Help! Can't Stop Buying Patterns!

Somebody PLEASE STOP ME! :help I can't stop buying pattern books! Doilies, Afghans, Purses, you name it, I'm buying it. Then, I spend HOURS looking through the books. Way too many patterns! Everything's gorgeous!

I'll stop buying for a week or so, then I'll see something on :ebay I simply can't resist.:hyper I'm so befuddled with options right now that all I can manage to work on are dishcloths. Somehow, they're very relaxing.

Anyone have the cure for patternbuyitis? :devil Or, is there NO CURE!!!!!

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED BUY PATTERNS AND YARN :eek

Oh my gosh, I totally know what you mean!! At first, I justified it, because I wasn't buying yarn, since I had so much, I was just buying the books and patterns to inspire me to use what I had. That worked until I had to buy yarn for this baby sweater...which lead to, oh look what else they have....to, it's only $5.99 for shipping no matter how much I buy! :c9

All that just to say that I understand what you mean. :yes

~Tami

I probably have more patterns than god, yet I keep buying more. How can you pass up a bargain? The thrift store is my enemy as I'm always finding fabulous crochet books for less than $3. Even if I already have them, I buy them .... thinking I'll throw them on eBay or donate them to Crochetville for the auction. Sometimes I think well maybe I really don't have that book; I just saw it on eBay but don't have it in my collection.

I think our "disease" is called obsessive compulsive disorder! I was the same way with yarn. I have more yarn than god and I can go one on one with any LYS in the country and guarantee you that I'll win.:yarn :yarn :yarn

Oh my gosh, I totally know what you mean!! At first, I justified it, because I wasn't buying yarn, since I had so much, I was just buying the books and patterns to inspire me to use what I had. That worked until I had to buy yarn for this baby sweater...which lead to, oh look what else they have....to, it's only $5.99 for shipping no matter how much I buy! :c9

All that just to say that I understand what you mean. :yes

~Tami

Oh yeah! Been there!!! Done that!!! :rofl:rofl And there is NO cure either... :faint

Yes....this is a big problem.....you can always add up the money you have already spent on buying patterns, and perhaps when you see the grand total.....it will shock :eek you into slowing down a bit.....Only buy a pattern if you are going to make it NOW! I am afraid there is no cure for downloading freebies.........:blush .

My husband JUST walked past me laughing 'cause I am obsessively searching the internet for every cardigan, shrug, bolero or anything with sleeves that I can download... and if I find something that I can't possibly live without that isn't a free pattern, I send him a link for it on Amazon and beg him to get it for me... which he does:D .

I have four-inch wide three-ring binders that I put the patterns in all organized and stuff... I also have the binders for my magazines (Crochet!, Crochet Today, Interweave Crochet - my favorites) and they take up about three feet of space on a shelf in my parlor...

Oh dear. This is MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh my goodness I know just what you mean! I have been on a pattern buying spree too and the only thing that stops me is lack of funds! I have 4 large binders full of free patterns all neatly placed in there very own plastic sheet protectors. right now I'm working on some charity projects that helps keep me busy and I get to use some of my patterns so I feel good about collecting them! I have no cure--my opion is that there is none! But what a way to go!! :hook:yarn

:eek oh no! I am in the same boat you are! :help

BUT it does get worse! I also love to cross stitch! :cheer

:bheart there are more and more patterns that I want to do - and just bought another binder yesterday!!!!

we'll be fine, tho, :hug - I try very very hard to stay away from :ebay

and even went to michael's friday WITH A GIFT CERTIFICATE and kept repeating YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING, YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING until my friends dragged me out of the store!!! :ducky

hang in there! :manyheart

I'm the same way too. :blush The problem with only buying it if you know you're going to make it now...Well, what if there's a pattern in there that you know you'll make for your grandchildren (please keep in mind that my two daughters aren't even married), and if you wait until they have children, you may not be able to get the pattern?

