FF Landscape UPDATED

moonrhythm

If it sits on your coffee table, why don't you convert it into a coffee-table top? You will need to frame it in a "box", with glass on top, and then either attach it to an existing table, or attach simple legs to it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's actually a great idea. i'll store that in my brain for the future. i started the backing finally and am in the process of attaching a makeshift frame for it. but a coffee-table crochet conversation piece is a wonderful idea!!

If it sits on your coffee table, why don't you convert it into a coffee-table top? You will need to frame it in a "box", with glass on top, and then either attach it to an existing table, or attach simple legs to it.

:clapThat is truly a work of art. I agree with so many others, submit a picture to a magazine or something. Amazing!

It truly is a piece of ART!!! I encourage to find local art shows to present your ART to the world around you. I've had some success in an annual art show and last year, I actually placed third in the 3-d category.

As far as finishing my work... Most of the work I do is in #3 cotton thread so I'm not sure these directions will be helpful. This is what I did.

1. I picked a suitable fabric. Make sure it's sturdy enough to hold the piece without the fabric drooping.
  2. I penned it into place.
  3. Here was the tedious part. I used black fabric to show off my smaller pieces so they pop out. I used thread to match the fabric so in this case I use black upholstery thread and sew around the piece starting in the middle. Each stitch is done in a way where its hidden in the work.
  4. For example: I did a piece that incorporated all spirals. I sewed the each spiral into place one spiral at a time and then sewed inside the spiral just a bit so it didn't sag off the fabric.
  5. I frame each piece matching the backgroup fabric. ( My own personal preference)

Of course, I'm not an expert, just another crocheter but this works for me. I'm not sure how it would work for a heavier piece but this is how I do it.

I've seen some more earthy pieces like yours hung from pieces of wood or tree limbs.

I hope you post a pic on how you're going to show it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful!!! That's what keeps me from doing freeform -- the certain knowledge that mine wouldn't be anywhere near that beautiful. As to making a wall hanging -- maybe you could cut some plastic canvas to shape, attach the piece to the canvas with concealed stitches here and there, and use a picture hanger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As a fellow artist who has worked in just about every conceivable medium I can confidently say that is a doggone masterpiece. :cheer

Everything about it "works".

Just breathtaking.......honestly. You painted a gorgeous landscape with a hook in place of a brush and it sings.

As for mounting....I have done similar pieces, but with mixed textiles. If I were you I would mount it to heavy burlap-like fabric. The stuff used for those heavy wool-looped pieces, I definitely would keep the original sporadic outline (not a squared-off framey thing, your work is too beautiful for that) and stitch every so many inches ....just enough of a tack stitch to hold the weight. From the front you would not know its there but will hold it flat. Then I would find the perfect piece of long wood (gnarled limb or driftwood) and make loops to hang it on the wood piece. I did this before and it accentuates without taking away from your work which is superior.

Its just gorgeous, lady.

congratulations.

:hook

-Fire

• 3 months later...

It feels wonderful to know that this lil piece of freeform keeps generating responses. Thank you all so much for taking the time to view the piece and to comment. I like your suggestions FireSpirit. I've been waiting around for the perfect piece of wood to come my way~ until then, I add to the piece as time and desire allow.

• 8 months later...

Archived