Post # 158, 112, 84, 58, 33 Mystery CAL for Beginning Threadies...

heart

Instructions will also be added in this first post, just to be easier to find. See post # 158, 112, 84, 58, 33 for the daily instructions...

This started because of a request from a dear friend, Lea..minwifeof4boys. This will be a fun, encouraging, and hopefully easy learning experience. You already know how to crochet, so you are half way there. If you can make a granny square, you can do this. ( I do understand some can't do thread b/c of pain in hands/arthritis, just trying to encourage those who want to try) After a few days, you may think you know what it is, but just wait and see!

A few tips...

Anyone who wants to give this a try is welcome.

Threadies, please feel free to jump in and offer helpful advice.

The instructions are exactly the same as with yarn.

The most important thing is your tension...the more you practice, the better you feel about it. If you can't get your hook back through a chain stitch, it is to tight. Either loosen your tension, or go up 1 size in your hook.

We will be starting Sunday Feb. 18 or Monday Feb. 19...(I'm still working on the pattern), and will run about a week. This is just for fun, to get you comfortable with thread, and to provide a helpful atmosphere while making something neat. So those of you who want to try...hope to see you here!

We will be starting off with a thicker thread.

Supplies needed are:

# 3 thread

"D" hook

suprise element, if you want, or not....

If you are enthusiastic, you can try a # 10 thread and a # 7 hook...just keep in mind, your project will be smaller, and my test model is in # 3 with a "D" hook. I'll post 3 rows per day. I'm not promising you will feel comfortable with thread overnight, just want you to feel inspired to try, and help if I can. ;)

Happy Crocheting!

Day 1

ch 6, slst to join into a ring

R1 ch3 (counts as first dc) 2dc, ch1, into ring { 3dc, ch1,} 5 times. slst into beg. ch3 to end this row. for a total of 6 ch1 sps. and 18 dc.

R2 slst into top of second dc (middle of the 3dc group) ch4, slst into ch1 sp, ch4, slst into middle dc of next group around. equals 12, ch4, loops (kind of looks like a flower at this stage)

R3 slst to middle of next ch4 loop, ch4, (counts as dc, ch1) dc into the same loop, ch2, {dc, ch1, dc, ch2 into the next loop, repeat around} slst into the 3rd ch of the beg. ch4 to end this row. equals 24 dc, 12 ch1, sps, and 12, ch2 sps. You should have a flat circle shape.

Day 2

R4 slst into the next ch1 sp. ch3, 2dc into the same sp (counts as 3 dc) ch3, {3dc, ch3 into the next ch1 sp around} slst into the top of the beg. ch3 to end this row. skipping all the ch2 sps. equals 36 dc and 12, ch3 sps.

R5 slst into next dc, ch3, 2dc in same sp, ch3, sc into ch3 sp from prev. row, ch3, {skip dc, 3dc into next dc, ch3, skip next dc, sc in ch3 sp on prev. row, ch3} repeat around. slst into top of beg. ch3 to end this row. equals 36 dc, 12 sc, 24 ch3 sps. Take a deep breath! WOW, look at that. Neat huh?

Check and see if it will lay flat now. Lay it flat and smooth out with your hand onto a flat surface, if it lays flat, you're good.

Day 3

This next row is easy, just keep your chains a little loose.

R6 chain 3, (counts as first dc), dc in next 2 sts, ch6, skip all chain stitches on previous row and {1dc into each of the next 3 dc, ch6. repeat around, slst to the top of beg. ch3 to end this row. equals 36 dc, and 12, ch6 loops. (It may look like it is curling up after this row, don't frog yet, lay it flat and smooth it out first, if it still won't lay flat, look at your chains, are they tight? )

R7 ch3, (counts as first dc), dc in same sp, dc in next dc, 2dc in next dc, (equals 5dc), ch3, sc in ch6 loop from prev. row, ch3, {2dc in next dc, dc in next dc, 2dc in next dc, (5dc) ch3, sc in ch6 loop from prev. row, ch3} repeat around, slst into the top of the beg. ch3 to end this row. equals 60dc, 12sc, 24 ch3 sps.

