Repetitive stress injury

I have not been able to crochet for over a month now, I have repetitive stress injury, aka sore thumb, from way to much crocheting. I take Ibprofin , ice it, and wear brace, this is all one can do, less surgery and that is something I do not want. I had started making the Brides thread wedding purse ( from the Encyclopedia of Crochet) and got only one side done, it hurts to much to continue. Any one else have this, I am so bored and sad, it has really altered my life . I want to crochet!!!!!:angry:eek:(

I don't have repetive stress injury, but I do have carpal tunnel caused from a job years ago of keying in medical claims. Crocheting for long periods of time can cause the pain to come back--all the way from my wrist to my fingertips, which I'm hoping doesn't end up causing major problems in the long run. I can't imagine not being able to crochet when I want to.

I do wrist exercises sometimes, but I don't think that would help your thumb much. I love that Wedding Purse pattern; hope you're able to complete it soon!

Do you have a thumb brace? I had the same problem and at first I was wearing a wrist brace but I found a thumb brace and that worked much better. It can take a long time to heal. Also, it helps if you take motrin, even if there is no pain as this reduces the swelling. Sorry you are having problems.

Yes, I wear the thumb brace, and yes I know it will take some time for it to heal if it ever does, it just upset me that I can not crochet, it is just to painful I just pray I will be able to finish the brides purse, thank goodness I have until the end of May, but it has been a month already and it does not feel any better. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I wear the thumb brace, and yes I know it will take some time for it to heal if it ever does, it just upset me that I can not crochet, it is just to painful I just pray I will be able to finish the brides purse, thank goodness I have until the end of May, but it has been a month already and it does not feel any better. Thanks for the reply.
I had thumb problems last year. Ended up with tendon damage that caused it to pop and hurt. I didn't have trigger finger I had a trigger thumb. Crochet was difficult and uncomfortable, sometimes impossible.

What finally gave me relief and allowed it to heal was a cortisonne shot into that joint. I was beginning to wonder if I could ever crochet comfortably again. It only took a day or two before I could start using it in a normal manner. I have my thumb brace that I use if I am going to do an activity that might strain it again or if It starts to feel tired.But I rarely need it now.

But I now crochet like a little fiend and enjoy every minute of it. I also appreciate being able to a whole lot more.

I was so glad to find a solution the was non invasive. I also have carpal tunnel and have managed it without surgery. We take our hands for granted until we don't have the use of them.

Hope you can find a solution soon.

Yes, If I went to the Doctor, cortiszone would be the first thing they would do. I am trying to save money, and we just increased our med deductible, so I would have to pay for this out of pocket, I know it sounds crazy that I just do not do it, but I think we all know as women, when money gets tight, we do not think about our selves. I know I sure don't. And the shot may not work, it has not of others. So I hate to spend money on nothing, this is all new happy to me, I just may have to spend the money, cause I hate not crocheting, and hate the limitation I have with it. Like hearing others tell me what they have done. Thanks for your input.

I am currently in the same boat as you beach

Hey thats a cute pun :devil

I have tried staying away from crocheting and have been very bored also

I thought it was okay yesterday and tried I think I pushed it and I am right back to the same spot

I have been doing the Ibprofen as well Capzasin rubbed on the sore areas

I will look into the thumb brace because all I have are the wrist braces

I will head out tomorrow for the hunt

I wish you all the best and hope that you will be able to be back at crocheting soon

PS I noticed that holding a paperback also irritates it as well as a lot of typing. :yes

i have the repetitive injury where the sheath over the tendon has been damaged in my left thumb. and have carpal tunnel (from the mouse) in my right--crochet actually helps ease the carpal tunnel by moving the hand around, but aggravates the thumb....

When I got my first desk/computer job, AND I had a computer gaming addiction at home :lol, I started getting problems in my hand. I never saw anyone about it but began to do hand stretching frequently so the hand was not in the same repetative position all the time, and it made a lot of difference. I found some hand exercises online that really helped, plus squeezing one of those squishy balls was helpful to stretch out other hand muscles. Especially (for me) something like the ergoBeads StressBall <-- linked there. I use one of their fabric/beanie wrist supports under my mouse too, both at home and work, and not having pressure on the wrist actually seems to make it feel tons better too.

Well, that may be a bit off topic from the thumb, but somewhat related, at least! Felt like rambling :blush

Ok, this is way out there, but I read a story about a lady that lost some fingers in a factory accident and taught herself to crochet left handed. I know how painful it can be because I suffer from accute carpal tunnel that is now so bad it involves my arm, shoulder, neck and upper back. But wouldn't it be nice if we could teach ourselves to be ambadextrious crochetters? Then we could crochet with one hand until we were tired and then switch to the other hand! It would definately cut down on the wear and tear to our crochet thumb because we would have two!! ;)

I wish I had some words of wisdom and I will say a prayer for a speedy recovery so that you can get back to crochetting!!:yes

Have you tried massaging it? I mean really deep - get into the muscles and really work out the knots. You can also get someone to roll a rolling pin up and down your forearms - lightly to start with and then as the muscles loosen up - you can get deeper pressure. A goodmassage therapist with a paraffin bath can make a huge difference - and they can teach you hand excersises so it does not happen again.

