Painted Doily - Popcorn Pineapple

Katy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Just wow. It is truly a one-of-a-kind and very special item. I hope the recipient appreciates that. Four years...and the thread ($$$) just boggles the mind.

Huge kudos to you for persevering and finishing such a wonderful project!

Just one word: AMAZING.

I agree with Jean, I would be positively, absolutely, without-a-doubt CERTAIN that the recipient would adore it and keep it forever, before I gave it away!!!

Wow. Just wow. It is truly a one-of-a-kind and very special item. I hope the recipient appreciates that. Four years...and the thread ($$$) just boggles the mind.

Huge kudos to you for persevering and finishing such a wonderful project!

You know, I hear about this often, the "thread costs"...does it really add up once the doily is finished? If so, how much? 5-10 dollars?

These can run up to 40.00 for a large one. Think about it,it can take 20 spools of thread and they run about 2.00 a spool.......It is spendy but oh so worth it.....Keep an eye on JoAnns and get your thread when you have a 1/2 off coupon....I just have to decide my colors???

It looks gorgeous and will be much appreciated by the recipients. That's the same pattern I did in purple and kept having to go back for more thread. As you said, it is huge! I also had the same difficulty of dropping just one of the 3 threads and having a little loop.

As far as cost, the little painted doily I made (about 8 inches across) cost $6 in thread--a sizeable one would easily run 4-5 times that much. Compared to regular crochet thread--yep, it can be pricey.

For Vonnie, who can't find the painted doily book: You can do it with any doily. Just pick the colors you want to use. Take three strands of the first color and do a few rows, then change one of the threads to color 2, then 2 of the threads and then 3, until all three threads are color 2. Keep on in that fashion.

You are all so kind. I don't know how much the thread cost, quite a bit. And I actually haven't even met the bride, and the groom is a fellow I work with who invited me to their wedding. I don't ever keep these, just enjoy doing them. And actually was pretty tired of this one. That three thread technique wasn't much fun for me.

Thanks so much for your help Katy, I really want to try this, have to finish some of my WIP first.....I have printed out the instructions and will continue to look for the books, (I see there are two different ones)....need them for my pattern stash...LOL

That is an incredible piece of art and craftsmanship. I dread the thought of the couple meeting you some day and saying, "our dog just loves your bed liner!" :eek

The pattern is beautiful and to work it in this manner...WoW!

Archived