Wow! Look at all this room!

lindamry

Thank you Amy, for providing these Special Interest Groups. Is anybody else here?

I'll start:

I've been crocheting since I was about 10 years old but only started knitting about three years ago. I still sometimes have a problem with my tension on purl stitches. I knit Continental style on aluminum needles that I inherited from my grandmother. I'm currently knitting a vest in Homespun for my husband.

What about you?

Linda Y

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Thankyou!

I'm getting some yarn this weekend to knit my very first item. My dh is going to teach me. How cool is that! He learned to knit last year. His first scarf was a Slytherin Scarf for dd. I'm going to make him a Gryfindor scarf 'cause that's what he wants. I'll using size 7 bamboo circ needles and ww plymouth encore in the appropriate colors. I want to get good enough to knit socks. I like crocheted socks but I want some knit ones too.

Thank you Amy for providing these special groups.

I'm a beginner knitter for the last 15 years:eek Yes I have been trying to teach myself to knit for 15 years. I kept getting frustrated and throwing the needles in a drawer then digging them out again and starting all over. Last year I found the Continental method and I just took off. It suddenly all made since to me. I think since I'm a crocheter, holding the yarn in my right hand and throwing was just too confusing and akward.

I am currently working on a sweater for myself using a Patons pattern and Caron Soft Shadows yarn.

I'm a beginner knitter for the last 15 years:eek Yes I have been trying to teach myself to knit for 15 years. I kept getting frustrated and throwing the needles in a drawer then digging them out again and starting all over. Last year I found the Continental method and I just took off.

I tried to learn to knit multiple times through the years, too. Except I've tried many times since the age of 15 or so, and I'm 42 now! I also was finally successful when I tried the continental method this past year.

I still prefer crochet for many things, since I'm so much faster at it.

My favorite thing to knit is socks! I have now accumulated quite a few free sock patterns, and I received several sock knitting books at Christmas.

I learned to knit socks on DPNs, but now I love the magic loop method (one sock on one circular).

Hey ya'll!

I had a neighbor when I was in High School who was from France and she both crocheted and knitted. Man I wished I'd paid more attention to the knitting! She helped me make a short top - she started and finished, I did the middle part.

I've practiced a little bit and I have collected some knitting books, some really really cute animal patterns (which is my MAIN motivation for learning) and I have some odd needles and then the needle master (I've had for about 3-4 years - it's still in the PLASTIC!)

I've declared that this year is the year I learn so here I am!

I've been crocheting since I was about 10 years old but only started knitting about three years ago. I still sometimes have a problem with my tension on purl stitches. I knit Continental style on aluminum needles that I inherited from my grandmother. I'm currently knitting a vest in Homespun for my husband.

What about you?

Linda Y

Is your tension on purl stitches tighter or looser? My purl stitches were always looser (I've always knit Continental) even when I tried to tighten them consciously, but I tried the "combination knitting" method and found that it really works well for me. This method is known for its nice, even tension. But the stitches sit differently on the needles, so one has to be careful with that.

I've been knitting off and on since I was 12 or so (I'm now 39), but I'm still a beginner-intermediate. Looking forward to seeing your vest in a post!

I love it that Amy has added this. I've knitted for 7 years now, but have crocheted over 30 years. Since I learned how to knit I have to admit to not crocheting a whole lot. I love the quality of yarns, patterns, and other supplies offered to knitters; sometimes I feel crocheters aren't taken seriously by mag and book publishers, who often reserve their best creative energies to market to knitters. I have encountered crochet "snobs" (refuse to mention the K word) and knitting "snobs" (refuse to mention the C word) and think both of these types are ridiculous; WHY can't we all just get along? LOL I've even done the "ultimate taboo"; I've knit and crochet IN THE SAME PIECE.

For the longest time I could cast on and do the knit stitch and that was about it. Then my Crochet Guild chapter had a knitting workshop and I definitely got "bit" by the knitting bug and have been voraciously knitting ever since. I've subbed to both beg and adv knitting groups here, and hope most of you do the same.

:cheer I am not a beginner knitter but the opposite so I have joined here to help others get started.

For many years I owned a Wool Shop and knitted for my customers so over the years I have knitted hundreds and maybe even thousands of garments.

I used to make original designs for customers when they wanted something different.

I also employed a few women who just knitted and I sewed up and finished off neckbands, button bands etc and learned a few tricks along the way.

I will keep my eye out for anyone who needs my help.

I am off to bed now because it is tomorrow already.

12.56am, Friday 13th April.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

:cheer I am not a beginner knitter but the opposite so I have joined here to help others get started.

I guess this will make 2 of us. I've been knitting for over 20 years off and on, and while I can't do any special stitches, I can be here as well to help anyone that needs it.

I actually "learned to knit" before I learned to crochet.

Only now I crochet...home decor, doilies, clothes...etc etc...and the only knitting I know is a simple cast on, the knit stitch, and a simple cast off.

I'd *love* to learn more knitting (y'know, cables, the works) and I plan on doing so when I don't have two websites and a full time job.

In other words, I don't think I'll ever have time, but I'll have fun watching you all. :lol

Hi folks! I am so new at knitting that I knit my very first anything two weeks ago. The amount of finished knitting I have done isn't much more than six square inches. Haven't even made a scarf yet. That's because I am practicing, which involves more frogging than actual finished product.

