Katchkan's Viceroy Shawl CAL

Krystal16

Katchkan's Viceroy pattern is now available here!

It's a beautiful pattern, and I just had to rush right out and get it! Penitho had a great idea for a CAL - I'm making mine for a Christmas gift, so anyone that wants to join along, go get your pattern and let me know you're ready to go!

S_ViceroyShawlB.jpg

Thank you Kathy, for letting me use your photo!

Here's a link to a slideshow of the shawl being modeled:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a219/Katchkan/th_ViceroyShawlH.jpg

If anyone needs it, I have planned out how many rows you'll need to do by which date if you want to work it in an even pace to have it as a Christmas Present! (I'm a tad bit OCD)

I'll be starting on Saturday!

Friends Joining In:

Krystal - natural & light gold

diamond (Cheryl) - fudge brown & copper

penitho (Peni) - natural

Mommy2max (Lori) - Black & black

birdlady1 (Ellen) - lavender & silver

amberslipstitch (Carolyn) - violet DONE

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in. Got my pattern this morning and just deciding on what color. Also, I think I may leave out the beads. Haven't completely decided on that yet tho. I'm just not a bead person.

Yee-hah! I have some company!

I don't know exactly what color I'm doing this in, but I'm making two of them, joined by the wide end, and it's going to be a table topper. Can't you just picture this spread out with the points hanging over the sides of my mother's square coffee table? What a conversation point that will be! It might even be large enough to decorate the top of her dining room table when it's not in use!

:yay :yay I am in................Now Krystal, I want to see your calculations to get it done by Christmas, but I must say.......I think I am dreaming!!

I love the looks of the brown one................so I am undecided on color yet.

peni

Oh yeah, no beads for me either I think...............I will be luck to get the filet down....

Peni - if you start on Saturday (which is what I have on my start date), you will only have to crochet about 50 "blocks" a day.

That means that on 6/9 you would have to crochet rows 1 through 7. That will have you end on rows 12/22, which would give you a day to do the border, and then a day for washing and blocking.

Filet is actually quite straightforward. If you have any kind of hook and thread at home, try the first few rows of the pattern now - I did and am now comfortable for when I get my real threads! Kathy did a great job of explaining things. I will be able to help you, as I have to go through this pattern twice in the same timeframe as you, so I will be ahead.

Is yours a present?

Peni - if you start on Saturday (which is what I have on my start date), you will only have to crochet about 50 "blocks" a day.

That means that on 6/9 you would have to crochet rows 1 through 7. That will have you end on rows 12/22, which would give you a day to do the border, and then a day for washing and blocking.

Filet is actually quite straightforward. If you have any kind of hook and thread at home, try the first few rows of the pattern now - I did and am now comfortable for when I get my real threads! Kathy did a great job of explaining things. I will be able to help you, as I have to go through this pattern twice in the same timeframe as you, so I will be ahead.

Too ambitious for me! :eek:blush Can we pick another holiday, like next year's July 4th (2008)?

Ellen, I can give you whatever timeframe you need! Just let me know when you're going to start and when you're hoping to finish, and I can figure it all out for you!

Well let me finish the baby blanket I'm working on and maybe I'll be ready by this Saturday. Yeah, what the heck, count me in for this CAL. Yikes...did I just make a commitment to you??:lol

I have this wonderful thick/thin thread that I'm thinking of using. It's a little brighter in color than a burnt orange. I may have to work up a swatch to see if it would be appropriate for this project.

So you can figure it all out for me?:lol Will you crochet it for me too?:hug Call me lazy but that may be the only way I'll have it finished before my 65th birthday (8 years from now).

I am not supposed to be starting new projects... I am supposed to be finishing some WIPs!!!!! Yet... here I am. No self-control whatsoever. I got my pattern this afternoon, so sign me up, Krystal.

I'll add this one to my siggy... I'm 2 rounds away from finishing my neice's baby blanket, so I'll try to get that one finished before the weekend so I can go buy the thread for this one.... I might make it in black w/silver or gold thread.

I've done some filet work before, but this looks like a somewhat advanced pattern, with picots and popcorns and everything... I'm sure I'll be on here asking stupid questions once I get started!!!

:elle:jumpyay I am just so excited.