R8 ch4, (counts as dc, ch1), sk next dc, (dc, ch2, dc, ch1) in next dc, sk next dc, dc, in next dc. ch7, {dc in next dc, ch1, sk next dc, in next dc, put dc, ch2, dc, ch1, sk next dc, dc in next dc, ch7} repeat around, slst to 3rd. chain of beg. ch4 to end this row. equals 12, ch7 sps, 12, ch2 sps, 24 ch1 sps, 48 dc

Day 4

R9 slst over to the ch2 sp. ch3, (counts as first dc) 2dc, ch2, 3c in same sp, {ch4, sc in the ch7 sp, ch4, sk ch1 sp, (3dc, ch2, 3dc) in the ch2 sp}, repeat around and slst to the top of the beg. ch3 to end this row. equals 12 ch2 sps, 12 sc, 24 ch4 sps, and 72 dc

R 10 ch5, sc in ch2 sp, (skipping 2dc) ch5, sk 2dc, sc in last dc, {ch5, sc in ch4 sp, ch5, sc in next ch4 sp, ch5, sc in next dc, ch5, sk 2dc, sc in ch2 sp, ch5, sk 2dc, sc in last dc} repeat around, end with slst into the begenning chain, equals 60, ch5 loops. Fasten off and enjoy a sweet-----------? You can stop here, or make another one and come back tomorrow to find out what is next! (entire project only takes two of these.....for those who are wondering) The second one is always easier because you are familiar with it by then. Iron/block as needed to shape the loops on the edge. Hope to see you tomorrow!

Day 5

Yeah!!! Last day for those of you who want to go farther than the doily! Those of you who used # 10 thread, it is a coaster. Lay the two together, wrong sides together, so that you have the pattern repeats matching, and the 2 right sides facing out. We are counting both corresponding ch5 loops as 1, so when you crochet into 1 space, you will be going through both loops, front and back, at the same time. Keep the 2 doilies in the same position, pin it together a few times if you need to. We will finish it today.

If you have never worked with thread before, I hope you will be pleasantly suprised with our final project!

Attach thread into any 2 (front and back) doily loops, from now on counting the front and back as 1 loop.

ch1, sc in same loop, skip next loop, {into next loop do dc, ch1, 6 times, and dc, so you will have a shell with 7 dc, and 6 ch1 sps. sk next loop sc into the next loop, sk next loop}, continue around in this pattern until you have closed the doilies around, leaving about 11 or 12 loops per side unworked, so you will have an opening. ending with a sc,

Handle...into the next loop do 3dc, chain 3, into the top of the last dc, put 2dc, ch3, into the top of the last dc put 2dc, so you are making a handle, without turning, it will have a small scallop. I like a shorter handle, just big enough to hang over the wrist, maby about 12" long, you can go as long or short as you want. When your handle is long enough for you, end on the other side of the opening {skipping the center 11 or 12 loops per side}, do 3dc into that last loop before the shell starts. slst into the beg. sc of shell border and finish off. You can sew in a liner if you want, just remember it will be seen so put the "pretty side" of the fabric facing out.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll join in - I've done a little work with thread before but I'm still a bit intimidated by some things.

I only have size 10 thread, though. I think I might get some size 3, though.

Yeah!!! This is great! ok, to answer the questions...

Any color you choose will be perfect, maby pick your favorite color...

Those that want to join in but can't right now, the pattern will stay available, so you can always come back and get it.

We have 2 Walmarts close by, and they both carry white, cream, red, rose/mauve, and sometimes a different color or two. It is usually around $1.57 here.

Welcome to everyone, newbies to thread...and Super Advanced Threadies....which I hope to become one day!

Special thanks to Lea!! This was her idea. YAY!!! :U

This should be great! If you can read patterns, (I know some of us just jump in and see what happens..I learned that way, then gradually began with patterns, now I feel pretty good about them! ;) you should be able to do this, there will be help, so question away. I will check back several times each day to see how things are going. We will do about 2-3 rows per day. That way everyone will feel good about what they did, and hopefully not get frustrated. It is fairly simple when broke down into a few rows per day.

So with a little effort and not much time, we will have a big....TA..DA! :D

Glad everyones joining in, and to the threadies, please feel free to offer any help and encouragement you can.

This sounds easy enough for a first time CAL. I just joined Crochetville, and every one of the CAL's sound good to me. But, I think a few rows a day will be something I can handle. And anyway, I love mysteries. I'm heading out to Wal-Mart for thread right now, before all our streets turn to ice again. We had a sleet/ice/snow storm on Valentine's Day that left 8" of frozen something out there, and the temps have been below freezing ever since. It's great weather for a new project. Thanks for coming up with this. Marci

WOW! This is great! I've had an idea, an element of suprise... When the project is finished, you can keep as-is, or continue on to something else! Yay! It only adds 1 more day to the instructions, and the suprise can or can't be added, depending on your personal taste. Shh, or I'll give it away already! We will start around 1pm or so on Sunday! I think I will post photos row by row in the evening after giving the instructions, that way if anyone needs or wants to see, they can for reference. Glad to have you all!

Oh,I'm looking forward to this. I get to learn something new. I have my hook, Now I just have to get to town and get the #3 tread. But I know we have to go over the weekend. So I should be ok.

Archived