Katchkan's Viceroy Shawl CAL

Krystal16

Ellen - I am the kind of person that really needs to be in the presence of my fiber before I can choose it. I can't "feel" or "hear" it over the computer. Sometimes they just call out to me and tell me that they're JUST what I'm looking for!

Carolyn - welcome!

If anyone wants to do this by Christmas, I have a schedule set up and you can start by having rows 1 through 7 done on Saturday (that is my start date). That should give you plenty of time to play around with stitches, figure out gauge and frog what needs frogging so we can get down to business on Saturday!

I practiced a bit with some white that I have here, but I also didn't have the right sized hook (I had a 7) so it was a bit frustrating trying to deal with that itty bitty hook. I'll get the new hook when I get my thread!

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ellen - I am the kind of person that really needs to be in the presence of my fiber before I can choose it. I can't "feel" or "hear" it over the computer. Sometimes they just call out to me and tell me that they're JUST what I'm looking for!

I practiced a bit with some white that I have here, but I also didn't have the right sized hook (I had a 7) so it was a bit frustrating trying to deal with that itty bitty hook. I'll get the new hook when I get my thread!

Sometimes the photos online just scream out to you as the photography is that good. I've been very successful with most yarns I buy on eBay :ebayor other online sources. A few have been disappointing. Sometimes I'll visit my LYS, then look online for what I saw at the LYS. It's usually cheaper, even when factoring in the shipping.

I have the #2 hook and it's tiny tiny tiny. I just finished baking some clay onto the handle so I can work with it without cramping my arthritic hands. But I'll need very bright light as well! It's h*ll getting old!:lol

I want to buy a second #2 hook as I tend to lose hooks in the middle of projects. I have the Michael's 40% off coupon so I'll probably use it to buy the backup hook for $1.

I wanted to post my experience as I looked for thread for this CAL. I visited four stores -- Hobby Lobby, Joanne's and two Michaels.

Since the pattern calls for 1,500 yards, you'll probably need five spools of thread as most only have 350 yards each. Both Michael's and Joanne's had thread I liked but, at most, they only had four spools of each color. Cost at both stores: $2.49 without coupons.

Hobby Lobby had more of a selection and they only charged $1.99 per spool without coupons. I bought my lilac-colored thread there as they had five spools of 350 yards each. I would have preferred the gold thread, as shown in the samples but none of the stores had it. I prefer instant gratification so online ordering was not an option this time around (although I might change my mind, order online after all, and return the lilac thread ... depending on cost).

Hobby Lobby, however, was useless when it came to the metallic thread. Michael's had very few options. Joanne's had the most but they wanted close to $6/spool! I didn't bother checking the yardage after seeing the outlandish price. I'll try the fabric shops tomorrow and hope I'll find more of a selection with better prices.

A word of caution: Even though the "lot" numbers were identical on the thread, there were very visible differences in hues. I noted that some thread was manufactured in India while other was made in Hungary. Yet both had identical wrapping (except for the made in ........ part). So please check your thread with a microscopic eye to avoid disappointment once you start crocheting!

Since I've started my second one I thought I'd join you, if it's ok. Did Kathy change the size of the hook? It was an 8 when I tested for her. I will be using beads on the edge again. It drapes so beautifully with the weight of them around it.

Edit: I was mistaken. The hook is a 4.

OK, guess I have to go look at the pattern, but I thought this called for a #4 hook?

You're right, it is a #4 (2 mm). :P Another senior moment. Now you know why I had trouble with your daisy square!:lol

I tested this for Kathy and I can tell you it is a very nice pattern. And you might want to try the beads, they really add to it. I think when I tested it was a size 7 hook.... good luck ladies you won't be disappointed, it is beautiful when you get it done. Mine didn't really take that long I think it was about 2 weeks, so you should have no problem finishing in time for Christmas....make sure and show us your progress....

:scared oh boy, what was I thinking?? Is there any chance that I will be able to do this? I have never done filet crochet I am scared!! Tell me I can do this!! phaleeeeeeese :D

I have been crocheting for 30+ yrs how did filet crochet get by me??? :think

Good thing I love a challange :manyheart

peni

:scared oh boy, what was I thinking?? Is there any chance that I will be able to do this? I have never done filet crochet I am scared!! Tell me I can do this!! phaleeeeeeese :D

I have been crocheting for 30+ yrs how did filet crochet get by me??? :think

Good thing I love a challange :manyheart

peni

You should be just fine with filet. It really is a simple form of crocheting. Get too stuck just pm me and I have a few pictorial that might help.

You should be just fine with filet. It really is a simple form of crocheting. Get too stuck just pm me and I have a few pictorial that might help.

Oh thank you Kathy, I am sure I will need them. I have decided not to try tonight, it has been a busy day and my mind is racing so I will give it a try tomorrow after I get home from taking dad to the dr.

I am glad to know filet is not as hard as it appears. I guess I will jump in and go for it! :D

peni

I'm trying to figure out my schedule and I like to know approx. how long a project might take me. Vonnie stated it took her 2 weeks for this (about how many hours? Constantly working on it or a hour or so a day?) How long did it take the other testers? Fran? I know everyone crochets differently and some faster than others, but a general ideal will help tremendously.

I still haven't picked out my color as I got a rush photo re-touching/album job that has to be finished and 6 albums done by Saturday night. Luckily I have 2 of the best Photoshop artists available to me at all times (DH and DS). Each album has 25 photos and 5 typed pages. They are for tables for my neighbor who turns 80 on the 12th but party on Saturday. The albums are his life in pictures. I was giving the photos yesterday morning. Nothing like giving me a month or so to do them right. But I will be in the Keys for a month starting July 7th with lots of time to work on this.

