved my request and will look into it. I will let you all know as soon as I hear anything more.

I hope we can do it as I have laid out, but if we cannont, I'm sure we'll figure something else out. I'm sorry for any inconvienience this may have caused both to the individuals who aggreed to participate, and crochetville itself.

So, let's keep our fingers crossed that we do get permission.

Again, I'll let you all know what's going on just as soon as I can.

Ok, this is just my take on things....but wouldn't you think that the NFL would like the fact that we're doing things for charity in their name, I mean, it kinda makes them look good, doesn't it? :think Just my thought, I certainly wouldn't want to break any copyright laws or anything. I hope they get back to you soon so we can know what's going on....I'm anxious to get started.....:hook

Everyone,

Just wanted to update you. I recieved a telephone call this morning from the NFL legal department. Here's the basic jist. As long as no team logos are used either on crochetville or in the patches, The NFL will grant consent to use the team names in this matter. I have only recieved a verbal consent, but am awaiting written consent. The consent should come in, if not today, which it has not as of yet, then early next week. I would request that we suspend the use of team names until such a time that the written consent is in. As I have stated, it shouldn't be too very long until the written consent is in. Once I have the written consent, I will update the first post with names of participants and the teams which they are supporting. Thank you all so greatly for your interest, and patience, in this matter.

Just as a side note , the woman that I spoke with is also a crochetter. What a small world!

:clap THANK YOU!:cheer

I'm so glad that we can do this! I can't wait to get started!

I am going to do more than 1 team as that way I'll have a lot more squares to donate to charity!

I am working on squares now in between other projects but need to get a whole ton more done! This will definitely help!

Have a great night!:hook

Archived