Katchkan's Viceroy Shawl CAL

Krystal16

A question to all, if I may. I started this and I'm on the rows in the upper teens. I'm finding that my piece seems to be sort of flimsy. I'm guessing that when its finished and the beads are on and I wash and block it, that it will pull together some. Am I guessing right?:think Thanks!

Are you using #10 thread and the hook that the pattern calls for? If you're used to working with yarn, working with thread will seem flimsy but it's meant to be light and airy.

I'm somewhere around row 20 (had a bit of frogging to do) and it feels like a handkerchief when I flop it around in my hands. Is that what you're thinking too?

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Krystal, I think Birdlady captured what I'm saying, feeling, etc...anyway, it is light and airy and it could be the thread too. Its Royale made by Coats. I am using the #10 thread and a size 4 hook, as indicated in the pattern. I have some Cebelia and Opera on hand, but not enough to make this so I went with the Royale I had on hand.

Maybe I should have asked if anyone has used Royale and if it feels lighter? :blush

Krystal, I think Birdlady captured what I'm saying, feeling, etc...anyway, it is light and airy and it could be the thread too. Its Royale made by Coats. I am using the #10 thread and a size 4 hook, as indicated in the pattern. I have some Cebelia and Opera on hand, but not enough to make this so I went with the Royale I had on hand. Maybe I should have asked if anyone has used Royale and if it feels lighter? :blush

I'm using Royale (I think) but I hardly have enough thread experience to add a comment on the difference between threads. Kathy?

Krystal, I think Birdlady captured what I'm saying, feeling, etc...anyway, it is light and airy and it could be the thread too. Its Royale made by Coats. I am using the #10 thread and a size 4 hook, as indicated in the pattern. I have some Cebelia and Opera on hand, but not enough to make this so I went with the Royale I had on hand.

Maybe I should have asked if anyone has used Royale and if it feels lighter? :blush

Royale isn't a bad thread. Though it does lack the body that the Dmc Cebeila thread has. I think the dmc has a tighter twist. Do check your gauge. You may crochet looser than me. ( I tend to crochet fairly tight. ) You may need to drop down a hook size or two. I have used the Royale thread many a times for my various projects so don't feel you need to go get a different thread. Just adjust your hook size to get what you need.

Krystal, Mine isn't super tight, but not loose either. Its strange, but I'm going to keep going as is. I think once the beads are on it, it will do fine. Compared to Cebelia, this thread really is very soft. It should make it drape really nice.

Cheers all!

Major major frogging: I'm starting over.:angry

First I noticed I had increased by too many stitches three rows earlier.:eek

Then I noticed some of my blocks were not made up of 4 edc.:oops

Finally .... I was using the edc stitch instead of the etr stitch at the end of every row. :loco

I could scream.:bang But at least I was only about 21 rows in. I thought I could fudge it and start doing it correctly from that point forward. But the problems would just be magnified.

So I frogged everything.:2frog :2frogMaybe if I actually READ the directions???!!! Sheesh.

Yes! Obviously I have to watch each row a little more closely so if I need to frog, I'll catch it early. So for me, this cannot be a relaxing project for a while! (No offense, Kathy!)

Finally remembered who you're using for your avatar (this week): Gary Coleman, former candidate for California governor:D . Definitely one of the outlaws!

Yes! Obviously I have to watch each row a little more closely so if I need to frog, I'll catch it early. So for me, this cannot be a relaxing project for a while! (No offense, Kathy!)

Finally remembered who you're using for your avatar (this week): Gary Coleman, former candidate for California governor:D . Definitely one of the outlaws!

Now, did I ever promise relaxing????

Wow, all that :2frog and you've almost caught back up! I was going to cry, but now I'm happy for you! Way to go!:yay:bounce

Thanks! I was surprised that I was able to sit still for that long to complete 16 rows. Of course, so far today I haven't touched it!

Kathy, thanks for confirming that this is not meant to be relaxing!;)

Major major frogging: I'm starting over.:angry

First I noticed I had increased by too many stitches three rows earlier.:eek

Then I noticed some of my blocks were not made up of 4 edc.:oops

Finally .... I was using the edc stitch instead of the etr stitch at the end of every row. :loco

I could scream.:bang But at least I was only about 21 rows in. I thought I could fudge it and start doing it correctly from that point forward. But the problems would just be magnified.

So I frogged everything.:2frog :2frogMaybe if I actually READ the directions???!!! Sheesh.

Frog alert!!! I'm on row 10 and until I read your post, I didn't even REALIZE the end stitch on each row is supposed to be an etr!!!!!!!!! I made the same booboo that you did!

I wondered why my edges were so ugly-looking, but I figured that's what the beads were for... to cover the ugly! Should have known better... kathy/katchkan wouldn't let us have ugly anywhere!

Time for me to :frog:frog:frog!!!

Oops. :blush :blush

Frog alert!!! I'm on row 10 and until I read your post, I didn't even REALIZE the end stitch on each row is supposed to be an etr!!!!!!!!! I made the same booboo that you did!

I wondered why my edges were so ugly-looking, but I figured that's what the beads were for... to cover the ugly! Should have known better... kathy/katchkan wouldn't let us have ugly anywhere!

Time for me to :frog:frog:frog!!!

Oops. :blush :blush

How funny. :lol You have no idea how good you made me feel by writing you made the same mistake! I also thought the beads would "fluff" it out. Happy frogging! At least you were only 10 rows in!

I've done my fair share of :frog :frog :frog :frog :frog :frog, mostly an entire row cause my count was off or I didn't increase enough. Maybe after doing this entire shawl, I could get some speed going, but at this point it doesn't seem very likely!

Kathy, does it ever get faster????:think :think

I've done my fair share of :frog :frog :frog :frog :frog :frog, mostly an entire row cause my count was off or I didn't increase enough. Maybe after doing this entire shawl, I could get some speed going, but at this point it doesn't seem very likely!

Kathy, does it ever get faster????:think :think

Yes it will actually get faster, though it may not feel like it as the rows get longer. I did the original in 9 days. I checked at the middle of each row to make sure I had it right. I do so hate to frog for a mistake. Don't mind if I am designing and I am adapting things. But when It was miscount or the like, I get fustrated.

I'm finding this second attempt (10th attempt?) looks a lot better. Using the ETR at the end of the row definitely helps (although it is a tough stitch and I hate when I reach the end of the row!) I also think my stitches are more uniform in size and height.

I think learning filet crochet is like starting the learning process all over again. It's as though I never picked up a crochet hook until this project and I may be actually starting to enjoy it:eek (except for the ETR of course!):blush

How funny. :lol You have no idea how good you made me feel by writing you made the same mistake! I also thought the beads would "fluff" it out. Happy frogging! At least you were only 10 rows in!

Yeah, re-doing it wasn't too big of a hassle, but I haven't done any thread crochet in awhile, so I'm very slow at it. I'd been working on it while my husband and I watched a movie (which is probably why I didn't catch the booboo) and when he saw me frogging those 10 rows, he told me, "what are you doing? It took you the entire movie last night to get that far!!!"

But with the increasing blocks in etr, it looks SOOOO much better and less like a 5-year-old did it.

Archived