What does a crocheter/knitter look like?

Hi Everyone

What does a crocheter/knitter look like? I ask this question because of a situation I found myself in yesterday.

Yesterday for me was a knitting day...and I needed a new set of needles. I went to KMart to get said needles and as soon as I walked into the isle I was confronted by a very confused man and a sales assistant. In unision, they both said "You look like a woman who knits"....What the!

Granted I was in the craft isle, but so was the saleswoman!

Now I don't mind helping a 'husband in distress'...but to be told I look like a knitter, I don't know if I feel offended or not!

Poor guy had been given a mission by his wife. He had the band of some yarn, and told to get some more exactly the same. Now the band he was holding was from a discontinued yarn, and apparently his wife knew that, and told him to get the same 'kind', as in weight, colour and it had to be 100% wool. Poor guy, as far as he was concerned, everything on the shelf was wool (in my part of the world, yarn is just referred to as wool, regardless of it's fibre content). Anyway, I told him KMart didn't have what he wanted (which the didn't), so I gave him directions to the LYS and gave him the name of the owner who could help him. Then I sent him on his way.

But it still irked me a bit...what are we meant to look like? Is there a 'type' of person who crochets or knits?

I know I shouldn't be offended, but still.....

I didn't know that crocheters and knitters were supposed to look different....perhaps like aliens? :lol. I always thought that they were normal people.....with very busy fingers. Maybe I should change the color of my hair or something to distinguish my needlework, LOL! ........brown for when I crochet and red for when I knit. :devil

Don't worry about it......it's just a preconceived notion that some people may have in their mind, when they see someone who picks up knitting needles vs crochet hooks..... and it seems like more of a guess to me. To guess whether a person crochets or knits, they have a 50% chance of getting it right or wrong. I would not be offended...not when I do both. Maybe they were just trying to make friendly conversation, at least that what it sounds like to me.

Did you check in a mirror, you might have had yarn stuck in your hair and knitting needles hanging out your ears.........LOL I don't know what they were thinking but I would guess the sales clerk was as confused as the poor man and they were looking for a life ring and you happened down the isle.....They figured if you were on that isle you had to know.....JMHO

You're a woman. Pure and simple. Women are "supposed" to knit and cook and raise babies. :angry:( The man's comment wasn't meant as an insult I'm sure; he just wanted to draw you into a conversation where he needed help. But I'd be annoyed if someone made that assumption. If I were quick on the draw, my response would be "no -- I'm just shopping for my husband."

If I were quick on the draw, my response would be "no -- I'm just shopping for my husband."

I wish I'd thought of that.

I wasn't offended that they thought I knit over crochet...I was offended that they felt they could tell just by looking at me that I both crochet and knit. What is it about the way I look that tells people I love to crochet, and knit too.

I know they didn't mean to offend me, and were desperate for help, it just struck me as odd.

I am guessing it was the fact that your eyes didn't glaze over near all that yarn. If you look like you know your way around the yarn aisle; people make assumptions.

Personally, I would be very flattered if someone said that to me.

i agree with the empress, everywhere i go if i loiter more than 10 seconds it seems someone approaches me and starts talking expecting me to give directions/suggestions/info. i think it really is just a confidence thing, you probably looked like that aisle was your destination not just the trip from towels to hair care, know what i mean? and all i can say is if it were me there would be no confusing me i take a bag of knitting or crochet with me everywhere, i take the bus so i have lots of free time to sit and do something, and more often than not there are the pair of tails from knitting needles sticking out the bag since almost all my to-go bags are shorter than all my needles. don't take it personally, and it clearly isnt a knit over crochet thing since the question was more fiber than craft...i bet neither knows there is a difference between the 2

I was just remembering that people used to ask me for help with every question imaginable in Fabricland. Even the sales staff would listen to my answers. There yah go. I look like a Sewing Sally and not a Knitting Nan. :whew

Ego-itis is so painful... I feel better now. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Funny enough, at work, I recently was told by SEVERAL people that I DON'T look like the kind of person who crochets. (My personality is a little rough around the edges at work, and I am known for my sarcasm.) In response, I told them my parole officer was making me take up crochet to help with my anger management (not true, just so you know! LOL!) They usually just look confused for a minute, then realize I'm joking and laugh. The good thing is that there are a couple of other folks in the store who don't feel embarrassed to bring in their little projects to work on during lunch. They figure, 'if she doesn't care what people think, why should I?' Also kinda cool is how many guys have stepped up and admitted that they can or still do crochet or knit! Yay!

