Am I the only one with rugburn on my fingers?

:think I don't usually have this problem, but I'm working very diligently on this wip 2 strand giant granny and I noticed yesterday that the two fingers that I string my yarn through on my left hand are feeling a bit like they are getting rugburn. I just switched to a new skein, new color in the project. I also don't usually spend quite so much time crocheting at one sitting, but I'm trying to finish this project in record time. it could be either or, DH suggested a thimble, but I showed him that its not the tip of my finger....do any of you encounter this?

I haven't had that problem, but you might consider putting something on your suspectible finger to lessen the friction. Maybe a touch of lotion or petroleum jelly? Just realize that some will necessarily get onto the yarn, too.

I hope your fingers start feeling better!

~ Joy

I have gotten a little irritated spot on my pointer finger, I just use a band aid, I like using the flexible fabric ones. The stay on pretty good and stretch, especially when the aggravated area is just about or near on the knuckle or joint of the finger.

I have been aware that the yarn is abrading the skin on my left hand fingers. It is usually done by the RH yarns that are less soft than others. :wlol

It has never required treatment but I am sure it would if I went on a real crochet tangent and just did crochet for hours on end.

Darski, you hit it...its RH yarn.

Bandaids....I feed the yarn between my pointer and middle finger...yes, I can use two bandaids, that would work....kinda funny looking, but who's watching anyway?:yes

The band-aid idea is a great one - it actually would be like one of those soft flexible rubber thimbles, but better since it can go anywhere, not just over the tip of a finger.

Great idea!

~ Joy

same as band aids there is a flesh colored soft tape that stays when you wrap it around. its kinda like a ace bandage, only for fingers. i forget the name of it, but its in the first aid isle.

I recently did a baby afghan with RH, 2 strands. I thought it was going to tear the skin off my fingers. I like the bandaid idea, and may try it the next time I have to use RH. thanks

i have not had that problem either but they do make a thing called a knitting thimble i have seen them at walmart and herrschners and other places its longer than a normal thimble and it has a clasp on the top that you put your yarn through and it snaps down and glides through it and not on your fingers i would say its long enough to put on and have it come to your middle knuckle

i tend to get a weird mark on my index finger when i crochet with sport weight or thread....and it fades some but i have tried the bandaide thing...works great!

... but they do make a thing called a knitting thimble i have seen them at walmart ...

I've tried one of these, and found it awkward, and only moderately helpful in controlling the flow of the yarn. Although it is designed to improve handling of multiyarn projects, it only seemed to make things worse. So although I needed the protection when I made the RH 2 stranded project, it only impeded my progress, so I quit using it.

Ruth

I may try the knitting thimble, but the bandaid thing seems to work well. I also have these non-latex exam gloves I might try, but I don't think I will like them. I used them as a teen when I worked in food service, and I couldn't stand them.

I use masking tape, I want to try the white medical tape but I keep on forgetting to buy it when I'm at the store. I started doing this when I was making alot of fabric rugs and that really made me hands rough and a bit sore so I had the roll of masking tape to pick up fabric fuzz and just took a piece and put it all the way around my pinky, it works for yarn too.

Eva

Years ago I had a friend with the same problem,, her hands were sentive.... I told her to wear gloves with certain yarns that bothers her. Those rubber gloves you use for cleaning makes your hands sweat so I would not use those,,thin and leather like ,,but now thats it hot not a good idea,,, but like the others here say,, band aids work too. Another thing cut off a finger from the rubber gloves and just wear the finger part over your finger. Hope all the ideas everyone is giving you that something there will help you.

happy crocheting......

I get the mark on my index finger like kitten1982. I usually use a band aide too. My MIL let me use a quilting thimble which covers most of your finger. It's a little big on me (I have skinny fingers) but it helps. I've tried the knitting one that was described too but it didn't fit either. I also crocheted myself a sort of finger cover. It slides onto my finger and it helps too. I don't know if there's a pattern or anything for it I sort of made it up. :lol

I get burn on my index finger on my left hand...It's permanently red, and I can feel a dip in the skin between each knuckle from where the yarn rubs....

I'd never thought of using a bandaid! I'm going to do that from now on.

I have a dent that is generally there on my finger, mostly because I crochet really really tight. I tried a band aid but it bugged me too much. Now I just make sure that when I am done crocheting and frequently throughout my day I moisturize with a super duper moisturizing lotion. I use the avon stuff that is like a brick.

Good luck

I hated using Red Heart SS, so I switched to Bernat Super Value...they have just as many colors, and it's a mite less expensive. It's also reaalllly soft, too; not quite like Caron SS, but close. It's also easier to work with, IMHO.

Oh! Another trick I did before I discovered Bernat's line, I met a Mary Kay consultant (which I am one now) who introduced me to their Satin Hands set. When I crocheted with RHSS, my hands ended up in a pretty rough and dry condition. The consultant had me try the Satin Hands, which gets rid of all the rough stuff and moisturizes and softens your hands. If it got really rough, I used a little more of the Extra Emollient Night Cream at night, and kept using the hand lotion, then did the Satin Hands the next day. This worked fairly well for me.

Yes, I've gotten rugburn many times. My skin is sensitive and this continues to be a problem even without crocheting for hours on end. Only... I've tried bandaids and they seems to be in the way.

I use band aids too--wroks great for me--I always get a deep indetion on my finger but it always "fluffs" back up awhile after I get done.

Archived