Ok, I was chatting with another crochet buddy on-line and mentioned this thread and she suggested crochetting with an afghan hook? She has the repetitive injury to her thumb and she noticed that when she used an afghan hook, it didn't bother her as much and there was less stress on her thumb because the hook was longer so held it in her whole hand. She did say it was hard to get used to. Maybe this can help? I learned something new, I didn't know what an afghan hook was!:lol Good luck and I hope you are able to get back to crochetting soon!!

• 2 months later...

Maybe changing the hook from time to time might help? I noticed that I hold each kind of hook a little differently.

I had pains in my thumb until I started to use the soft touch (flat) hooks because I used too much pressure on the hook. I used band aid on one of my hooks too before I found out about the flat hooks.

Someone suggested trying a pencil grip. Works better if you hold the hook like a pen.

These are all great ideas. My Dad has had 8 back surgeries and the ONLY way he finds relief is from cortizone shots. My mom finally had one in her knee and it made an incredible difference.

As women we usually put ourselves last but if we don't take care of our bodies and our sanity who's going to take care of it for us.

I completely understand the $$$ issues but if nothing else is working - cortizone is an EXCELLENT alternative to surgery. And t's alt cheaper.

You said that thread was hurting you. Does it also do this with uarn?

If you have a problem with your thumb/wrist from clicking the mouse too much, you might want to try a wrist pad. This is not like the pad you would use in front of the keyboard, but it is a small dogbone shaped pad filled with pellets that you rest your wrist on while you're clicking away. I used to get lots of pain in my wrist, but I find this has helped me. It's a very inexpensive remedy. Also, Vitamin B6 supplements can help carpal tunnel symptoms. Start out with 50 mg. a day (never take more than 100 mg.). It may take up to a month to see some improvement. Of course always tell your doctor that you are taking it. I had surgery for 3 trigger fingers on my rt. hand 12 yrs. ago, and have arthritis, carpal tunnel etc. I have been taking the B6 for 25 yrs. and sleep with hand splints. My hands are not the greatest, but O keep them going.

If you have a problem with your thumb/wrist from clicking the mouse too much, you might want to try a wrist pad. This is not like the pad you would use in front of the keyboard, but it is a small dogbone shaped pad filled with pellets that you rest your wrist on while you're clicking away. I used to get lots of pain in my wrist, but I find this has helped me. It's a very inexpensive remedy. Also, Vitamin B6 supplements can help carpal tunnel symptoms. Start out with 50 mg. a day (never take more than 100 mg.). It may take up to a month to see some improvement. Of course always tell your doctor that you are taking it. I had surgery for 3 trigger fingers on my rt. hand 12 yrs. ago, and have arthritis, carpal tunnel etc. I have been taking the B6 for 25 yrs. and sleep with hand splints. My hands are not the greatest, but I keep them going.

You probably have De Quervain's Tenosynovitis. I know, weird name but is simply tendonitis at the wrist/base of thumb. I hope this is allowed...these are some hand exercises speciifically for this type of injury. http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_dequerva_rex.htm Thumb "abducted" wrist splint is best as you already know (where the thumb is kept still).

I deal with this all the time, pain is off & on & when it gets really bad I get a cortisone shot. I hate to know anyone else suffers in pain of it. You should see an ortho Dr. if you have not been crocheting for a while & it is still painful to crochet. Many general practitioners cannot give the cort. shot in the tiny tendon that needs the cortisone (even my ortho has gotten it WRONG once & I did not get much relief that time).

Believe me it will make your hand feel so much better a day or so after the shot. Not to mention that you can crochet again without pain (although you still need to take breaks, do hand exercises & wear a softer brace while crocheting).

Please go to the Dr as soon as you can OP. No one should suffer in pain for what they enjoy to do.

i have been blessed with many years of crocheting and now i have to type at work and now had any problems. i am very careful to stop and do flexing exercises and rest my hands. two things i ask God to keep my eyes keen and my fingers flexiable.

I have had the same problem but was able to solve most of it after I mentioned it to the chairopractor that I go to every once in awhile. He doesn't do the typical bone crunching. He uses "acupressure" which I find a lot more effective. Anyway, he did his thing and I watched carefully all of the spots that he applied pressure to and can now do it to myself and solve my problem before it becomes a problem.

I suggest that you make some calls to local chairopractors and find a good one that does acupressure. It works.

I am a right handed crocheter and I have horrible pain at the base of my left thumb which I just assumed was arthritis. I have very small hands and have been unable to find a thumb brace that fits properly. Any suggestions on finding a small brace?

I have ulnar tunnel syndrome which will cause my pinky and ring finger to go numb, fortuntaely it hasn't bothered me too much so far, but we'll see.

There are days where I just have to stop bc my hand is cramped in place from crocheting for so long though.

I am a right handed crocheter and I have horrible pain at the base of my left thumb which I just assumed was arthritis. I have very small hands and have been unable to find a thumb brace that fits properly. Any suggestions on finding a small brace?

Finally found one that fits!!! Now let's hope it works!

• 4 months later...

i have carpul tunell from working on computers in the irs. i bothers me if i crochet to long but that will never stop me. the only thing that would stop me from crocheting is if i lost my hands. but then again i always have my toes.:haha

Archived