Katchkan's Viceroy Shawl CAL

Krystal16

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooom! there goes Ellen! :lol Had to rip out half of R16, I messed up. :( Nearly fixed now, though.

:lol It's been YEARS since anything made me zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooom! But, trust me, I frog faster than I crochet!

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, how was everyone's progress today? Peni, did you get anymore done? Ellen, did you get the hang of those increases on the thread yet?

carolyn - DID YOU FINISH ALREADY!?!?!

way - Did I get your "real" name? I can't wait to see the pattern in a variegate. I love vareigates!

Fran, have you had a chance to start your second one yet?

Ellen, did you get the hang of those increases on the thread yet?

I'm not sure. The swatch I did in worsted weight and the swatch I did in thread looked more like yours. But I'm not entirely sure I'm sticking the hook in the right part of the previous stitch for increasing.

I'm driving poor Kathy crazy. She developed a pictorial to help but, for some reason, it's not coming through. (Yes, I can accept spam, heaven help me, but it wasn't thrown in that folder either.) So she's trying to work something out to help via her website.

This is going to be a crochet-free evening. I'm going to watch TV and catch up on reading.

Yep, I'm a few rows into the butterfly part. I wanted to comment on the variegated thread for this--I worked almost a ball of the blue/lavender, turquoise "Ocean" color into one. The colors were too busy and the design got lost. The beige may look great though. But if there are strong colors, you will see the colors and not the beautiful design of the shawl. Experience speaking here.

Hi gang,

Yes Krystal, I got to row 25 this afternoon and I am getting ready to do some more.

Wow fran I can't believe you are that far already!! Sheesh! I am soooooooo slow. Of course a rip here a rip there adds up or I should say eats up the time spent crocheting. I guess I am slow cause this is my 1st filet and I am still learning...

How far did you get Krystal??

peni

Well I have made it to row 78, boy it's getting wide now....going to quit for the night and catch up on some quality TV time:D I have found that this progect takes too much concentration to watch tv too...it's looking really good though I think I have about 10 rows left on the butterfly:hook

Wow, here I thought that I'd be helping YOU ladies out, and you're all BUZZING past me! LOL!

I am only doing the rows I need to do, because I like to work on more than one project at a time. I am still at row 17. Today I'll get up to 20, but I have 4 other things I have to work on to stay on track. This way I don't get project burn-out, if I work a little at a time.

If I get into that "crazed WIP worker", nothing else in my house gets done, and with 4 kids, that's just a disaster!

Gotta go, nearly bus time.

Thanks for your help the other day, Kathy. I'm going to be way behind on this CAL because I've developed shingles. They're on my right side, and the whole right side of my body hurts when I try to use my arm. I haven't even been on the computer for a few days because it hurts when I use the mouse. I'll try to do the first few rows again, a little at a time and let you all know how it's going. Right now, I'm totally confused. I think it's all the new terms to learn. :think

Wish me luck.

Rita K

Ugh! I might as well move out to the swamp, with this froggin' I'm doing! Got ALL the way done with Row 17... and realized I messed up my increase chains at the BEGINNING of the row. I DISLIKE (strongly) working into that first chain, and I could KICK myself for having counted it wrong. Now I get to do ALL those first edcs into the chain AGAIN!

Ugh! I might as well move out to the swamp, with this froggin' I'm doing! Got ALL the way done with Row 17... and realized I messed up my increase chains at the BEGINNING of the row. I DISLIKE (strongly) working into that first chain, and I could KICK myself for having counted it wrong. Now I get to do ALL those first edcs into the chain AGAIN!

You are not alone Krystal, I think we are all doing a bit of froggin.........one clue for me when working with thread..........If I switch between thread and yarn it is harder for me to handle the thread as I crochet differant with yarn. When I crochet strictly withthread it gets easier and I can even crochet with sewing thread but if I switch back and forth, thread (size 10) seem very akward and hard to hold. Soooooo to the WIP pile went my afghans and dolls until I get this shawl finished.....