Once, on a train, a guy across from me was watching and he knew it was crochet. He asked what stitch I was using, he'd never seen it before. He said his Nana taught him to make granny squares one summer when he broke his leg. They made squares when his parents were at work. He still has the afghan. His dad would "freak" if he knew he did most of it when Nana fell asleep (LOL). He still makes squares once in awhile.

Ellie 13

Every time I walk into the Michael's or Joann's yarn section I have someone come over and say, "I hate to bother you, but do you know anything about this stuff?" :lol

I assure them I do and they proceed to ask me question about this yarn or that hook or needle. Or they show me a pattern they want to do and they can't find the yarn the pattern calls for and want to know if I can suggest an alternative.

Usually they are young knitters or crocheters with little experience or sometimes they are older and haven't done this in years and are just picking it up again and the new labels are so confusing to them. Sometime they are the DH who has been sent on an errand.

It always cracks me up because I keep looking for the sign on my back that says "ASK ME, I KNOW EVERYTHING", but I assure you it's not there!

One lady told me one day that I looked like I knew what I was doing. I guess I wasn't standing there with my hands in the air shouting "Lord, point me in the right direction"

I actually love helping people in their hour on need so I am very courtious and try to help any way I can.

I've decided that many (not all) of the people that are in the big chains are usually newbies to the art and need some direction. I never get question in a LYS, I'm usually the one asking, "Do you think this yarn would be suitable for such and such?"

I would take his comment as a compliment and realize you have the look wisdom when it comes to yarn .

I've gotten this before at least once or twice in every store I go into - fabric, craft, grocery, book . . . I'm waiting for the day I don't notice someone trying to get my attention, and then they complain to the manager that they were ignored by the staff when they needed help! I agree - I think it's the air of confidence.

I only wish someone would say that to me once!! I am always asked if I am buying that for my mom or grandma. What's with that?! I am 37 for goodness sake! I guess I just don't look intelligent enought to learn to knit or crochet?

Anyway, take it as a complement. You must look like a very intelligent person who would have the required smarts and talent to be able to create wonderful items out of a ball of string and some needles or hooks!!

Once, on a train, a guy across from me was watching and he knew it was crochet. He asked what stitch I was using, he'd never seen it before. He said his Nana taught him to make granny squares one summer when he broke his leg. They made squares when his parents were at work. He still has the afghan. His dad would "freak" if he knew he did most of it when Nana fell asleep (LOL). He still makes squares once in awhile.

Ellie 13

I love that story! I believe there are many more men out there than they care to admit that know how to crochet! I get kinda bugged when people see me with yarn and instantly it's "oh, you knit?" um, no, never held a pair of knitting needles in my life, this is crochet... and they glaze over. To them it's all the same, which usually means you knit... ah well. :hook

that poor guy. i would NEVER send my husband to get me yarn. ugh! i would have to go back to the store and return the wrong yarn and have to do it myself. not that my husband is an idiot, just not a crocheter!!!

Let's see. A Crocheter is late 30's to early 40's, divorced father raising 3 or 4 children, working some sort of white color job, and has a briefcase or book bag with a project or two and a pattern book or magazine. At least when I look in the mirror that is what I see. :)

When I go to the yarn section of Michaels or Hancock Fabric, most people just leave me alone because I think they I know what I want and are afraid the "wild eyed look" is something that is contagious. :)

I don't think I would be offended by the remark, with my personality I would probably have laughed and asked, do tell me what was your first clue?? Of course my first stop would not be needles it would be YARN wonderful YARN!!! Can never have enough...gotta have it...maybe that's why no one has ever asked me....I must look crazed and confused...there it is!!

The guy probably just thought that you looked like a friendly and helpful person (more so than the clerk) and since he didn't have a clue as to what to buy, you were in the yarn section, said the first thing that came to his mind to ask for help.

The funniest thing I've ever had happen was when some lady stopped me and asked me if I could show her how to cast on for knitting, as she had forgotten how :lol . So, I did it--right in the middle of Michaels.

The guy probably just thought that you looked like a friendly and helpful person (more so than the clerk) and since he didn't have a clue as to what to buy, you were in the yarn section, said the first thing that came to his mind to ask for help.

I think you've hit upon the right idea! I'm sure this person meant it as a great compliment. I've not been taken for a crocheter yet, but I have had strangers ask me if I was a homeschooling mom...I guess I have a wild-eyed stare I need to work on:lol

Archived