Can I use DMC floss?

Hi. I have 3 boxes of DMC floss from when I did cross stitch years ago. Would it be possible to use it for thread crocheting? My thought would be that it might separate since it is six strands. Also, what size would it compare to in crochet thread since I usually see size 10 thread used. Any help would be appreciated as I have not done thread crocheting yet but would love to find a way to use my DMC floss up. Thanks!

Kristy

I would imagine you could use it. Although I have never tried it. I would think it would be something like using more than one strand of any other yarn.

Besides, I have heard of crocheting with spaghetti, why not DMC floss?!

I have crocheted with embroidery floss to trim doll dresses and to make very small doll dresses. It worked fine for those projects.

I actually use DMC floss to crochet Barbie Clothes. If you keep the strands together, they equal about a size 2 yarn size. (think Red Heart Lustersheen) So, the possibilities are endless, but you have to keep in mind the limited amount of floss that comes in a skein. I use about 5-6 for an average size Barbie skirt.

I eased my way into thread with floss. I used a size 3 steel hook and it fit perfectly. I could make a heart Christmas ornament size or a cross bookmark size with just about 1 little skein

2 strands = size #10 thread

4 strands = size # 5 thread

6 strands = size # 3 thread

This is what I use to decide what size I need. I have used it to add a design in a sweater vest for things like pheasants that have bold an vibrant colors.

I've crocheted little flower motifs in varying strand amounts of floss and I really like it, also barbie clothes and other small bits and bobs. I tat with it too. It has a beautiful soft finish but separating the strands can be tedious!!

The only thing I can find about crocheting with spaghetti is that such a feat seems to be featured in the March 2006 issue of Crochet Magazine. Can anyone verify?

yes, I have this issue. And it does have instructions on crocheting with spaghetti. The things that are made aren't very big. A pair of earrings, decorations for a place holder and I think a "drop" for a necklace.

Thanks for all the ideas. I tried making a necklace last night with the floss but it didn't start too well so I took it out. I then held 3 together (6 strands each) and began to crochet a baby hat. It looked really good but I ran out of the color I had so then got the idea to mix three colors and keep changing colors as I ran out but it was too late to try it at that point so I will try later. First I will try with 2 together and see if that is thick enough.

I also love paper embroidery and have two Erica Fortgens books so I make a lot of cards using the floss, however I still have WAY too much floss. Thanks for the ideas!

Kristy

I actually love crocheting with embroidery floss unseperated it is equivalent to #10 (roughly) it is shinier and you need more but it is very easy to work with. I made a bookmark in the shape of a grey squirrel and I could not find grey thread anywhere so i tried floss and the squirrel took only one skein of floss and the tail and tassel took another. As for seperating it I am not sure what it woulod be equivilant to.

yes, I have this issue. And it does have instructions on crocheting with spaghetti. The things that are made aren't very big. A pair of earrings, decorations for a place holder and I think a "drop" for a necklace.

And then . . . what? How does it not disintergrate? Are the pieces shellacked?

You can use it for crocheting. You would have to first separate its strands, lay them next to your size 10 strand and determine how many you'd need to use. Depending on how much you have you could try a small to medium doily.

Archived