Spring Time Mystery CAL for Beg. Threadies

heart

Here's today's instructions....

Day 4

R12 ch1, *2sc into next ch1 sp, 4sc into next ch3 sp*. around. slst to join. equals 60 sc

R13 ch3, dc in each st around. slst to join. equals 60 dc

R14 ch4, dc in same st, *skip 2 sts, "V" in next st* repeat around. slst to join. equals 20 "V" sts

R15 slst into next ch1 sp, ch3, 2dc in same sp. 3dc in next ch1 sp, repeat around. slst to join. Equals 60 dc. Check size/shape onto can again. should still be straight when it is on the can. It doesn't have to be exactly perfect right now. The starch will help that later. Tomorrow the fun begins! I'm posting the last 2 days instructions together, so we will be able to starch a day early.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just did day 3 and I too had trouble with too many V's. I must have done too many sc's in the previous row. Anyway I sorted it and now I have what the pattern says.

Sewnsew yours looks great and I like how you changed colors.

Well Im going to bed now its late. I will do day 4 tomorrow night after work.

night all.

Ok, here is my "can pants" up till today's instructions:

P1010078.jpg

WOOT! Can't wait until tomorrow - my husband wanted to know why we bought liquid starch for the first time in the 13 years we have been married.

:rofl

Says alot about my ironing eh?

Good morning, everyone! Hope we all have a wonderful day! :hook:sun You know, the sun is still out there shining even when we can't see it. Some would say the "Son" is always shining and I would be among those "some" as are "some" of YOU!

Last night, it was close to 1:00 a.m. EDT (not 11:40 pm) when I quit! Just got up. I'll be glad when the computer systems catch up with our new earlier DST! Anyway, when I looked at my 2nd pair of pants this morning, I saw where I did 8 hdc on round 4 and finished off the round with all dc!!! :tired --- :frog'ing, again!

LaDonna, hey! There's another opportunity but I think I'd rather go to Paris, wouldn't you? Although, I love that "Dancing with the Stars!" And I'm pleased to start you off this morning with a laugh!

Addey, it'll work out! When mine don't, it's usually cause I didn't pay close attention, like not reading thoroughly. And you have to tell DH. Just show him!

Donna, I'm going to find my frosting cans and dress them up for the Can Can! Yours look very pretty!

KnicKnac, you're on the ball, aren't you? Looks good! And I wanted to ask Sarah (and I may have!), "Do we really have to buy starch? I don't wanna buy starch!...whine, whine, whine. I'm totally against starch!" I mean, why have starch when we have perma press! I remember in the 70s when all the double knits (yuck) came out. Throw away the iron and the ironing board! FREEDOM!!!!

Now, off to work on the medium sized can pants!

:manyheart:hug

hi Jeannie, hope your having fun with redoing the instructions for all the different sizes. Your pretty clever to do that.

Im using a 3.5mm hook and size 5 thread and its pretty loose but hopefully it will work out.

That's why I didn't use the #10 thread and I really didn't want to try 3 strands held together. I was afraid a single strand would be way too loose with a hook large enough to give a size to cover cans! Just don't know if this mystery can be loose or if it needs to be tight. One thing's for sure though. It has gotten rather "loose" in this CAL, huh? :lol

:hug:manyheart

Good morning, everyone! Hope we all have a wonderful day! :hook:sun You know, the sun is still out there shining even when we can't see it. Some would say the "Son" is always shining and I would be among those "some" as are "some" of YOU!

Yes Ma'am! :manyheart

With the "weight"of tomorrows additions...starch is really important.....You may be able to spray starch it half to death...but you mightget flakes...hhhmmm thinking...

You can NOT mix glue (like elmers) and starch b/c it turns into gak (you know like slime kids play with..good science fair project ;) but you may be able to use glue...maby 1 part water to 2 parts white glue...but it IS MESSY, and sticks to everything..and I have no idea how long it takes to dry, I'm thinking a couple of days..so if you are going to use glue, you can cover your surface in a plastic trash bag, and cover your can with plastic wrap, and follow the starching instructions that will be posted...Just remember to make sure if you are using glue, to get ALL the excess out, before re-placing it on your can, if you don't you will have hardened glue covering the "holes". It is as messy as doing paper mache, the way they did it in the 70's, (haha, I know today we have already-made-in-a-jar-paper mache :D) We do it the 1970's way! (I make Pin~atas for birthday parties!) This way is very, very messy and that makes it harder to be sucessful. My husbands mother used to make a mixture of sugar water and stiffen her items with that, I would NOT recommend this..it can cause ants, but it does work if you have the solution down right, I don't know how to do it that way. She has been passed away over 8 years. Just longer than we've been married. So I don't have any idea who to ask about this way.

(I'm to sleepy to explain right now, the boys have been a little sick, I think it is just allergies combined with the weather flip flopping so much from cold to warm...:(

Sarah, sorry about the boys! Hope they're both feeling better and that neither of them was so sick they had to stay home from school...or is it Spring Break yet? I think ours starts with Good Friday.

:manyheart:hug

I bought starch!

;) You saved yourself a big headache! It's fun to "get messy" with the glue, but the starch gives a more professional look. And the boys are doing great, Jacob did go to school, Ethan is home. They've just been a little needy, they always want "mama" when they are sick. :D As they say when they are mad or upset...Ma_MMMa! hehehe

After moving to SC, my now 7 yo, doesn't say mommy, it's mama, so now my 4 year old has also been doing this. It started about 2 years ago, when Jacob started school...:D It's really cute. Most of our family lives in Ohio, they laugh and really think it is sweet to hear how they sound.

I lived in SC in high school as a senior and graduated here, then moved back to Ohio, and met my husband, and my life began, Now, I'm back in SC! I am in love with SC. It is my true home, a blessing and a gift from God. My husband had never left Ohio, then after we were married, we moved to NC for a few years, and then moved here, and He has had the time of his life ever since. :D

Did it again on round 5! Forgot to work in BLO! That's the 3rd time! I am sooo "loopy" and absent minded!

:think:eek:oops:ohdear:thumbdown:worried:loser

:embar:embar:embar:embar:embar

BTW, making the medium size in the Senso (I 1st typed "Denso"--hee hee) Cotton Microfibre. Still don't know if it will starch.

(I 1st typed "Denso"--hee hee) Cotton Microfibre. Still don't know if it will starch.

:lol :lol You are funny! I think it will starch, it has cotton in it. I will be back on after while. Big E :D wants to go out to play. It's sun-shiny here.

and Son Shiny too :manyheart

heart and Jeannie thanks for the compliments. The frosting can was the only thing I could find that would fit. You can't see it but the smaller one is covering my girls' allergy medicine :blush:lol I've got the starch waiting it's the first time I've ever bought the liquid stuff. I'm off to work on today's stitches now.

I think you're right about row 8. I was half awake this morning when trying it, so I probably just didn't count. I'll frog back to there and try again and add todays to it. I meant to bring it with me to work, but got sidetracked and was running late out the door. I haven't found a can yet, but I noticed that todays did pull it a bit tigter. I'm guessing the parmisan cheese container will work. And it's plastic so starch or glue mixture will come off easy.

As far as glue vs. starch, I have use a very weak glue mixture on some non-crochet things and it works great, you just want to get it thin enough that it doesn't clog the holes.

I think I'll do yesterday's in white and then switch back to the teal for today. That'll look prety good.

I like seeing everyone's progress. I'll try and post mine soon.

I'm guessing the parmisan cheese container will work. And it's plastic so starch or glue mixture will come off easy.

I think I'll do yesterday's in white and then switch back to the teal for today. That'll look prety good.

I like seeing everyone's progress. I'll try and post mine soon.

Hey Addey! Always so frustrating when I wanted to take something to work and went off without it!

Your work sounds great! I wish I had some teal...I love that color! Waiting to see your pics when they're ready! I like seeing the progress, too.

About the starching/stiffening, I've heard it's always good to cover whatever form you use with plastic wrap. Just a thought! Maybe your container won't need anything.

I have a question about R12 which is "ch1, *2sc into next ch1 sp, 4sc into next ch3 sp*. around. slst to join. equals 60 sc".

