Football Charity Challenge - update see post 1

mpmuskie

All I have to say is WOWIE. I am completely flabbergasted. I totally respect the decision of the Administrators here and can understand their concern in light of the stories. I will still crochet during the telecast of this particular sporting event.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI! I'd like to join! I'm not a NFL fan particularly, but my husband is, but what I might do, is support a different team each time, like, go in order of how they're written on the first page, each week. Week one, the first team, week two the second, and down the list like that. Or, I might pick the one that had the most touchtdowns, or whatever the stat is. Do you need help thinking of interesting stats to base this on, or is it always going to be td's? I was thinking it could even be silly things like... (These are just a few ideas, feel free to hate them! :)) Oh! And a lot of them depend on the size of squares, like if you're doing granny's daughters, you could do more number of squares than if you're doing 12" ones, or whatever. What about:

-a number related to how many people were there, like if it were 10,000, perhaps you could make 10 squares, or whatever, but not 10,000!!!

-how many hours the game took to play (especially if it went into overtime)

-Perhaps if your team wins the you make an extra square (or blanket depending on your own goals, just something extra) to commemorate that

-If your team looses, make 2 extra (in the hopes of a victory the next week)

-You keep track of how many times you cheer during the game (other ideas are how many commercial breaks there are during the game, how many people were at your house to watch it, etc...)

-You could make the number of squares that is the number on the jersey of a particular player like if someone made a particular spectacular play, and his number is 15, then you make 15 squares. This might get tricky if their number is in the 60's lol, but maybe you could do 1/10th of their number or something like that...

-The number on the jersey of a player who was injured during the game, or who was out of the game due to injury, etc... Basic idea, the number on the jersey of someone on the team.

-The number of squares of the t.v. station that shows the game (again, something local that would be hard for a member to find outside of that area, maybe something that someone else could post, or whatever) as long as it's not like, channel 300 or something lol

-A percentage of rushing/passing yards, like 10% or something. (ex, 100 yards passing, make 10 squares etc.)

-Number of first downs that your team makes during the game, or just one quarter etc...

-Either the number or a percentage of the temperature at the end of the game. This will mean that when we get closer to Christmas and a busy time making presents, we won't have so much pressure to make as many squares, since it'll be cold, and lower temperature. :)

Ok. Those are largly silly ideas, but just something to keep things interesting if we need/want other ideas during the season. :) I love the idea of doing the number of touch downs though, that's a great idea, and a lot easier to keep track of than most (well, ok, all) of my ideas. I'm really excited!

Victoria

That's awesome that they're going to let us do this!! I'm so excited!! I don't think I've ever looked forward to a football season as much as I'm now looking forward to this one!! Thanks for checking it out and getting the OK for us!!!:clap:manyheart

Hello everyone,

I have recieved the written consent from the NFL and we are all set to go. YEA! Things are a little crazy around here right now, as my dd starts 2nd grade on Monday. I do promise to post the participants and their teams on Monday. I will also be posting my ideas on the stats and using this weeks pre-season games to explain each of them.

Also, I would ask that you all help me in welcoming beckypete to the board. She really is my grandma and I've been trying to get her to the ville for a while now. So, Hi Grandma, glad you made it to the board! Now, she and I are both working on my mom LOL. Mom taught me to crochet and has helped me come up with some of the ideas for the stats to use. I keep telling her she needs to get on here to support her daughter LOL.

If I have time today or tomorrow, I will get all of the information posted to let you all know how my brain is working on this one. Warning: my brain is a pretty crazy place LOL. I like the idea of making one extra square for a victory and two for a loss. What do you think? While my mom and I came up with some basic stats to work from, I am very open to ideas!

Hopefully this will be an enjoyable season all the way around.

I have updated the first post with the participant names and their teams thus far. If you can't join now that's fine, just jump in when you can.

Also, again, I have a family member join the ville and this challenge. So, again, please help me in welcoming my mom, robbepete, to the board. Mom, I knew I'd get you here eventually LOL.

Ok. I'm in! I talked with hubby, and I'm not a football fan, but he loves the University of Alabama, so I'm going to make squares for them. I'll probably make a few extra for another team, but that's what I'm doing. We're in the process of moving to Alabama right now, but I think this will be great! Hubby says that this is cool, and he likes the idea that I might watch football for charity lol. :)

Victoria

PS

You know, that is going to be a lot of work finding all the stats for all the teams... Perhaps you could assign some of us who will be watching the games anyway, to help keep up with whatever stat it is that we're doing that week? Just an idea. You've probably found a website that has it each week, and is easy, but I'm sure some of us would happily help out if we need to. :)

Ok I would like to join but I am neither a Steelers fan OR Packers fan...I come from NY and although I don't watch much football I still support the NY Giants (basically only for my Dad's sake :lol ) And the Buffalo Bills (for my hubby's sake) SOOOO I can do either one of the teams or both.....

I will join but I will have to do two team Packers because I could be physically hurt for not supporting them and because I asked my son who I should do charity suport for her said the Colts so that is what I will do.

