"Stripey" Blanket crochet-along

creativepassage

Beautiful Clare! I think the green makes it "pop" visually.

This project has got my imagination moving in overdrive. Some other combinations I've thought of are using a few well placed stripes of fun fur or buly yarn! Mmmmm, maybe I should just stick to making sure I get this one done first :lol

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clare that looks great and the lime green is fine it doesnt stand out that much at all. Does it take long to do a row. At least with doing a different color each row you wont get bored.

Im still debating whether to do one or not. I thought of doing one with one color but all different shades of that color. What does everyone think?

That's turning out so cute!! The lime green doesn't seem that noticeable to me, and I bet it'll bother you less when the blanket's bigger.

Wendy, I think different shades of a single color would be beautiful!

Clare that looks great and the lime green is fine it doesnt stand out that much at all. Does it take long to do a row. At least with doing a different color each row you wont get bored.

Im still debating whether to do one or not. I thought of doing one with one color but all different shades of that color. What does everyone think?

it doesnt take that long to do a row, but mine is only 1m 20cm wide:D not like the original pattern, i didnt think that i would have enough scrap to do the BIG one

no im not getting bored with it coz each row is different :lol

yes i think the one color different shades is a great idea:cheer i am making a blanket for m aunty (different shades of blue) but i started it before i discovered this CAL, bugger i would have loved to do it this way

go on jump in, if you dont want to make a blanket make a scarf!:yay

here is my progress so far:cheer one row of each color that i have:D i have decided not to go with black in between each row:hook

Clare, I think it looks great... I used about 90% of my RH yarn stash colors and got 12 rows... I'm begining the sequence over now...I think I'm going to do black all the way around the blanket when its done so since I started with black I might eliminate it from the sequence and do it as the last row... its been fun so far...

i might join this cal if i may pls. i have done 3 rows, but you know what, i just went to the local store and bought 18 balls 8ply, all different colours. lol am i mad or not? donn't answer. i started with 250 sts but with using our 8ply it will not be as long as the 1 in the pattern, but thats ok. helen aus

Hey its great to see some Aussies in here.

Helenpeta, wow 18 balls are you using them all and in any order. I cant wait to see pics.

Clare that is looking really good. Are you using particular colors or just a bit of everything.

Lea the black around the edge at the end will look great I reckon.

I looked through my stuff and I have a lot of different colors in pink and yellow. So Im debating which color to start. I think I will go with the one color but different shades. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

i might join this cal if i may pls. i have done 3 rows, but you know what, i just went to the local store and bought 18 balls 8ply, all different colours. lol am i mad or not? donn't answer. i started with 250 sts but with using our 8ply it will not be as long as the 1 in the pattern, but thats ok. helen aus

:lol:hook:lol:hook:lol yes you are mad!!!! but thats all good i think half the people in here are, so welcome to the club :hi:hug

ozie ozie ozie oi oi oi!

Hey its great to see some Aussies in here.

Clare that is looking really good. Are you using particular colors or just a bit of everything.

just a bit of every thing :D i just went though my stash and pulled out what i could find....but i am about to do a "shades of blue one" just have to get a couple more balls.....yee haa yarn shopping:cheer

thats what Im going to do. I have a lot of different yellow shades so going to try that. But blue is actually my favorite color so I might go and get some different colors next time I go to Big W.

I cant wait to see what your blue one will look like.

Yes going shopping for yarn is the best isnt it.

Becky and Clare- I love your pictures- Thanks for posting them.

After I shortened my ghan and got back to work on it last night I managed to get to row 4.

I don't have too much of a stash here and cannot exactly get that random look with what I have.

It's bright. Here are theorder of my rows so far-

black- purple- white-tourquiose.

I want to add a bright pink, perhaps a bright yellow but I'll need to buy those.

Oh and I just remember I have a bright orange that I can use.

Like I said bright- Like for a tween-age girl. I happen to have a 9 year old-

I guess that's what I was thinking. Although I'd like to have one for myself for the couch in more mature colors.

Pattern is so easy I can practically do it without looking.

