Prayer shawls

crochet_hen

Finally finished! I had a bin of unfinished prayer shawls that I buckled down to get done. Just in time...I got a call that a friend is having breast cancer surgery in MO and another in FL radiation treatment for a cancer that has reoccurred, so they will be mailed out today. I like to always have a shawl ready to go. It is just so easy to see another great project and set things aside. I am determined to get through all my WIP bins and start fresh this summer!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/crochet_hen/prayershawls.jpg

the middle shawl is the lion brand and I used a combination of thin ribbon and yarn for the fringe. Since that yarn tends to fray, I had to knot the end of every strand. I may just go with ribbon fringe the next time!

Those are wonderful. My church does the prayer shawl ministry and just put a plea out that they needed more shawls or people to donate yarn for the committee to use to make more (otherwise the money to buy the yarn comes out of their own pockets) It gets pricey. Anyway, I finished one last week and now I'm ready to put the fringe on my 2nd one. You are right..you have to knot all the ends of the fringe. I like your idea of using ribbon yarn instead. KUDOS to you!

They are all so pretty!

Don't you just love making these. And knowing the good they may do is really satisfying!!

They are all so pretty!

Don't you just love making these. And knowing the good they may do is really satisfying!!

I really enjoy making these and it is wonderful to have one ready to go when a need arises.

Thank you everyone for such nice comments.

I just got into doing Prayer Shawls through the hospital my sister works at. I sent three the other day and they gave out one the first hour.......I have lots of yarn and just bought more so I will continue to make them and lapghans and donate. I don't mind the cost of the yarn, I usually get it on sale and can make one for 10 to 15 dollars, so I think that isn't to much. I want to make at least one to two a month and donate. Seems like a small price to pay for helping someone. Great thread.....

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for all the nice comments!:) For the shawl on the left I used red heart ww varigated blue and held it together with a strand of baby yarn in a light blue to give it a shimmer

this is a wonderful thing for you to do. i have made one shawl so far. may i ask what yarn was used for the shawl on the left? i like your idea of ribbon fringe, too. thanks.

Archived