Katchkan's Viceroy Shawl CAL

Krystal16

But with the increasing blocks in etr, it looks SOOOO much better and less like a 5-year-old did it.

Exactly! :lol I guess there's a good reason why Kathy wrote them into the pattern! Her finished products definitely tell us she knows what she's talking about!

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All!

I've finished row #27 and I'm starting 28. I finally got smart and got some post it notes to track the row I'm working on - I should have thought of it earlier, but oh well:blush .

Anyway, I'm feeling better about this as I go. I sure it will pull together when its done. When adding on at the beginning of the row, I have been using the EDC as indicated in the pattern. With all the talk of the ETC, I've only been using that when I add on at the end of the row. I hope this is correct? If not, its going to be on this one!

Cheers, Ellena

Hi All!

I've finished row #27 and I'm starting 28. I finally got smart and got some post it notes to track the row I'm working on - I should have thought of it earlier, but oh well:blush .

Anyway, I'm feeling better about this as I go. I sure it will pull together when its done. When adding on at the beginning of the row, I have been using the EDC as indicated in the pattern. With all the talk of the ETC, I've only been using that when I add on at the end of the row. I hope this is correct? If not, its going to be on this one!

Cheers, Ellena

That is correct. Breath a big sigh of relief......:yes

Alright... I feel like a bad mother or something.

Here I am starting this CAL and I got sidetracked working on another CAL!!! LOL!

But I am here to officially say that I AM BACK.... My dishcloths are all done, and I finally got back to work on this. I'm a TAD behind. I am supposed to be on row 53 (keep in mind I'm doing TWO) and instead I am on row 39.... Got some catching up to do!

Get 'er Done By Christmas Schedule: Row 39

I've only got half done of what I'm supposed to do! :eek

:welcome Krystal,

I think I'm in good company since working on just one project at any given time is not me. However, this one has me intriqued since it will be my first thread wearable and my first wearable with beads. So, whatever it takes, right! :yes :yes

Haven't made much progress. I'm somewhere around row 20. I get very frustrated with the ETRs. I just don't like the way mine look.......

I am catching up - I'm into row 40-something.. had it with me all day. Doing a thread project in a (bumpy) moving vehicle is a lot different than a yarn project!

I'm not caught up yet, but.... getting there.

Ellen - the ETRs don't look good to me either. I have finally started liking the way mine looked, and I realized it is laying flatter and straighter - I've accidentally only been going through ONE strand on the stitch before it instead of two. But it looks better, so that's all I'm doing from now on. Must be something about the way I crochet....

My ETR's and the EDC's on the ends look funny too, but I think that when the beads go on, the weight will pull them into shape. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow of my progress so far.

G'nite all!

Hello. My name is Rita, and I am a filet crochet addict. :eek At least, that's how I feel right now. I've discovered that filet crochet is a lot like counted cross stitch. I can't stop after just a few rows. I say to myself, "I'll just do one more row, and see what the picture looks like." Then I do one more, and one more, and ...:blush . I'm only on row 22, but that's because I'm working on a bunch of projects at one time.

Rita K.

:welcome Hi Rita! I find the same about filet as you. I keep going to see the picture - its funny how that happens. Also, to all, Hass design has videos of how he works increases at the end and beginning of rows. He approaches those differently than Kathy. I'm posting the link in case you want to check it out.

http://www.hassdesign.com/BasicFiletTechniques/

Happy Sunday to all! Cheers :hook :hook

:welcome Hi Rita! I find the same about filet as you. I keep going to see the picture - its funny how that happens. Also, to all, Hass design has videos of how he works increases at the end and beginning of rows. He approaches those differently than Kathy. I'm posting the link in case you want to check it out.

http://www.hassdesign.com/BasicFiletTechniques/

Happy Sunday to all! Cheers :hook :hook

I went an looked, Am I missing something? I didn't see increases for solid blocks only meshes.

I went an looked, Am I missing something? I didn't see increases for solid blocks only meshes.

I only saw mesh increases on that website as well. Kathy, can you give us any further hints on making clean ETRs?

Shoot, his advanced videos for filet have it, so don't mind me, I thought they were on there. I beg many pardons.....

