It Takes a Village

JulieKay

Hello fellow Villagers,

As a lot of you are probably aware, the Administrators recently placed a notice on the boards that they will be holding an auction to raise funds to pay for the finances of keeping the 'ville up and running .

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52059

We all come in here each day for fun, inspiration, support ,advice ,etc .

This place has really become one of the absolute best online communities available .

Here, we not only come for crochet related things such as free patterns, help if we are unsure of directions , advice on colors, yarns, etc, but for life-related issues on family, friends and neighbors. I have made many friends during my time here as I'm sure a lot of you have .

Anyhow, I think it's time we give back a little for all the benefits we receive .

Cara from happyyellowhouse.com has graciously made a quilt-ghan pattern for us to use as a way of giving back .

I am asking for you to please consider volunteering to make at least one block( made of 9 small granny squares ) to donate so that we can put together a Quilt-ghan to be raffled off in the upcoming auction .

The link for the afghan is here :

http://happyyellowhouse.com/village.html

Cara and I will be making all the red and blue border squares and I will assemble the completed blocks .

We are asking that you use RedHeart yarn for the block since it is a sturdy yarn, easily available and holds up well . Please use white as the background for your square, then use any color you want for the "pinwheel" design .

We will need 20 blocks total .

Please try to make your squares as close as possible to the size specified and also to weave in ends .

Please contact me by PM to get my mailing address .

I will need to have the blocks all here no later than June 15th .

That gives you less than a month to complete yours and get it dropped in the mail . PM me when you mail it and I will PM you when it arrives here .

I hope that you will consider doing this as a small way of saying Thank You for the pleasure of coming in here each day .

I think it is well worth it . :manyheart

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, of course, I'm in :lol C'mon folks we can do this with very little effort and help pay back just a tiny bit of what the 'Ville has given us all. Personally, I owe Donna and Amy more than I could ever repay. Please help us show our appreciation :manyheart And special thanks to my special friend Julie for making all this happen :hug

Julie and Cara well done. :clap

This is such a great idea, to be able to bid on a ghan made by people all over the world will be something to treasure.

I would love to join but I dont have red heart yarn. You cant buy this yarn in Australia. I would gladly make one if I could use the yarn here that is 100% acrylic.

Good luck everyone.

Thanks for the kind words, Cara- but you are the brains behind all this. I'm just the mouth . :D

Mary- thanks, you are a real pal ! Got you down for 2 .

Krystal- thanks for volunteering -got your name down !

Wendy- thanks for your comments. I know it'd be hard for you to get this done in time from clear over there. I know you are our biggest cheerleader .

Birdlady and LadyBeBop - thanks to both of you ! It's nice to meet a few new people here. Can you give me your first names ? Makes it sound a little more "homey" that way . :)

Count me in for one too, please :) I made the full-colour squares while dinner was cooking! :eek Now to try the bi-coloured ones... I'll PM you Julie for the addy when I've got the block done - hope to mail it on Monday!

~k

This is a great idea! It will give me the chance to stop & sit for a few minutes to accomplish something. I'll make one too...

if you need more, I'd be up for that also. I'm off to work for now but will PM for addy after I finish :)

Birdlady and LadyBeBop - thanks to both of you ! It's nice to meet a few new people here. Can you give me your first names ? Makes it sound a little more "homey" that way . :)

Sure. It's Kathy. I'm not really new, I've been around 'bout a year. But I'm not that much of a poster. I'm more of a listener. :P

Helps me keep my foot outta my mouth. :blush

I got five done last night (including all four of the multi-colored). I should get them done this weekend.

Thanks, Tania !

I appreciate your help . :)

Thanks, Kathy - I think I've seen you around before in the ville, but I stay mostly here in the CAL area and hardly even venture out into any of the other places . I like it here best . :manyheart

It sounds like you are well on your way to having yours done already ! Good for you ! :)

Hi Ladies

I whipped up a block myself this morning. They really don't take much time at all. The weaving of ends took longer than the whole block took, but it turned out real cute. If I had good batteries for my camera, I'd take a shot .

I'll try to get to that later today . :)

Cara- I have my 15 red squares done and went and got my blue to start those today too .

What a wonderful idea. I am not sure I can commit but I'm going to try to make one (I am involved in a dishcloth swap and have to finish that by the same date you have). If I finish those (my goal is to do that this week) then I will work on this project and if I finish in time, then I will PM you so I can send it out.

Good morning Julie, I've got all 9 squares done and the ends hidden....but....:blush, would you mind to please share your easy-peasy-joining method again (it was you, wasn't it?)? I think I remember you posting it in one of your CAL's but my brain is mush....:think

Thanks!

~k

ETA: Nevermind, I found it! If anyone's interested, check here and here. How funny is that that you described your method in the only other CAL I've ever joined! hehehehe... :devil I must be getting older...

Thanks disney-

I'll keep you in mind and put a question mark beside your name just in case you can't get to it in time . Just drop me a note if you can !

:)

Kelle-

My easy joining method is to lay out all your squares in the order they go in, then either sl st or sc across horizontally, so you would take the first 2 squares on the right, put them together good sides facing, then sc across the side they attach to . Do not finish off, but pick up your next 2 squares, put them good sides facing like the last 2, and continue sc'ing across ,adding those 2 directly to the first 2. Do the same with your last 2 on the left .

When you get clear across this way, you will have the first 2 rows attached horizontally .

Then , go back to your last 3 squares. Start back at the right and sc the first one onto the spot it goes , attach 2nd, then third the same way across, so that you will have all 3 rows attached horizontally .

Then you will have to repeat the process vertically , but it won't be quite as hard since all the squares are now hooked together . This leave a lot less ends to weave in and makes it easy to add squares a whole row at a time rather than one square at a time .

Hope this helps-- some people like doing it this way and others prefer the whipstitching way .

Thanks, Heather- wow you are speedy !

I'll see how signups go yet today and tomorrow .I'm hoping to fill the last few spots when people find this posting .

I think Friday nights and Saturday mornings may be a hard time for people to check in here as much -- you know, payday, grocery and errands, ball games, things like that ,so we may get more people later on today to check in with us .

Thanks very much for your offer . :)

Archived