Krystal, I am thinking it might be years before I finish this :eek ........but yes If I can get it done, it will be a gift for my mom. and you are doing 2??

Thank you Kathy for helpin us if we need you.:hook :hook

I am looking through my threads, to see what color to use???

hugs

peni

Peni, all I've got sitting here is one boring skein of white, plus I only have a 0 and a 7 - nothing in between! And that 7 is a little difficult with the thread! I get to go shopping on Thursday! (I hope!)

If not, Saturday morning...

Peni, all I've got sitting here is one boring skein of white, plus I only have a 0 and a 7 - nothing in between! And that 7 is a little difficult with the thread! I get to go shopping on Thursday! (I hope!)

If not, Saturday morning...

I have a whole bunch of dusty rose that I was going to make a thread pineapple shawl, but it is still at the spot I stopped at to order the thread!!:blush I really like the looks of the gudge brown onw! Black would be perfect but I can't see black very good so that is out, Red is my favorite color...........so I am still guessing? :D

peni

Hi Krystal, I think I am going to order thread from Herrschners..........It will be at least a week or so before I can start if I do. Boy I dug out my thread I was using on my pineapple shawl......ohhhhh I just can't rip it out!! I want to finish the pineapple someday. So I decided it is either order thread or start in ecru..**boring**

hummmmmmmmm what to do???? lol :think

I am thinking an ecru or a "mocha latte" color... don't know if JoAnn's has something like that.

Should I go with JoAnn's or Aunt Lydia's at ACMoore? I don't know what brand of thread is better - and you can't really FEEL them through that .. OH WAIT!!! I just remembered I have a skein of Aunt Lydia's HERE!!! I also have some Opera.. both in 10, but the Aunt Lydia's seems thinner?

I need some guidance in thread selection - what are the pro's and con's of the different brands (Coats & Clark vs. Aunt Lydia's - I think those are the only 2 I have access to)...

I am thinking an ecru or a "mocha latte" color... don't know if JoAnn's has something like that.

Should I go with JoAnn's or Aunt Lydia's at ACMoore? I don't know what brand of thread is better - and you can't really FEEL them through that .. OH WAIT!!! I just remembered I have a skein of Aunt Lydia's HERE!!! I also have some Opera.. both in 10, but the Aunt Lydia's seems thinner?

I need some guidance in thread selection - what are the pro's and con's of the different brands (Coats & Clark vs. Aunt Lydia's - I think those are the only 2 I have access to)...

Fran said she used the Aunt Lydia's..I think. I can get Aunt Lydia's here at walmart, but that is the only place here to buy yarn or thread for me unless I order. I don't mind ecru, at least it is nuetral. I have plenty of that too. hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

peni

Personally, Krystal, I think it is soooo wrong for you to dangle this in front folks. Did you think the folks on the UFO thread wouldn't find out? I'm trying to be GOOD!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

I hope you know I am joking. This is truly a stunning shawl. must...resist....

sara

Well, you see... um... my dog ate it... and then this snowstorm... well, it blew me off course... and then .... well.... I HAVE NO EXCUSE EXCEPT I AM WEAK!!!!

I will have to walk the plank on the SKY CAL and beg for me life to the cap'n. She's back on board, I see... Hopefully promises of riches and pictures of beautiful projects will quell the beast. That, and I'm hoping the MANY pages of posts that she's missed will take her a few days to wade through!!!! LOL!

Besides, I'm finishing up an afghan in 2 days.... so it's not like I'm ADDING, I'm just REPLACING WIPS.

Honest!

:rofl :rofl :rofl

We think alike. I'm only a few round away from being done with a doily and I'm already thinking about what I could replace it with.

sara

Has anyone picked their color yet? I know a lot depends on inventory at the craft stores. But, heck, I'm willing to hit them all until something grabs me. Here's a link to Coats & Clark's #10 thread website; it shouldn't be too hard to pick one: http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Crochet/Threads/Size10/Coats+and+Clark+Size+10.htm. Each of the pictures on the site is clickable and takes you to the colors available in that particular thread. Now the key is finding the color you want in the local stores!

Mommy2max, welcome with us! Can we have your first name, so we can define you other than your relationship to Max?

:lol lol. This is Lori. Max is that cute and cuddly fuzzy-face up by my screen name!!

Archived