Katchkan's Viceroy Shawl CAL

Krystal16

I'm psyching myself up to get started ... probably on Sunday or Monday. I'm absolutely petrified! I scanned the chart, enlarged it, and made another copy flipped over so I have the whole chart. (Am I making sense?)

I've decided not to use the silver thread and just use the lilac thread by itself. I"m not a glitzy person so I was never real excited about the silver thread.

If I can do it Ellen, you can surely do it. I was scared too, but I am on row 14 now! :clap :clap Jump right in.... I couldn't decide if I like the metalic thread or not, so I left it out of mine too, and I love the natural color better than I thought I would!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress.

peni

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peni, on my "schedule" for Xmas, it counted stitch blocks, not rows - so as we get further along, you will actually have up to 2 days to finish one row. :D But I think as we get along, it goes faster for me, because what slows me down is that first increase where you edc into the chain... Drives me batty!

Anyone else want to let us know you're still on the earth?

How far did you get yesterday amberslipstitch?? I don't think I will ever catch up with you! :D

Thank you so much for your help yesterday.

:hug

peni

I got to row 50 yesterday...but the rows are getting longer and I'm getting slower:D I'm getting ready to start row 57 just had to let my hands rest a bit:hook

Peni, on my "schedule" for Xmas, it counted stitch blocks, not rows - so as we get further along, you will actually have up to 2 days to finish one row. :D But I think as we get along, it goes faster for me, because what slows me down is that first increase where you edc into the chain... Drives me batty!

Anyone else want to let us know you're still on the earth?

Oh goodie, I will keep on going and going and going................:rofl :rofl

I have a feeling I will get slower the longer the rows......maybe about half way I will have an idea of the patterns and it will get easier???? Ya think? :think:D

I got to row 50 yesterday...but the rows are getting longer and I'm getting slower:D I'm getting ready to start row 57 just had to let my hands rest a bit:hook

:devil :devil I am catching up, I am only 44 rows behind you!!:rofl :rofl

here I come!!!:devil

Great job amber!!!!

peni

Okay okay. I started and it isn't as bad as I thought. At least I wasn't hyperventilating! Kathy's "S-Z" chart will be really helpful as I got confused with the increases at the end of the rows. I guess it would help if I read the instructions and made sure I understood them first!

But I frogged everything I did. Don't worry; I only had done three or four rows. I did use the silver metallic thread and, you're right ..... it adds just enough glitter but it's not obnoxious.

Ellen,

I don't think it's supposed to necessarily be "scalloped", more boxy, but that is a job for blocking. I think the border will give it back it's designated shape. Either way, I'm not worrying about it now... Plus you're looking at some that stuck "up" and some pointed "down", so you're not seeing the points, per se.

Nothing more today - chicken coop day. Which is where I need to get to now before DH wonders what happened to me.

9rows.jpg

I think it took me three hours just to do the nine or ten rows. I thought it was 5pm when I finally came back in the house only to find it was close to 7pm!

This filet crochet is making me crazy. I found myself yelling at a barking dog that was a block away. Lawn mowers seemed louder. Buzzing insects seemed more plentiful. Yup, definitely going crazy. Hopefully I'll calm down as this starts to take shape. I'm not giving up ... yet.

Ellen,

Is NOW not a good time that I'm not sure you've got the hang of the increases? They should have a stair-step appearance... I guess I didn't understand your question earlier. Yours still looks very pretty, but you might have a hard time with the increases in the next couple of rows when you go out THREE blocks, instead of 1.

Let me know how I can help.

Ellen,

Is NOW not a good time that I'm not sure you've got the hang of the increases? They should have a stair-step appearance... I guess I didn't understand your question earlier. Yours still looks very pretty, but you might have a hard time with the increases in the next couple of rows when you go out THREE blocks, instead of 1.

Let me know how I can help.

HELP! HELP! HELP! You're absolutely right. I don't have the hang of the increases. I think I understand the starting row increases (chain 5, edc in fourth chain, edc in fifth chain, so there's three stitches, then continue into the existing row). The increases at the end are what are driving me crazy (well, one of the things driving me crazy!). I thought I read it correctly when it said to increase by putting the hook into each of the previous stitches. Otherwise it would look like a shell stitch.