I have a hearing loss and really need to look at the TV when I am watching a show. We use the closed- captioning. So patterns like this are perfect for me.

Quote-

My stitches are bunching up, they wont sit flat. Has anyone had this problem. Im only on the 3rd row.

Slightly. I'm about where you are- Row 3 or 4.

So far all of the yarn that I have used is RH SS and yet some skeins seem to have a different thickness. When I feel that I am starting to stitch too tight for the yarn I try to loosen up. It helps.

Since the stitches are done into the stitch of the row before - this will be a nice thick blanket. Keeping the tension right for me seems important.

I have to say first of all that I am NOT good at juggling lots of projects at one time. I tend to do better with one, then move onto something else when that one is done, BUT ..... I have been eyeing this thread since it started . I could not resist --- what a nice simple pattern to while away the time . I went today and got a bunch of REALLY bright colors to make one of these .

I have one question, to make sure I am doing it properly . I understand you should END each row with the 2 dc in the last stitch --- then it says someplace in the pattern that you have to FLIP the afghan each row .

So correct me if I'm wrong ,but do you always START the new row with the end you just finished, or flip it and start the new row with the BEGINNING of the previous row ? I'm getting a little befuddled and don't wanna keep working on it and doing it wrong for another hundred rows, then see that my afghan has shrunken each row til it is as wide as a washcloth .

Thanks in advance for any help . :)

well I have 4 rows completed, they are all different. The 1st is what I had left of Oasis, the 2nd is Bright Yellow, the 3rd is Homespun in a sky blue color, and row 4 is a deep plum color. This is going to be all kinds of colors that I have just enough of to complete a row, it works quickly though, I'm hoping to finish a few more rows this weekend, but I want to work on the charity projects I have going on. I'll post a pic of my progess tomorrow sometime.

can't wait to see what all of you come up with for this one!

Starting mine tomorrow, this looks like just the pattern I need. I fouknd sevem skeins of Chunky last night, I know they don't make it anymore. Problems solved what to do with it, I have five colors. I was using a K hook, my use up some other chunky yarn I have also I didn't know what to do with. Now it's back to cleaning for dinner guests for tonight. Charlene

[

So correct me if I'm wrong ,but do you always START the new row with the end you just finished, or flip it and start the new row with the BEGINNING of the previous row ? I'm getting a little befuddled and don't wanna keep working on it and doing it wrong for another hundred rows, then see that my afghan has shrunken each row til it is as wide as a washcloth .

Thanks in advance for any help . :)

When you flip you are starting at the stitch you just ended with...I was skeptical of hte V stitch ending but it has really worked out... on thing I did do was to start in the first sttich and not the space in the V.... I'm on row 13 and so far so good... the rows are really maintaining an evenness

ya know i started a scrap one and had 4 rows done when wouldn't you believe it the first row was i think too tight so i'm frogging that whole thing and starting over! I decided to do a TLC Essential blanket in brown pink and white combos with the choc cherry or whatever itis called verigated i'm doing 5 rows of each color the white is sperating them ... hope it works out and looks nice :)

OK... at row 21.... I was stash busting right???? So I did 12 colors with 11 of htem repeating so I could begin and end with black...... weeelllllllllll.....I have maybe 18 inches in width and I am about out of 3 of the colors!!!! Now I COULD go buy the colors... but I think I would have to end up buying most of the colors at this point.... and I'm suppose to be using what I have... so here is an idea.... what if I run another row of black and maybe do a differnt pattern for 24 rows... and then run a row of black and do 24 of another differnt row... do you think going like that would make the blanket too busy???? Gosh I just jumped right in anxious to use my stash and didn't think about how long the blanket was~ sheesh~ I might be begging for yarn before its over!

well Lea, I think that would be great, doing different schemes between the black lines! Mine is not going to be at all organized as of this moment, I'm toying with the idea of every 10th row being white, but that's about it. And I'm not buying any yarn for this project, so if I run out, then this will be a WIP for a while.

but i really think it would look great with black rows separating different color schemes.

Archived