Hello all,

Just didn't want anyone to think I forgot about thi lol. I'm going to update post one again tomorrow with all the new participants and the ideas I have for keeping track of squares. I spent all day today at a friend's house, celebrating, and bemoaning, the first day of school, and how quickly our kids are growing up on us. We laughed, we cried, it was great.

My son doesn't start school until August 27th. We had to go to the school yesterday to pick up his "welcome back" packet. One of the mothers who I became friends with was up there at the same time and we were saying about how we can't believe that they were going to first grade already! They split their kindergarten class up so they aren't all together anymore. I'm ready for him to start. He goes to school all day this year (last year he only had half day kindergarten). I'm probably going to miss him the first 2 weeks, after that I can finally enjoy the time that I have to myself!:hook

Have a great day!

Hey ladies,

I have updated post 1 with my ideas for the stats to be used, as well as adding our new players. Let me know what you think.

Also, in response to vickietoria, I have the NFL covered quite well, but I could use some help with the college teams. So, if anyone wants to help, I'd appreciate it.

We're getting closer to the official NFL kick-off, and I'm ready for some real football lol. The official kick-off is, I believe, the first week of September. I know the Indianapolis Colts are playing the New Orleans Saints. I will get the date for everyone so we can all be ready for the season. Have I mentioned I love football? LOL.

I will have to see if hubby can help with the stats for the college teams.

I love your ideas for the stats!

The Eagles played their first pre-season game last night. The way they are playing I may just be doing their score. They lost as they only scored a whopping 3 points! Couldn't even make a TD!

Have a great night!

This is not necessarily the order we will do them in, but it's just what I (and my mom) had thought of. I will try to see wich stats will be relatively low on a continual basis and try to use them around the holidays. I'm also trying, by the adding of digits, to make the number of squares for each week reasonable. If you choose to add the digits down until they are a single digit, you will never have more than nine squares to make a week.

Sounds like a good system. By adding the digits up, you'll never have to make any more than nine squares a week. That's definately manageable.

I understand you'd want to have the lower stats during the holidays. For the weeks you add the digits up, that could be hit or miss. For example, let's take the total passing yard statistic. Your quarterback could have a golden day and pass for over 400 yards...let's say 451 yards. 4+5+1=10; 1+0=1. You'd only have to make one square. Or let's say your quarterback could have a clunker of a week and pass for 36 yards. (Yes, I've seen totals that low). 3+6=9. You'd be crocheting the maximum 9 squares.

In this order, I think these would produce the fewest squares (thus would be best for the holidays).

1) Field goals made. The NFL record is 7 in a game. That's only happened twice in over 70 years. The average number of field goals in a game is about 2-3 per team. Your team could win 70-0, and not kick a single field goal.

2 & 3) (tied) Interceptions thrown and interceptions received. Those are interchangable. For every team's quarterback that throws an interception, there is another team's defensive player who catches an interception. The record for most intereceptions thrown or received in a game is 8. Many games quarterbacks don't throw any interceptions (and the defensive teams don't catch any), but I think there are at least one or two interceptions in most games.

4) Sacks. A good quarterback doesn't get sacked too terribly much. A good game for a defense is somewhere around 3-4 sacks a game. However, a first rate defense vs. a sub-par quarterback could produce a number of sacks. I think the record for most sacks in a game is 12.

5) Touchdowns. That one could be tricky. You could score no touchdowns in a game; you could score ten. I put that below field goals, because most football coaches would go for the touchdown rather than the field goal. There are normally more TD's than FG in a game. Normally, but not always.

BTW, I played fantasy football for a number of years, so I know my way around football stats. :cheer

Wow! This is a great idea! I would like to join too, but I not be able to "play" every week. I'll do my best. I am a pretty slow crochetier, so I may have to go every other week to be able to keep up. I guess it depends on how well my team does. :P

I'd like to play for "da Bears" - I grew up in the NW 'burbs and they are pretty much a religion there. Win or lose, they're my team! They did pretty good last year, so it will probably be another, what, 20 years? before they go that far again. :lol

Hi! I had another idea, but I don't know if anyone else might have thought of it first. Well, one was that you make one square if your team wins, and two if it looses. Also, I was wondering if we could each post our total squares made for our team, and see which team has the most squares by the end of the season? For example, everyone would post their total for the week, and which team they were supporting. Then, on the first post, we could see how many total squares for that team were made? That would make it a little competitive for us as well. :) Who knows? Maybe the team with the fewest supporters could win if they make the most squares. Anyway, I'm probably just going to pick a different team each week.

Also, just out of curiosity to the group, what group are you going to make the squares for? I mean, what charity are you doing? I know everyone is doing a different group, but I'm just interested to see who all these squares will help. Most likely, I'll send mine to Project Rest Assured, but I haven't decided yet. I might pick a different charity each week too. :)

Victoria

I wanna play too. I am usually watching with my hubby every weekend so this gives me something to do. I don't have a favorite team so I will just do the Vikings since no one has picked them yet and since I'm from Minnesota. This sounds like a hoot! Great idea.

I have found that the hardest part of this whole thing is picking a charity to donate to....there are so many...:think I'm probably going to join all my squares and donate the afghans to my local Project Linus. What's everyone else doing?

Archived