Where in the stitch do you put the hook? I thought I read you go into the bottom of the stitch. Obviously I'm wrong and am having ongoing senior moments! Yes, Krystal! Please help! Kathy? Are you out there? I wouldn't mind your help too!

OK, Ellen... take a DEEEEEP breath... :D

Imagine you have JUST done your last edc on the row. You, you yo twice, and then insert your hook into the side of the bottom of the edc you JUST finished...

THAT is where you do your etr! Then once that etr is done, you yo twice, and insert your hook into the side strings of the bottom of the etr you JUST finished. And so on, until you've done 3 etr out the side of your row...

Does this help? Or do you need a pic?

I just got in. Sorry to hear you are finding the increase so difficult. I checked my pictorials and I was surprised that I did not have that one on file. Will remedy that later tonight when DH gets in. Yes you will crochet into the bottom of the last stitch on the row for the 1st increase. Then you will crochet into the bottom of the 1st increase stitch to create the second, continue making increases by crocheting into the bottom of the last increase stitch until you have the number of increase stitches you need. Hope that makes sense.

This is the toughest thing you will have to master on this pattern. By the time you finish this shawl you will be an expert at increasing. Just don't let it drive you crazy. I promise I will get a Pictorial of that praticular stitch done and that should help.

Thank you Kathy and Krystal! I think what I'm going to do is make a swatch using worsted weight yarn and a G or H hook and practice those increases with yarn I can actually see:P . At the same time, I'm going to frog everything I've done in thread and start all over again.

Pictures and/or more detailed instructions would help a lot.

I've decided against using the silver metallic thread unless "you guys" can convince me why I should try it again. It added a little too much glitter for my taste and sometimes I accidently dropped the silver thread without realizing it. In other words, I thought it was a pain in the butt. (Can I say that here?:) )

Alrighty, here's the schedule for those who are trying to finish by Christmas! Don't worry if you haven't started yet, I really think that once you get the hang of it, this schedule is actually quite easy to do.

Make it by Christmas:

One Shawl: Through Row 12 today

Two Shawls: Through Row 17 today

Alrighty, here's the schedule for those who are trying to finish by Christmas! Don't worry if you haven't started yet, I really think that once you get the hang of it, this schedule is actually quite easy to do.

Make it by Christmas:

:cheer :cheer yeah..........I got to row 20 last night...

peni

I wish I hadn't started a spool of the metallic thread because now I can't get my money back. So for that reason alone, I will try it again.

Last night, I tried a swatch in worsted weight yarn with a G hook and I *think* I'm understanding the increase method. Kathy is, however, sending a pictorial so I can be certain I'm going into the previous stitch in the right place. (Thank you thank you thank you, Kathy!)

Once I get over this hump, watch out world! I'll be flaming through this project!:lol

Make it by Christmas:

Fran said she finished one shawl in five weeks, so I'm hopeful we'll get it done by the holidays, even if something called "life" gets in the way!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooom! there goes Ellen! :lol Had to rip out half of R16, I messed up. :( Nearly fixed now, though.

I'd be farther myself except I had to rip row 18 and 19 out:eek :eek .........but I am caught up and hopefully I will get to crochet allot today.

I am with you Ellen, I am hopeing to get this done way before Christmas. I am just happy to stay ahead of Krystals time schedule :clap :clap

peni

i havent got done as much as i wanted to this weekend, but ill make it up during the week. i chose varegated beiges for the color. i found that thread in the store in williamsport pa i posted about. i have to learn how to take pics and post them!!!!!

i havent got done as much as i wanted to this weekend, but ill make it up during the week. i chose varegated beiges for the color. i found that thread in the store in williamsport pa i posted about. i have to learn how to take pics and post them!!!!!

Oh that sounds like it will turn out very nice. I wondered about verigated colors but unless I order it, it is no where to be found here in my little town ..........unless you want purple.

Can't wait to see pictures......

peni

Archived