Addi Turbo hooks

Has anyone used the Addi Turbo hooks? I have seen them on yarnmarket, but was not sure if they were worth the money. My sister loves to crochet but her arthritis does not allow her to use smaller hooks. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good hook for me to get her?

I bought the J and I Addi Turbo Hooks a couple years ago. I used the J hook for two projects and *loved* it...... and then the metal hook part came unglued from the plastic handle part! I emailed the Addi distributor here in the US, and they mailed me another hook promptly. The replacement hasnt fallen apart, but honestly I'm a little gun (hook?) shy to use it now. Maybe I got a bum hook? I dont know. I did like using it though! And I do wish they came in bigger sizes (K, N, P).

I have an Addi Turbo hook, that I ordered from YarnMarket.com, at much cost to the establishment. The postage cost me $30! (I'm in Australia)

The hook is wonderful to use. I have problems with my wrists and hands and it helped a lot.

Although mine too has broken after relatively little use. The plastic part has cracked up near the metal part, and though I've glued it, it still wobbles a bit.

My advice is they're a great hook, but I don't think they can cope with the weight of a large afghan.

Mine cracked in the same place :yes They replaced it, but like I said, I'm hesitant to use it now because I'm afraid it will do the same thing again. I used it for two projects, both scarves!

I have an Addi Turbo hook, that I ordered from YarnMarket.com, at much cost to the establishment. The postage cost me $30! (I'm in Australia)

The hook is wonderful to use. I have problems with my wrists and hands and it helped a lot.

Although mine too has broken after relatively little use. The plastic part has cracked up near the metal part, and though I've glued it, it still wobbles a bit.

My advice is they're a great hook, but I don't think they can cope with the weight of a large afghan.

Has anyone used the Addi Turbo hooks? I have seen them on yarnmarket, but was not sure if they were worth the money. My sister loves to crochet but her arthritis does not allow her to use smaller hooks. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good hook for me to get her?

It would be a lot cheaper to use regular crochet hooks with those foam hook covers that you can find in most craft places (Michaels, AC Moore, Joann's, etc.) or at your LYS. That's what I do, and it works out well.

I got a few Addi Turbo hooks as presents, but I'm not wild about the nickel plating...it actually drags on some yarns (ditto for the addi circulars).

My mom bought me a bunch of them a few years back. She's a knitter and loves thieir knitting needles so she thought the hooks might be nice for me.

I did have the same problem with my favorite hook coming undone, but it was replaced. Then about a year or so latter, I broke the hook. Litterly snapped it in half. (I broke the plastic piece that the colored cover slips onto. ) Of course, I was working in way to tight of a gauge. But, it didn't matter, Addie sent me another replacement hook. The new one hasn't broken.

Even though I've had problems with the hooks, I won't do anything bigger than a scarf with any other brand of hooks. I've tried the hook pad things from Jo-Anns, and the Soft touch hooks. Neither of them worked for me. The soft touch hooks are ok. The handle was really nice, but I didn't like the hook head. It didn't glide though the project like the addie hooks does. The addie hooks just work so well, and are easy on my wrists. ( I have very weak writs, and so I can't crochet much if I'm not useing the right hook.)

Personally, I'm not familiar with the Addi hooks. But I have severe arthritis in my hands. I wasn't crocheting at all for over four years. But the wonderful folks here at the 'Ville pointed me toward the Clover Soft Touch hooks! Now I'm crocheting up a storm :clap

Just another alternative to think about :hook

I'm glad I found this thread. I notice when I crochet I can only do a little bit at a time before I have to put it down and shake my hands out. Sounds like I'm going to have to invest in the Clover Soft Touch hooks. Are they easily found or do you have to order online? If online would you mind suggesting a place please? Thanks.

• 7 months later...

Clover Soft Touch Hooks are available in JoAnn's and Michael's - use those coupons! I love them. I recently bought an Adi Turbo, but haven't tried it yet. I really like the Profi hooks for thread work - they have a very comfortable handle.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got one size "F" used to make dread tams last year. No complaints; however, after reading about plastic snapping coupled with the price of the Addis I will most probably not purchase another, not new anyway. I'm an e-Bay queen and love deals, so could buy used or off priced though.

I'm not familiar with the hooks you guys are talking about but I noticed in the Crochetville Marketplace there's an ad for an "egg" style hook with six interchangeable sizes. It looks like the 'handle' part is wood and the hook attachments are some sort of metal and it advertises as being ergonomic.

Also I saw this yesterday at Michael's: Prove Craft Crochet Tool and someone has posted on Crochetville about these before.

you might also want to try the ergonomic hooks sold by provo

I know of an elderly friend of my grandma's who swears by them and she has terrible arthritis...she also likes homemade wooden hooks that have larger (handles) so jimbo might be another place to check out.

• 3 weeks later...
I bought the J and I Addi Turbo Hooks a couple years ago. I used the J hook for two projects and *loved* it...... and then the metal hook part came unglued from the plastic handle part! I emailed the Addi distributor here in the US, and they mailed me another hook promptly. The replacement hasnt fallen apart, but honestly I'm a little gun (hook?) shy to use it now. Maybe I got a bum hook? I dont know. I did like using it though! And I do wish they came in bigger sizes (K, N, P).

I have a G, H J hook and each of them has come apart. I just stick them back in and keep on going. I really like the feel of them but the fact that they come apart is a pain. I do know that my LYS owner has stopped carrying them because so many people were having trouble with them

• 2 years later...

WHY didn't I think to look here before I ordered not one but two Addi Turbo Hooks? :eek I thought they were some brand new item and I was getting them before everyone else. I'm not feeling so smug now. Let's hope they have improved in the last two years.

I bought one a few months ago and have used it very little, and the last time I picked it up I saw where the plastic had split. It's very disappointing because it's a wonderful hook that is FAST. I'm debating about whether to try a different one.

Archived