Wow! Look at all this room!

lindamry

I consider myself a beginner knitter but have been knitting for over 20 years now. Yep, you read that right. Crochet comes easily for me, but knitting is WORK. Still I love to knit (or at least try to). I skimmed/read through everyone else's posts and I didn't see mentioned a wonderful website that has video and voice showing how to do almost every knit stitch in english and continental knitting. Let me go surf the web for a moment and find it. It really is just wonderful. She shows everything from how to cast on, the knit stitch, the purl stitch, knitting with dpns, knitting with circulars, and on and on and on.

Here is the link.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I consider myself a beginner knitter but have been knitting for over 20 years now. Yep, you read that right. Crochet comes easily for me, but knitting is WORK. Still I love to knit (or at least try to). I skimmed/read through everyone else's posts and I didn't see mentioned a wonderful website that has video and voice showing how to do almost every knit stitch in english and continental knitting. Let me go surf the web for a moment and find it. It really is just wonderful. She shows everything from how to cast on, the knit stitch, the purl stitch, knitting with dpns, knitting with circulars, and on and on and on.

knittinghelp.com ?????

That is where I learned to knit continental style :)

Thanks again Amy for this area! I started crocheting in 2004 and haven't looked back since! I have tried several times to learn how to knit and have had no luck. At a friends suggestion I got some really big knitting needles as I heard it was easier to learn to knit with big ones. I will say that at least I learned how to do the knit stitch. Purl isn't so easy though and I can never seem to do it right! I can cast on all day long but other than that, everytime I try, I get frustrated and put them away. I'm hoping that I'll be able to learn from everyone else and finally be able to do this and actually complete a knitted project!!!

Thank you, Amy! What a great way to encourage knitting newbies such as me! :cheer

It's only been recently that I've been thinking of my grandmother and the fantastic knitted items she made. I so wish that she had taught me. I've tried to learn off and on through the years, but got very frustrated very fast. Now that I'm older and hopefully wiser and more patient I'm trying to knit again. I'm so new at knitting that I'm still working on my tension. I have the knit stitch down pat, but that purl stitch is giving me a bit of trouble.

I'm looking forward to soaking up like a sponge all the advice and how-to's that will be posted in this group.

BTW, are there any knitting smilies to add to the collection? Now that would be cool!

:yarn I began knitting, when I was really little.(with my grandma) I began again when I was 15...all I remembered was the basics, casting on,off, and the garter stitch. I didn't know any one else who knit, and was clueless to all of the rescorces we have. So, Again, it was out of my life.

A girlfriend of mine got me into crochet some years ago, and thanx to the Ville, and the web, I have increased my knowledge greatly. Now I would like to expand my knitting knowledge.:yarn

Ohhhh, and I have I started making a miniature sock.

I have the 28 sts cast on, and I have the stitches on

the 3 dpns............and Im like, UH OH........what now! hahaha!

Take a deep breath and then do one stitch at a time! Those mini socks are just so cute!

:knit

Linda Y

I'm just learning and teaching myself from books and from the knittinghelp.com website; I love her videos. They are so helpful.

I'm doing a drop stitch scarf with Pebbles yarn; it's soo soft and it doesn't make me itch like most wools do, so I love it!

I'm also making a shawl for my Mom and it's got some lace-stuff going on! It's really easy, though.

I started making the Knit Dorm Socks from Red Heart with their Strata yarn, but have set them aside for now, until I get a bit more comfortable with knitting and keeping tension. Working with the dpn's isn't hard, really, but keeping tension with them is, so until I get more used to working with two pointy sticks, I'll wait on socks, even with chunky yarn.

I've been crocheting since 2nd grade I think, but just started knitting in November 2006. My friend and confirmation sponsor taught me for my 17th birthday, and I picked up almost everything beyond that first scarf online.

Since then, I've made small projects like a little stuffed duck for my brother. I am currently working on a long-term sweater project from knitty.com (I'll have to post pics sometime) and a pair of socks in microspun (I finished one and will have to get my act together soon) There are so many project ideas floating in my head, but they will have to wait...

I will always love crochet, but you have to admit that for many projects, knitting just has the texture that you need. Take socks for example.

I'm so excited about this group, and I really look forward to getting some advice from all the friendly ladies who's craft advice I have come to trust so much.

Here's to knitting!

-RCS

My grandmother taught my brother and I to knit when I was 7 or 8 years old on our Christmas holidays...really my brother wanted to learn, and being the bratty little sister I insisted I learn too so I wouldn't be left out...she told my mother I was simply rubbish :lol Just couldn't get the hang of holding both yarn and needles, and my stitches were so so tight she was almost cursing trying to get her needles in to loosen them up :rofl

I didn't have much use for it (neither did my brother) until years later when I tried to knit my newborn nephew a sweater....my nephew just turned 18 and that little sweater is still on the needles in a cupboard in my mother's house...

I had a good friend teach me how to crochet a few years later and grew to love it so much I forgot all about knitting until around 15 years later, which just happened to be Christmas of '05, when I mused aloud to my husband that it would be nice to relearn knitting....next thing I knew I had an "I taught myself knitting" kit in my stocking and I've been going ever since.

It's weird, but I think it took me falling in love with crocheting to be able to appreciate and love knitting as well. I love both now and do both regularly...I've even thought of getting that little sweater I started all those years ago and finishing it, just for my own peace of mind :D

I taught myself to knit about two years ago. I have found that either continental or combined works best for me since the yarn is held the same as when I crochet.