I went back and he offers the free crochet along which I have done before. They maybe on there. From what I remember, I think he does the number of YO's needed to make the length of the stitch, and then works them off the hook as opposed to doing ETR but, I'm relying on my memory here.

Ok, I went back and its definately in his advanced videos which are part of a different CAL. Sorry...

Shoot, his advanced videos for filet have it, so don't mind me, I thought they were on there. I beg many pardons.....
Not a problem, You just got my curiousity up.

The key to a good etr is the tension. When I have all my wraps around my hook and the loop caught up through the st, I take a second and sort of rotate my hook around until all the wraps are even. It's real easy for the loop on the hook and the 1st wrap to get too loose and then the stitch doesn't work up as nice. getting the tension on the wraps even helps this out a lot. It's kind of hard to explain but it does seem to help make nice even stitches.

Kathy, I'm doing ok with the ETR's. I was just posting different ways for the others to look at. If memory serves me right, I think he YO's four times, and then works the loops off the hook when adding on to the end of a row, and he does that a total of three times. I'm sure I have a couple of other sites bookmarked, I just need to find them.

Thanks Fidgement and Kathy! No doubt tension is what's making my ETRs look a bit strange. But the stitches in the next row seem to even it out.

I also found some instructions in Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia (she has both left- and right-handed instructions). But I'll read whatever is out there to help make a more even ETR.

I was on a roll today and completed nearly 10 more rows. So I'm up to about row 30. When I layed it out flat, it actually looked nice:P and I could see the pattern forming.

Kathy, I reviewed your lefthanded directions again for the ETRs and realize I crochet backwards, even for a lefty! I insert the hook from the back to the front. So I guess my "normal" stitch is what everyone would call the reverse stitch (?)

Birdlady, That is an awesome talent! I'm also left handed but crochet righthanded as I learned from my Mom at a very young age, and she is right handed, so I just did what she did. I never stopped to think about it and I do many things right handed because of it. I can also crochet left handed, but it doesn't make sense to since I've always done it right handed. I'm up to row 40 and I'm not sure I'm done for the night yet. I didn't get a photo today, but will tomorrow.

Cheers :hook

Kathy and all,

The more I work on this, the more I like it. Its really starting to pull together. The pattern and the feel of the shawl. I'm just crocheting away on it and the more I do, the more I want to do. I guess I'm getting really hooked on working with thread. I've done doillies before but I've never been this excited about them. This is really neat and I just thought I'd share with this you. I will, will, will post a pic tomorrow.

Cheers!:hook

Kathy, I reviewed your lefthanded directions again for the ETRs and realize I crochet backwards, even for a lefty! I insert the hook from the back to the front. So I guess my "normal" stitch is what everyone would call the reverse stitch (?)

I chuckled when I read this. My sister who had learned when I begged my aunt to teach me since I was left handed does the same thing. My sister is right handed. She inserts her hook from the back side of the work instead of the front side. But that was how she saw it. I never realized she did that until a few years ago when we were teaching my niece the basics. It works for her. It was just a surprise to see how she interupted what she was seeing.

Kathy and all,

The more I work on this, the more I like it. Its really starting to pull together. The pattern and the feel of the shawl. I'm just crocheting away on it and the more I do, the more I want to do. I guess I'm getting really hooked on working with thread. I've done doillies before but I've never been this excited about them. This is really neat and I just thought I'd share with this you. I will, will, will post a pic tomorrow.

Cheers!:hook

Watch out this can be additive. I love thread and I love filet work. Can't wait to see your pictures. I really have enjoyed hearing about everyone's progress.

I'm moving right along - got 2 more rows done yesterday. Thought I'd get more, but there were a lot of interruptions at all the places where I was "sitting" watching the kids. Allergy season, too - so it's really hard to follow that graph with my itchy eyes.

I'm moving right along - got 2 more rows done yesterday. Thought I'd get more, but there were a lot of interruptions at all the places where I was "sitting" watching the kids. Allergy season, too - so it's really hard to follow that graph with my itchy eyes.

So how far along are you? How 'bout some photos?

Archived