"Stripey" Blanket crochet-along

creativepassage

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! If it's OK with you I'll just work on the one I recently started with guy colors, to use up some of my stash. I have to finish one afgan done in shell stitch first, so will wait to work on the stripey one until after the new year.:yay

Marcie

wow i just realized how much scrap yarn i have going to have to use my gift card that i got for xmas to get some new yarn .......

i started this last night and got 6 rows done watching crossing jordon and csi miami .... its going to be so pretty when its finished....:hook

Really excited about this. Mine will be slow going though.

Two questions I have.

Has anyone started with a chain shorter than the 250 and how long was the result?

Second question- Can the left over ends at the end of the rows become fringe or do they need to be worked in?

I might want fringe.

I love all the ideas folks are comming up with! Black as an accent is a great idea. I also like the idea of fringe. The beauty of this project is it's so simple and you can adapt it to whatever you'd like :D I broke down and started mine last night. I chained 300. (I love big blankies!!) I'm on row 11. It goes pretty fast!

creativepassage i did mine with a chain of 300 stitches also i ahve so many diffrent colors its crazy but i have found that almost all of my yarn is now gone due to the fact that it was all pretty much scrap so after i get off work i am off to buy more yarn.... yeah yarn shopping i love to get things with all the pretty colors... i cant wait...

I've started !!!

I used a J hook to chain 250, and am now using the I hook to go back and do the dc's in the loops of the back ridge to give the afghan a clean edge. This is a trick I learned from The Panda Man. It's slow going and I am working directly under a lamp so I can see these loops.

I used black for the first row and am going to leave the ends as a fringe.

I decided to go with only 3 colors (purple, grey and black) based on what I had available and vary the thickness of the stripes. I am not sure if that still counts as following the pattern but isn't fun to add your own touch.

I am 6 rows in so far. How many rows are people planning to make?

Since one of my new years promises (I can't call them resolutions because I don't think resolution is as strong of a word) is to bust my yarn stash and such, I am in!

1st for the person that asked about the 250 chains, I did 250 and it is about as wide as my queen bed. I am doing a row of black after five rows of colors. My last row my ball of yarn was 12 stitches too short :no. I now know about what size yarn ball I need. It is my night off work will watch a movie and try to get some rows done. I am at row 9.

aww heck ya twisted my arm .. whats one more scrap project LOL!!! cept i'm going to be doing two of them i guess... One in Bernat softee chunkee left over yarn and one in Worsted Weight Scraps alternating black every 5 or so rows like tammy is doing :-D Great minds think alike Aye Tammy LOL!!!

Question about starting row 2.

I am following the tutorial - no problems there but wonder...

If we are going to be doing a V-Stitch at the end of every row- why wouldn't we start row two with a V-stitch?

It looks like the last stitch of row one is just hanging out there.

For those who have moved into 5 plus rows,, does this little irregularity even out and give a straight edge?

It's late- I'm tired- hope I make sense!

Question about starting row 2.

I am following the tutorial - no problems there but wonder...

If we are going to be doing a V-Stitch at the end of every row- why wouldn't we start row two with a V-stitch?

It looks like the last stitch of row one is just hanging out there.

For those who have moved into 5 plus rows,, does this little irregularity even out and give a straight edge?

It's late- I'm tired- hope I make sense!

It does work out... Ithought the same thing but it dioes work....

ok, i am so bad at waiting, and now i need to go to bed, but I am officially actively involved in this CAL. I have completed my first row.I am using a "k" hook, I chained 303, and I did my first row in Oasis a TLC essentials yarn. Now, I am not sure how long it is by measurement, but it goes from the wall my couch is on, to half way across my living room, and is definitely taller than me (i am 5'5"). So, it's definitely something I am now working for width. And I sincerely hope the rows to follow don't take as long as this first one did.

good luck all!

i have seen a blanket simular to this somewhere:think and it put black between all the rows, it looked pretty kool, so i think i will do that:D i have HEAPS of black :yarn :yarn

[/quote

i have decided to not put the black in. just in case it ends up being for a baby:c9 dont think black is for babies:no

It does work out... Ithought the same thing but it dioes work....

Thank you Lea :)

When I finished row 2, I decided to measure the length.

This afghan is too long for me !

J Hook to chain 250 , I hook to crochet is equaling 85 " long :eek

And I wanted to add fringe.

So I am frogging row 2 and shortening the length of row 1 by about 20 inches.

I'll be back!

here is my progress so far:cheer one row of each color that i have:D i have decided not to go with black in between each row:hook

you may be able to see tha the lime green row in the middle is thicker it must be a different ply :angry i have decided to leave that out from now on:yes my bf says that it doesnt stand out that much, but i no it is and its bugging me :yes

its a scrap blanket and i am still being fussy :lol

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

Archived