First, Peni - no, filet is NOT difficult. It is basically just dc's and chains, arranged in such a way as to create a pattern with "filled" and "open" squares. There's a little trick to get the shape with increases, but I love Kathy's method (I've never seen it before, but I'm not a filet master!). I played with it a bit the other day, and even WITH the too-small hook, I think I could do the daily allotment of 50 stitches in less than an hour. And *I* am no thread master! I have never done anything larger than a bookmark in thread!

So Diamond, I think if you estimated an hour a day, you could have it done by Christmas easily. My time approximation is likely to be HIGH, as I'm a yarn person, but I figure I'll get faster as time goes on.

I think if I were making this as a shawl, I would definitely use beads for drape-ability. They're tiny beads, so it's not like you're adding pony beads to such an elegant piece.

Fran, you are most welcome to join us, of course! We will love your experience with the pattern. What color are you using this time? Do you have any recommendations for brands of thread?

Ellen - thanks for pointing out about color differences in thread. I would have never though to look for "Made in" and compared the colors!

I'm going on my lunch hour today to get my thread to start this CAL. I'm so excited! I am SOOOO close to being done with my niece's baby blanket, so as soon as I'm done, I'll stick my hook into this!

Well, my shopping trip might get bumped up to tomorrow. DS10 has chicken pox, so won't be making his lesson on Saturday (which is near the stores). I might go tomorrow on DH's day off and run all my errands, depends on what DH has to get done if he can deal with 3 kids with chicken pox while he gets it done. NOrmally, it wouldn't be an issue, but DH is leaving on vacation soon and has to finish somethings up before then.

I bought my supplies today and I got 7 rows done in about an hour...This is the first time that I have increased and decreased in a filet piece....Kathy did a really good job of explaining the instructions...anyway I want to make 2, I bought some thread off of ebay but won't be here for a week or two and well I couldn't wait that long to get started...so I stopped at Hobby Lobby today and decided to use violet thread and some shimmering glass purple beads....so far so good:D

Mine took about 5 weeks. It seemed like I worked several hours a day on it. I'm using black this time. With dark gunmetal hex beads. I don't have a recommendation for the thread. Cebelia would've been nice but I wanted a dark color.

Heading shopping tomorrow, but my mother (who this is for) said "Maybe I'll meet you there and we can do lunch!". Normally, I'd jump at the chance, but NOW? She's messing up my plans! :lol

You could use this "hitch" in plans. Since it's for her, you can try to be sneaky and get her opinions on yarn colors to ensure she'd like the color you choose. a slight fib/truth of "I've been wanting to give thread more of a try than in the past, and am looking to do a tablecloth, but aren't sure of what color to do it in....." Or, another fib, I want to do a tablecloth as a wedding gift for a person at work...church..... parent of kids remarrying....etc. and get opinions

Then ya get to have MORE fun knowing what you have pulled over on her, in a good way ;)

Sandy

I got my thread yesterday, but not my sewing thread. I couldn't find what I liked at Michael's, so I'm going to go to Hobby Lobby on my lunch hour today and see what I can find. I was initially going to do this in black/silver or black/gold, but then I decided to do it in solid black, with black sparkly thread. That way, no matter what I'm wearing, I'm good to go!

I bought silver metallic sewing thread at Joann's yesterday. I can't believe how expensive it is! One spool of 1,000 yards, was over $13. Fortunately I had a 40% off coupon. The cashier was so shocked at the price that she let me use the coupon on BOTH spools!

Joann's was actually CHEAP compared to every place else. My local fabric store had a wonderful selection of colors but for 200 meters (about 210-220 yards?), they wanted $4. The pattern calls for 1,500 yards, so that would be a lot of $$$ I'd be forking out! A LOT!

Still debating about beads. I'm not really a beady person.....

OK... GOT MY SHOPPING DONE!!!

First of all, my mother wound up not meeting me. I couldn't pull off the "give me your opinion, it's for someone else", because my life is too open to her - she knows everyone that I WOULD make something for, and it would be obvious I was bluffing... BEsides, I did that one already!

So, I was at JoAnn's and they had 2,730 YARDS on a spool (about the size of a football!) for $14.95. With my coupon, it worked out to about $9, and that's about all I'll need for my double-size. Plus I don't have to make extra trips there, AND I don't have to worry about coupons. It was ONE SHOT. Got Royale Classic thread in color Natural. I like the Royale - it's alittle thincker than Aunt Lydia's and has more of a sheen.

As for the metallic thread, I found it in *3* places: JoAnn, ACMoore AND WAL-MART!!! Walmart has 200yds for $3. JoAnn has 700Yds for $7, and ACMoore had 200yds for $4.50. I had a coupon for ACMoore, so I got it there, AND they were the only one that had the color I wanted - "light gold". It's very soft, but still sparkly.

ACMoore and JoAnn's all also have #10 that has the sparkle running through it. I saw black with gold, white with silver, neutral with gold, white with pearl, red, etc.

But, I'm good to go! Even got my hook. Now, to get my other WIPs done before starting this one..... :lol

Well, I'm being held up by my supplies. Had to order everything off the internet and, of course, at 3 different locations:

seed beads (decided I had to use the seed beads at least on the first one) from http://www.firemountaingems.com. I ordered them in Transparent Root Beer

crochet thread from http://www.spinblessing.com Aunt Lydia's Fudge Brown

metallic thread from http://www.joann.com Coats Copper

Michael's & Walmart only had 4-5 spools of the metallic thread and no brown crochet thread. The beads from both places were either not to my liking or not the right color. So hopefully I can begin within the week when all the supplies get here. This will give me time to practice so that when I do get everything, I can breeze right thru it.

Archived