Wedding Dress

glavaldes

I've only see a couple actual crochet wedding dresses and they're really just over-dresses, you still have to have a fabric dress under them...however, I did find a beautiful dress pattern that I would love to make for my dd's wedding (she's 6 now, can you say "planning on a long term project"?) the pattern is at home and I can't remember where I found it. It's a tea-length dress but is easily lengthened...I'll post again tonight or tomorrow morning.

I would guess that you could do a lovely set if you did a skirt and a top. I am thinking of the beautiful swirly skirt that was posted recently around here.

http://downloads.oreilly.com/make/craft/CRAFT_Magazine_pattern39.pdf

With either a jacket or a pretty top, that would look lovely. (well, I would want a slip under that but you know what I mean :wlol )

Yesterknits has one, some are thread and some aren't. YOu have to e-mail them to request it.

Drops Dress ... maybe add more rows?

Crochet thread dress a discussion on here about a thread dress

Prom!!!!!!!!!!!! - link with some for more of a prom idea, but some suggestions were for a wedding dress style and maybe one of them will be what you're looking for.

I would guess that you could do a lovely set if you did a skirt and a top. I am thinking of the beautiful swirly skirt that was posted recently around here.

http://downloads.oreilly.com/make/craft/CRAFT_Magazine_pattern39.pdf

With either a jacket or a pretty top, that would look lovely. (well, I would want a slip under that but you know what I mean :wlol )

I love that skirt!!!!:c9

Gladys, I can feel your pain. I'm also trying to crochet my own wedding dress and it is darn near impossible to figure out where to start. What I'm planning on doing this weekend is going to my local sewing shops to go pattern hunting for a basic wedding dress pattern to at least get me started in the right direction. I figure with my measurements written down and a basic outline of the dress, I can transform it into the dress of my dreams. The only other problem I'm having is deciding if I want to do it in Size 10 crochet cotten or a very fine baby yarn.

Don't give up on it Gladys. I think it will make your wedding day all the more special if you wear a dress you created for yourself. Not to mention it would make a wonderful heirloom.

Darski, I saved that knitted wedding dress pattern a few days ago. I figure if I can't design my own crocheted dress, then I'll find a way to machine knit that dress once I get a machine.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Darski, I saved that knitted wedding dress pattern a few days ago. I figure if I can't design my own crocheted dress, then I'll find a way to machine knit that dress once I get a machine.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I didn't recommend the knitted dress. I suggested the crocheted skirt with a top of some sort.

The funny thing is I was really liking that :knit dress until I saw that it was knitted. if I had to knit something like that, we would be passing the next millennium before I finished. :rofl

I can't knit either so it would be a few thousand years if I did it with two needles which is why I'm glad I'm being taken knitting machine shopping this weekend as well as pattern shopping. I just hope the USKM is as good as it looks.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I hadn't thought of those. I've already chosen Royale Metallic Threads for my cape, going with white/pearl for a shimmery look to it. I plan on doing my underskirt in a light purple and the overskirt in a lacy white to show off the underskirt. I'm gonna have to bug the people at Michael's again to see if they have a large supply of nice #3 thread or those other two you mentioned.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I have to go back to my standard for non-acryllic fibers: elmore-pisgah. I love the Petal Spun (they call it sport weight, I'd say more like a #3 thread) and Super Petal Spun (they call it worsted weight but to me it's more like sport weight). They are both so light and airy, silky smooth and a real pleasure to work with!! I also thought this would make a beautiful wedding dress but have never used it. I found a pattern that I love and I started making a practice version for my dd (she's only 6yo) using the Petal Spun and it was looking just beautiful until i realized at two rowsthat my starting chain (291 sts!!) was twisted :no. It has not been started again, sigh.

• 11 months later...

That skirt pattern was exactly what I'm looking for for my daughter's wedding dress. I found a goth style top with drop sleeves that will go great with that for a beach wedding. The whole thing will be done in white crochet thread. Thankfully, I have a year to complete it. Now I just have to get her approval on the patterns. Thanks so much for saving me all the time I would have wasted searching!

My mother crochetted my wedding dress 30 years ago. It was a pattern that she ordered from Good Housekeeping Needleworks and Crafts magazine. I don't have the pattern but I did find the magazine that the pic was in from 1976.....I married in 1978 - mom ordered it early. It has a scoop neck, empire waist with flowers and seed pearls in a band. The sleeve fit snugly to the elbow, then another band of flowers and seed pearls, then they bell out. The skirt falls in an A line. I did not wear a crinoline just a simple straight slip. There were flowers and seed pearls throughout the skirt. Mom crochetted all the pieces, then sewed it together and put in the zipper with sewing machine.

If you take a close look at the top in the spiderweb skirt pdf - it's crocheted and it's beautiful. The color doesn't show it well tho. It matches the waist of the skirt and has a really pretty flappy thing. lol (I'm still working on my 1st cup of coffee)

The May issue of Crochet! Magazine had a lovely Crocheted wedding dress in it which actually didn't look too hard at all. Unfortunately I cannot find on the Crochet Mag website where it'll show pics of patterns in their past issues but if you can get your hands on that issue that may work for you.

P.S. It also had variations for making it shorter if you wished (the actual pattern was for a long dress)

My mother crochetted my wedding dress 30 years ago. It was a pattern that she ordered from Good Housekeeping Needleworks and Crafts magazine. I don't have the pattern but I did find the magazine that the pic was in from 1976.....I married in 1978 - mom ordered it early. It has a scoop neck, empire waist with flowers and seed pearls in a band. The sleeve fit snugly to the elbow, then another band of flowers and seed pearls, then they bell out. The skirt falls in an A line. I did not wear a crinoline just a simple straight slip. There were flowers and seed pearls throughout the skirt. Mom crochetted all the pieces, then sewed it together and put in the zipper with sewing machine.

Hi and :welcome to the 'Ville. I would love to see a picture of your dress, it sounds exquisite. What a lot of work. Your mother must be an extremely talented crocheter.

She did everything...knitting, crocheting, embroidery, cross stitch and sewing. Plus I was one of 7 children and she worked part time as a nurse. I miss my mom a lot....she has been gone for 9 years now.

I will pull it out of the attic and take a picture of it. I don't have any wedding pictures as I gave them all to my son when he got married.

(I only wish I could still fit into it! - SIZE 5 -

Donna~ If you go to www.epatternscentral.com, you can purchase a pdf download of that issue for $5.95. I just found it there myself this morning. The dress looks lovely, but it's hard to get a good look at the pix, as they don't enlarge in the preview. I'm waiting to see if a friend still has her copy before I buy it. It sure does look nice, though.

The May issue of Crochet! Magazine had a lovely Crocheted wedding dress in it which actually didn't look too hard at all. Unfortunately I cannot find on the Crochet Mag website where it'll show pics of patterns in their past issues but if you can get your hands on that issue that may work for you.

P.S. It also had variations for making it shorter if you wished (the actual pattern was for a long dress)

• 1 year later...

http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/needful-yarns-crochet-wedding-gown-pattern-p-1250.html

personally, i love that particular pattern. if my bf would just propose already i'd be working on it :ha but never the less. i'm probably waaaay behind in this but i just wanted to share my piece

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived