Spring Time Mystery CAL for Beg. Threadies

heart

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've finished the 1st days surprise after frogging several times (newbie thread crocheter :) ). But mine is a little wavy. It doesn't lay flat. My gauge was at little loose though. If it's wavy does that mean that I'm crocheting too tight, or is that normal at this point (considering that it's not blocked yet)? Brenda

Mine does lay flat, but just like Aussie said, it may lay flat when you gently press it with your fingers. If it is really "ruffly" you tension may be loose, you can try a smaller hook. If it is Curling up, as if to close with no ruffles, you tension may be to tight.

It it is just a little wavy, go ahead and try this next few rows and see if it works out before you frog it again. Post back with your progress and we will be glad to help you.

I always try to not be to tight, and not be to loose..and not to think about it to much. I don't like to stress..cause then I mess up and get frustrated. I just say a little prayer and have fun. hope I've helped you this morning.:manyheart

Welcome Jackie! Glad you are joining in! :U

Day 2

R5 **Into BACK LOOPS ONLY** ch4 (counts as dc, ch1) dc in same st, skip 2 sts, {dc, ch1, dc} (makes a "V" st.) in next st, *skip 2 sts, "V" in next st*, around, slst to 3rd ch of begenning ch4. to join. equals 21 "V" sts. *This row will begin to stand up, not lay flat**

R6 slst into next ch1 sp, ch3, 2dc in same sp, *3dc in next ch1 sp* around, slst to join. equals 21 "sets" of 3dc.

R7 slst into next dc, ch4, dc in same sp, * skip 2 sts, "V" in next st.* around. slst to join. equals 21 "V" sts. ( "V" is dc, ch1, dc)

R8 slst into next ch1 sp, ch3, dc in same sp, 3dc into the next 5 ch1 sps, 2dc into the next ch1 sp, 3dc into the next 5 ch1 sps, 2dc into the next ch1 sp, 3dc into the next 8 ch1 sps. slst to join. equals 60 dc.

Ok, now for the suprise element, a pop can, or a soda can..regular 12 oz pepsi or coke can. see if you can snuggly fit your project over the bottom of the can, if so, your tension is good! (It will slip off when picked up, this is ok, b/c it is not a cozy, the can is just a molding form) If it is a little loose but still touches the sides all the way around with no gaps, you are good too. If it feels really tight, but will still go on the can, you are still good, it will stretch some. However, if you crochet loose and it looks way to big on the can, if you can find something with straight sides that it will fit, like a soup can/vegetable can, cup (as long as from the bottom, the sides go straight up and don't slant out) you can keep going, if not, you can frog thru row 5, then try a size "C" hook. (That way you don't have to frog your whole project)

Ok, every other project with yarn, I crochet WAY TOO TIGHT!

THREAD??? I had to get a FAT Armour Corned Beed Hash can to be able to fit! LOL

Oh my...I gotta get a handle on this!!! :rofl

Hear, how far up is it going? My can is only 3 1/4 inches tall, but I do have two if necessary.

Ok, every other project with yarn, I crochet WAY TOO TIGHT!

THREAD??? I had to get a FAT Armour Corned Beed Hash can to be able to fit! LOL

Oh my...I gotta get a handle on this!!! :rofl

Hear, how far up is it going? My can is only 3 1/4 inches tall, but I do have two if necessary.

I'm having the same problem. On my first one (I'm doing 2 since I can't decide which colors I want to use), I don't have a can big enough for this thing :eek. On my second one, I used a size C hook for today's rounds, and I have to use a chunky soup can.

I have enough colors, so instead of frogging the first one, I will start another one using a C Hook from the beginning so I can try to get a handle on this. I will keep the first one and keep working on it too, then find a can to make this one work. After all my hard work and this being my second attempt at thread, I won't let it beat me. :hook

I'm going to end up with 3 of these :rofl

I just finished making my third one. I am using #3 thread and a C hook. It is still too big for the soda/pop can. If I crochet this any tighter, I won't be able to get the hook in the loops. I had a hard time getting the hook in the loops on this one.

Any suggestions (other than using bigger cans)? :think

Okay, I'm on Row 7 and a can of beans is fitting perfect. My question pertains to this row: R7 slst into next dc, ch4, dc in same sp, * skip 2 sts, "V" in next st.* around. slst to join. equals 21 "V" sts. ( "V" is dc, ch1, dc). The 2 sts that I'm skipping are they the last dc in the group of 3 and the ch1? If so, then the next "V" stitch is started in the 1st dc right after the ch1. Is that correct? Brenda

Yes, the next V is started in the first dc. the begenning ch4, dc in same space is the first V st. I think I've answered your question, if not let me know. As long as you end up with the 21 V sts, you are good.

Oops, I did row 5 in both loops, duh! It turned up anyway though just like you said it would. Imafrogger!

hehe! Ok, with out giving it away, you really need those loops free on row 5.........:yes

Reading thru the posts, I must crochet tightly. :eek I love this it is so fun! I already have almost two, so I will have 3 or 4 probably...that's good...I'm a Sunday school teacher and many of these will be perfect!

Just to let you know...there are about 16 rows..and 2 parts, and the first part is about 4" (with my tight gauge :devil and the second part is about 9" and then 4"...lol...Riddle me this! :rofl :rofl Confused yet? hehehe! :manyheart Ok, now I will finish reading the posts..oh yeah, it is NOT repetitive. So this "look" doesn't continue!:think:eek:lol :yay

After all my hard work and this being my second attempt at thread, I won't let it beat me. :hook

I'm going to end up with 3 of these :rofl

Good for you! I hope this is fun and easy (after getting a feel for it) Just something unexpected and short so it is a good "inbetween" project for your bigger, more time taking projects. I like the little happy feelings of accomplishment after doing something that works up fairly quickly. :hook:manyheart

I now have 4 in the works!! I have 3 in #3 thread (rose, plum and tangerine, and I have accent colors for each of these), and I decided to try this in #5 thread (white). I used a D hook with the #5 (the size recommended on the thread label), and it is still a tad loose on the soda/pop can :think

I am not frogging any of these...I will just find cans that fit them :lol

I just finished making my third one. I am using #3 thread and a C hook. It is still too big for the soda/pop can. If I crochet this any tighter, I won't be able to get the hook in the loops. I had a hard time getting the hook in the loops on this one.

Any suggestions (other than using bigger cans)? :think

You can decrese your stitches, I haven't gone thur the pattern to do this yet, but if you start with R1 with 18 total dc, (instead of 21) (b/c the row is divisable by 3 in the begenning) then follow the pattern as it says, it should take out some of the width...But keep in mind, the stitch count per each row will decrease too. I'll have to try this out after while to see if it works, since each row repeats the pattern itself, it should work out, but trial is better than guessing. Tomorrows instructions do have a decrease in the sts. To an even stitch count. This also helps it to keep shape.

I was actually thinking about trying that. But if I do that, I will need to frog one of these, and I don't really want to do that if I don't have to. They are so pretty. I'm trying to get some pics taken, but my camera is not being very cooperative at the moment :thair

Finished todays sts :woo Can someone take a picture of theirs to share? I'm new to that and haven't done it yet. Can't wait for tomorrows instructions...maybe it will be an incentive to get up early so I don't have to wait until after Church to do it. This is fun! :cat Brenda

Well... I saw this thread (hehe) yesterday afternoon and picked up some Teal number 3 thread on the way home. I've actually managed to get through both days so far. Really pretty. I can't wait to see what this turns into. I also have a gauge issue. I'll have to find something at the store that'll do, because I've got about a good finger's width between the thingy and any can or glass I have in the house (and I was afraid I was going way too tight...)

Although... if I just go by the bottom (up to row 5) it fits nicely, it's just the side parts that seem to be too big... I'll wait and see what tomorrow brings before I frog anything.

I'll post a photo after while, my boys want to go outside and play right now.

I have a can that may be just right..a Hunt's spagetti sauce can. It is tall and a bit thicker than a soup can. It is also the size of a Bush's baked beans can, the taller one. Mine really does fit a pop can. Photo coming soon...;)

This doesn't show it very well, but I just had to post this. This is my first one, and it is the monster one. It fits real well on the thread :lol I'm in the process of taking more.

th_springthreadcal1.jpg

clickable

Archived