What I call the Cathedral Rose syndrome. (Those who want that pattern know what I'm talking about.) :ohdear

And don't get me started about hoarding patterns. I'm still heartbroken, because I threw out a pattern for a Santa Vest (appx 1978), and I wanted to make it for my daughters when they were toddlers (appx 1990). :cry

Oh Jozie you are going to really flip now! I have a HUGE collection of OOP cross stitch patterns and magazines!!! I don't cross stitch much anymore cause I have fybromyalgia and it is almost impossable for me to use the needle properly. So let me know if there are any certian type of patterns you need and I'll see if I have them!! I can't use them so at least I know they would have a good home. Hang on sister were goin' make it!!:rofl :rofl :hug

• 5 months later...

Was going to start a similar thread then figured someone HAD to have done so. I have a problem hoarding the free patterns. :yes I am at point where I need to index them. I have the binder, they are in there almost according to category. Also, I think I should curtail getting just any pattern and make sure it's one I at least like. For the most part they are, but I could get a lil stricter with myself on it.

i have the cheap version of this problem - i think i have a copy of every free pattern on the net!!! :blush

i'm having issues with filing them by category - do snowflake coasters count as kitchen accessories or christmas decorations??? :think

Oh Im so happy to see someone else with my 'disease' yet Im so sorry that you have it too. :)

My husband said "NO MORE PATTERN BOOKS" until you make one from each book you already own. I said "OK honey" :blushand this morning, here I am searching ebay for something new and different.

I have discovered that there is a wonderful site called

allbookstores.com where sometimes you can get lucky and find a gem for sale. (This site is also wonderful for just about any other book you might want.)

I suppose I will stop when I have no where else to put them:devil

isserlie

Oh I know what you mean! I pour over pattern books like I do cookbooks, like I am reading a novel! I joined Crafter's Choice for discount craftbooks and I just got a catalogue with 50% off the books! Plus if you buy two you get one free! I can't take it!

I feel your joy/pain! I have books like I have yarn-EVERYWHERE! But, it can be cured....sorta. I just have my kids watch me like a hawk whenever I'm on the computer. We made a deal that if I buy a book, I have to account to them why I bought it. It has really curbed my buying. It just isn't right to account to your children.:think

In fact today, I had my eldest bring down two storage tubs that are filled with pattern books, magazines, etc and I spent the afternoon going through my treasures and I have a plastic grocery bag full to get rid of. :cheer Yes! You heard me right! I'll start the other box tomorrow and maybe I can pry some of them out of my hands to add to the plastic bag. I'm trying.

I know what you mean, just last night my DH asked if I was reading my pattern books again. Yep, sure was. They are just so pretty, I love to look at them over and over. Try looking up free patterns on the internet, then you don't spend so much but still get to look at all the pretty stuff.

i have the cheap version of this problem - i think i have a copy of every free pattern on the net!!! :blush

i'm having issues with filing them by category - do snowflake coasters count as kitchen accessories or christmas decorations??? :think

I have the same problems: free patterns and how to categorize them. In your example, I would make another copy and file it it both categories :lol:lol

I feel your joy/pain! I have books like I have yarn-EVERYWHERE! But, it can be cured....sorta. I just have my kids watch me like a hawk whenever I'm on the computer. We made a deal that if I buy a book, I have to account to them why I bought it. It has really curbed my buying. It just isn't right to account to your children.:think

In fact today, I had my eldest bring down two storage tubs that are filled with pattern books, magazines, etc and I spent the afternoon going through my treasures and I have a plastic grocery bag full to get rid of. :cheer Yes! You heard me right! I'll start the other box tomorrow and maybe I can pry some of them out of my hands to add to the plastic bag. I'm trying.

i see i am not alone in this..i love to collect patterns some i might make, some i wont make, and some i just have to have....i also need to go and clean house. more room for more patterns....I also have that one pattern that i let get out of my hands in 1992 that i still look for...yikes talk about OCD.....

I've gotten better over the years at pattern buying. I'll buy ONLY if I find I a pattern I'm likely to make. And sometimes I'll buy the yarn I LOVE, and then look for a pattern to go with it. :lol

Free internet patterns are my downfall - I have a file full of them, uncatagorised.

Archived