Just a thought

peni

I found that frogging becomes more difficult if you're mixing in the metallic sewing thread. I'm not crazy about its look either. So final decision: I'm not going to use the metallic thread.

Kathy sent me a pictorial on increasing at the end of a row so I can visually see where to put the hook. However, another roadblock -- I'm a lefty, so I'm waiting for the lefthanded version of the pictorial. It's funny but Kathy is a lefty and her original pictorial was for lefties.

Oh well .... gives me a chance to catch up on other WIPs.

Peni - then I must be insane, because I LITERALLY have my shawl project on my desk, and my YARN project in the LR. Depending on which room I am, I am bouncing from yarn to thread about 20 times a day! LOL!

:eek I was trying to do thread by day and yarn at night cause it is easier to see..................when I noticed going back and forth was tricky........but if it works for you , go for it.....I will probably give in too, cause I want to finish my doll!! But for now I am really into the shawl.......

peni

I'm still on that pesky row 18. But I haven't been at my desk much, so that's my excuse! I have to work with this football of a skein on a desktop, as I put my spool of metallic down the center of it so I don't have it rolling around all over the place. (Remember, this skein of #10 is HUGE!!!)

:think :think Where is everyone?? Are ya all crocheting??:hook

I have done a couple more rows, and just got the pictorial from Kathy and I am doing the increases at the end of rows close, very close to the right way. now................my beginning is wrong but I am NOT frogging this whole thing:eek :eek :eek

Guess I best get back to hookin................:hook time is flyin by. It will be Christmas before we know it...:devil I know bite my tongue!! :santa

peni

Kathy -

If ya don't mind, can I have that picture tute (right hand) for the increases. I've done it a couple different ways and don't like either method I've done for one reason or the other. Maybe they're ALL wrong! :lol

Just use the email in my sig \/ down there... :ty

I've FINALLY finished that row I frogged - didn't get back here earlier. Too much to do... now I hope to work on it in a little bit.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!! Can I cry now?

You know that row (18) that I had to rip out because I had TOO MANY stitches in it? I just got it finished, went on to do more....

And I realized that I HAD the right number of stitches in it the first time, I was looking at row *15* when I thought I had the wrong number! Now I have to :frog it all back out and do it again!!!!! :cry

Well, I FINALLY got up to row 20 done. Tomorrow, I will do better at making sure my counts are right!

I think my gauge is tight, (can't find a ruler -oops, got one!) which is surprising, because in yarn, my gauge is loose. Well, my 9 blocks ARE 3 inches, but my 20 rows are only 5 1/4", and should be 6". :think How do I fix this? (In the future, that is!) I really don't want my squares to be wide rectangles. :(

Maybe when I block it, I'll streeetch it lenghtwise?

Is it my tension, or is this a little on the "crispy" side? My thread is nice and soft. Maybe it's the metallic thread added in? Not a big issue for a table topper, but if it were a shawl and this scratchy, I wouldn't wear it. Wondering what others' comments are? Fran?

You know that row (18) that I had to rip out because I had TOO MANY stitches in it? I just got it finished, went on to do more....

And I realized that I HAD the right number of stitches in it the first time, I was looking at row *15* when I thought I had the wrong number! Now I have to :frog it all back out and do it again!!!!! :cry

Ohhh...so sorry:( Here this is for you:flower :hug

Krystal,

I am so sorry about that. :( on the bright side, you caught it now rather than 4-5 rows down.

I'm not doing this CAL at this time and I've not seen/ordered the pattern yet; but I have done a few filet shawls before and may be able to help you w/ the keeping the right row. I usu print out the pattern and use a highlighter to mark off the rows that I have done. If I stop 1/2 way through a row, I'd use the marker to mark up to the point where I am at.

Just a thought to help deal w/ the experience of working w/ thread and the pattern.

Sandy (getting so excited to see everyone's butterfly shawls)

Archived