My 1st ch1 sp is pretty far away from the beginning round. If I read what I did in the previous row: "R11 slst into the next ch1 sp, ch4, dc in same sp, ch3, *"V" in next ch1 sp, ch3* around"...

When working that round I didn't make a ch1 until the 1st "V" stitch, which is 9 sts away from the beginning of the round.

When I did round 12 I ended up with 56 sc's instead of 60, which means that there's a missing V st, but I do count 10 on round 11. I hope I'm making sense.

Could it be that the 1st sc into the next ch1 sp should go into the 1st ch4 sp? Or did I do something wrong, possibly in round 11.

I can't get a decent picture to save my life! But anyway - here's mine. It's a miniature of whatever it's going to be..done with yellow #10 royale thread and a strand of some Singer Rayon Sewing Thread..of which I ran out of near the top. :)

th_IMAG0092.jpg

Brenda, do you have these corrected instructions for round 10?

ch4, dc in same st. ch2, skip 2 sts, sc in the next st, ch2, skip 2 sts,

*“V" in the next st, ch2, skip 2 sts, sc in the next st, ch2, skip 2, ch2*

(this is the pattern repeat)...originally, the last ch2 was outside the repeat asterisk.

So, repeat that around and sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch 4 to join. Equals 10 "V" sts, 20 ch2 sps, 10 sc

Will that correct the problem?

Brenda, I'm sorry I'm kind of tired right now and have a little bit of a headache and I can't picture what you're describing. I hope that it's just round 10 that's the problem. I know you don't, though, cause that means frogging 2 rounds. I'll look at mine again and the instructions and can wait for a little while to hear from you.

I have my monster rose one done. I tried working on my purple one, but I can't get past one of the rows...I can't count today. So I am done with the thread for the day.

Since I can't count today, I decided to work on my DD's 3 strander...simple DC. I got 12 rows done. That is the good news. The bad news is that 10 rows back, I missed a stitch at the end of the row, so all rows following that are narrower. I have folded that one up and will frog those 10 rows tomorrow. And I was almost done with it.

I am now working on my round ripple. I wonder if I can do this without any mistakes :think

Suzy, on your pics, are you zooming in? If so, just try taking the pic w/o zooming but get close. Be sure to keep still!

Oh, Mel! Don't you just hate it when that happens? I'm so sorry, Sweetie! And after all that work...that's a real bummer!

Hey, I'm curious! Would you be so kind as to explain the Yarn Addict Score? Maybe I can start one of those! I need to.

Brenda, did you get yours worked out? I hope so!

Looks like there hasn't been much activity since I laid down w/a headache about 2 hrs ago. Try that, Mel! Maybe it'll help! I hope you don't have to do anymore frogging!

So since little is going on here I'll tell you my dream while I was napping. I was with my mother (who passed away in 1983) and my 10yo granddaughter (what's abbreviation for that?) in Tallahassee FL where my sister, DH and 2 married DDs live with their families. My marvelously lovely DS and my wonderful DBIL were renewing their vows with a full blown wedding...they'll be married 45 yrs in June (just realized that) and as far as I know there is no plan for renewing vows! Seems you'd do that at 50 yrs. anyway. Anyway, as dreams will go, it had it's weirdness! It was kind of nice having my mother and granddaughter in the same dream together!

OK, there's everyone's bedtime story. You're lucky I didn't tell you the whole thing about my having a nap and getting woke up to go to the wedding and getting the wrong shoes with the wrong blouse and not having the right pantyhose. And my DS's argument with my DD's ex MIL...definitely didn't belong in the same dream together! And my BIL walking off after greeting me and leaving his wallet behind. Lucky for him I found it! :rofl

Well, I managed to get yesterday's and today's rows done. I had messed up on row 8. I compensated in row 9. I frogot until I was done that I was going to change to white for a couple of rows, so it's all teal.

Amazingly enough, by today it's tightened up quite a bit. Yesterday I could easilly fit a finger between the can and the can pants. Now it's a little loose on the coke can and a little snug on the cheese container. We'll see how it all ends up. I'll probably decide at crunch time which one to use as my 'mold'.

OK, picture time!:

th_mystery1.jpgth_mystery2.jpg

Archived