Great to be here! I heart Crochetville and love that we have a place to talk about knitting here! Thanks Amy & Donna! :ghug

:bounce

Well, my mother tried to teach me to knit when I was little, but I could never get the hang of it. Two years ago I fell in love with a sweater on the cover of Interweave Knits and determined to learn. So when Mom was visiting, we had knitting class. That was 2 years ago, but I still think I'm a beginner.

I've made 2 baby afghans for Project Linus, 4 scarves, and 1 shawl (to learn how to decrease and increase). Yarn overs and making spaces and cables I've got down. Right now I'm making the "Sleepy in Seattle" baby afghan in Knit Along with Debbie Macomber to practice working with bumpy boucle yarn and needles. I'm using Bernat Baby Boucle in yellow (because I already had 4 skeins of it at hand).

Twinnish, check out the knittinghelp.com videos. She shows you how to knit continental with the yarn in your left hand, which just feels so right. Yarn was meant to be in your left hand.

Oh, and i"ve been trying for year to make the Delta shawl on the elann website (free pattern), and it's been giving me fits! I'll be begging for help with that real soon! Thanks, Donna and Amy, for giving us this space! You gals are awesome!!

Patty

My mom taught me to knit when I was probably like 8 years old, it seems like I have been knitting forever. I self taught myself to crochet about 4 years ago, but I still like to knit and I am so happy to see the knitting forums start up. I usually have a knitting and a crochet project on the go at the same time.

Susan

WOOT! I am here! This is gonna be SO MUCH FUN!!! Thanks for doing this Amy! Now - to get my knitting needles and shake off the dust!!!

I'm With ya KnicKnac! I'm still trying to learn myself, but I'm better at someone showing me instead of just reading the directions!

So glad we have this group now!! :hug:yay

Krystal:hook

Hi! I'm here. I self taught myself to knit. I've made scarves, 1 baby sweater and other misc. things. I still don't have the confidence to say that I'm a pro at it.....and I hate reading knit patterns...lol But maybe this group will give me some inspration :)

It's great to see some familiar people here!:hug

I bought the Stich'nBitch Kitting book last week...is the timing for this group right on, or what!?

Anyway, I even have a knitting kit for a pink, fun fur scarf which I bought last October, but never touched.

Is that yarn not the best to start with?

I was taught to make a scarf once - but too many years ago to matter. I'm definitely a newbie here.

I also downloaded knitted baby blanket patterns from the Lion Brand Site - I thought they'd be a good beginner project.

...KATHY..what is the LYS store where you're going to take knitting lessons?

:hugThanks Amy for adding this group!

:hook I love crochet; it is quick and relaxing. I've only been crocheting about a year now, but I have finished numerous afghans, dish cloths, and bags. My family loves receiving my handmade items.:manyheart

However, my grandmother did both crochet and knitting so I thought I would carry on the tradition. :grandmaThere's such history in the stich. She passed all of her pattern books, crochet hooks, knitting needles, unfinished projects, etc on to me. What a treasure!

:knitI just finished my first knitting class two weeks ago. Needless to say I haven't finished an item yet. I'm working on a shawl for my grandmother.

:yarnHonestly, I don't know which style of knitting I practice. I hold the yarn in my right hand whereas for crochet I hold it in my left. :rose

This is just great. A place to talk about knitting and help anyone who needs it. This is such a great group, that it is nice to prove that knitters and crocheters can get along just fine.

Thank you Amy and Donna for adding this to the forum.:hook

It's great to see some familiar people here!:hug

I bought the Stich'nBitch Kitting book last week...is the timing for this group right on, or what!?

Anyway, I even have a knitting kit for a pink, fun fur scarf which I bought last October, but never touched.

Is that yarn not the best to start with?

I wouldn't start with fun fur, it's hard to see where the stitches are. Sometimes the "fur" part gets in the way. It would probably be better to start with worsted weight or bulky. I've found fun fur is a little easier to stitch with if you pair it up with regular yarn. . .:yarn

Good luck!

Linda Y

I wouldn't start with fun fur, it's hard to see where the stitches are. Sometimes the "fur" part gets in the way. It would probably be better to start with worsted weight or bulky. I've found fun fur is a little easier to stitch with if you pair it up with regular yarn. . .:yarn

Good luck!

Linda Y

Thanks, Linda - I thought that might be the case...I'll raid my stash for some "practice yarn"!

HI, I think i have learned to knit a couple years ago but just got back into it. I think I know how to knit both ways. I sit and knit with two ladies who join me at a star bucks we have a meeting every now and then that's my little social gathering group. I dont know why I want to knit socks lol. i was wondering if anyone knows how to knit one sock on one circular needle.

Twinnish, check out the knittinghelp.com videos. She shows you how to knit continental with the yarn in your left hand, which just feels so right. Yarn was meant to be in your left hand.

Thanks Patty, I'll give Continental a try. Those videos are great! I agree that I'm so used to holding the yarn in my left hand that it makes sense to do that way while knitting.

I learned to knit before I picked crocheting back up!! I'm so obsessed with crocheting I haven't touched my needles in months.

Maybe we could do a KAL for an easy beginner project.....:think

I am the reverse, once I learned to knit, I haven't crocheted that much LOL

Archived