I can cast on (getting real good at it :D ), knit stitch, purl stitch and bind off. The last two need much more practice, though. I'm having a tough time holding onto the yarn. This may be because I'm doing it English style and I'm used to holding the yarn in my left hand for crochet. In the meantime, I keep practicing the cast on and the garter stitch. Once I get to the point where my stitches are consistently even, I'll attempt a scarf.

The videos at knittinghelp.com have been a big help.

Thanks, Amy for starting this group!

Hi ladies. I have been trying to learn to knit for years now. I finally broke down and took a class the beginning of February. I am still working on my first project. My goal is to learn how to make socks. This will be a long term goal because I get frustrated very easy and it's so much easier to put down the needles and pick up the hook.

Oh I envy you, Amy. I want to knit socks. That's the main reason I'm learning. Mom knits so slowly now I hate to ask her to do anything complicated. She doesn't know it yet, but next week after our company leaves, we're going down to the LYS; they're going to show me how to purl and mom to sc (for a border around her knit squares) since we can't teach each other. And I'm going to teach the teacher how to read a crochet pattern, and move beyond sc and into all the fun stitches.

Yes, Thankyou!

I'm getting some yarn this weekend to knit my very first item. My dh is going to teach me. How cool is that! He learned to knit last year. His first scarf was a Slytherin Scarf for dd. I'm going to make him a Gryfindor scarf 'cause that's what he wants. I'll using size 7 bamboo circ needles and ww plymouth encore in the appropriate colors. I want to get good enough to knit socks. I like crocheted socks but I want some knit ones too.

That is totally cool! :yay I wish my husband would consider learning how to do some kind of craft. . .

Would one of you more expert sock knitters be willing to start a KAL? I fumbled through my first (and only) pair of knitted socks over a year ago. It was definitely fun!

Linda Y

I've been wanting to learn to knit for about 2 years now. For christmas of 2005 my mom got me one of those learn to knit kits. I think the book made me more afraid to try knitting than teaching :lol It all looked so complicated. My mom didn't believe that it could be that hard to understand so she tried...for about 5 minutes lol then gave up. Then my dad even tried it!:eek He couldn't get it either. So I put my knitting needles away till august of 2006. I decided maybe I could find something online, the same way I taught myself to crochet. So I figured out how to cast on and do a knit stitch, but that's about the extent of my knitting knowledge. I gave up after it took me 3 days to get about 4 inches of fabric...now I couldn't honestly tell you where my knitting needles are, so i'll have to buy a set. I'd really like to try making socks. And hopefully one day, a top. (Am I too ambitious?) So that is my long winded knitting story :D

I can knit a bit but can't purl yet. I've promised to go back to my friendly local yarn store and learn very soon. I can't wait to be able to say I knit AND crochet!

I found Sally Melville's book The Knitting Experience Book 2: The Purl Stitch very helpful when I just couldn't quite figure it out. She's got a couple different methods of holding the yarn with a LOT of good photos.

Good luck!

Linda Y

Is your tension on purl stitches tighter or looser? My purl stitches were always looser (I've always knit Continental) even when I tried to tighten them consciously, but I tried the "combination knitting" method and found that it really works well for me. This method is known for its nice, even tension. But the stitches sit differently on the needles, so one has to be careful with that.

I've been knitting off and on since I was 12 or so (I'm now 39), but I'm still a beginner-intermediate. Looking forward to seeing your vest in a post!

My main problem is consistency. I actually use the Eastern Uncrossed method of knitting if you want to get technical, so I may try the combination knitting since it's pretty close. . . I think really I just need more practice.

Thanks!

Linda Y

I've even done the "ultimate taboo"; I've knit and crochet IN THE SAME PIECE.

My mom bought me a book by Candi Jensen called Knitting Loves Crochet. It has quite a few cute patterns and information about how to combine knitting and crochet. I haven't made anything from it yet. . .

Linda Y

For those of you who want to learn or have tried knitting and it "didn't quite take" I recommend Debbie Stoller's Stitch 'n Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook. It's written in a fun accessible style with good drawings. It also has some very cute and easy patterns. This book is how I finally learned to knit after several attempts through the years.

Have fun! ('Cause that's what this is really all about. ;) )

Linda Y

For those of you who want to learn or have tried knitting and it "didn't quite take" I recommend Debbie Stoller's Stitch 'n Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook. It's written in a fun accessible style with good drawings. It also has some very cute and easy patterns. This book is how I finally learned to knit after several attempts through the years.

Have fun! ('Cause that's what this is really all about. ;) )

Linda Y

That book and watching some video clips online finally got me going. I just taught myself to knit this last fall and love it. I really enjoy being able to do both knit and crochet. So I am currently on a knitting kick, have made a cape for my son, a hat, and now am down to the last sleeve of a easy sweater pattern (next comes the seaming, oh boy!:no ). I also have a lacy scarf on another set of needles. I hope to learn socks next. I love the sock Kal idea.

Thank you so much Amy for starting this section, maybe it will encourage more people to learn both ways to play with yarn! Stormy

YAY! I learned to knit first about 3 or 4 years ago. I wanted to learn to crochet, so I watched some videos online. Now I can do both. :) I guess I'm an advanced beginner. I just knitted my first "real" sock using 2 circular needles. I've made slippers but not socks so this is exciting for me. :clap

Archived