thread snowflakes CAL

karin4christ

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so I did this snowflake today: http://members.aol.com/JSchlossma/6ptso.html

wasn't able to do 3 like I wanted, kept getting interupted, but this worked up SOOOOOOOOOOOO FAST! I'm going to make at least 10 more of these. Hope to get a few more done this week, I'll start posting pics when I have them starched, but for now I'm working on building up the army, and then I'll have a blocking bonanza!

Here are my latest flakes, I used watered-down glue to stiffen some of these, and cooked-down starch for the others. I think I like the convenience of the glue better than the congealy gloop of the corn starch, and as long as I can get the mix right it works really well.

flakes5.jpg

flakes6.jpg

I'm wondering what everyone is storing their flakes in? I have mine in a box with tissue in between each layer, wondering if anyone has any other or better ideas?

Thanks for looking! :hook

I'm wondering what everyone is storing their flakes in? I have mine in a box with tissue in between each layer, wondering if anyone has any other or better ideas?

Thanks for looking! :hook

I am displaying mine in my classroom until February. I am also giving some away. When I put them away, I will probably put it in a plastic box separating them with tissue paper. I will also get a ziploc bag, poke a few pinholes in it, fill it with cedar, close the ziploc and place it in the box with the snowflakes. It helps keep the bugs out. You can buy cedar bedding or cedar cat litter from any store that sells pet supplies. I don't like the smell of mothballs.

a cotton ball soaked with peppermint oil in a ziploc bag helps, too. it helps keep the "meesies" away. Just gotta be careful not to let the oil leak in the box. (peppermint oil can be bought at a pharmacy.)

My 5th grade club asked me to teach them to make a snowflake. I wrote out a simple pattern. Would you test it for me? You will find that it's written in step form. The kids haven't gotten the hang of reading a proper pattern yet. Thanks!

Miss Melissa’s snowflake

Abbreviations:

DC = Double Crochet

SC = Single Crochet

Sl st = Slip stitch

Ch = chain

Materials

Small amount of white worsted weight yarn.

G or H hook

Chain 4

Round 1:

a. Double Crochet (dc) in the first chain.

b. Chain (ch) 2

c. 2dc in the same chain as the first dc

d. Repeat b and c four more times

e. Ch 1

f. Sc in the top of the ch 4.

(6 pairs of dc and 6 spaces made)

Round 2:

a. Ch 3

b. DC in the same sp

c. Ch 5

d, Slip Stitch (sl st) in the 3rd chain from the hook

e. Ch 2

f. 2 dc crochet in the next ch 2 space

g. Ch 2

h. 2 dc crochet in the same ch 2 space

i. Repeat steps c thru h 5 times

j. Repeat step c thru e once more

k. Sl st in the top of the first ch3 or the round.

l. Fasten off.

Weave in your ends.

©2007 Miss Melissa

Melissa, I am going to assume that the chain 5 (picot) is your step c.

since you changed your bulleting system there

oops. I didn't know it did that. I'll fix it. step c, d, and f are the picot "system." I couldn't think of another way to say it.

Oh yeah, I knew what you meant. Never explain to kids what will not advance your purpose :yes

I also wanted to let you know that you had lost your bulleting before you gave it to the kids

Today was snowflake day but I only got 4 tiny ones done. Next week I start on the bigger ones. I'll try to block and stiffen the ones I've got so far this week and post a pic when I get them done.

I finally got the snowflake done for Jan. It is something that takes so little time and is so simple yet I just kept putting it off. That is why I decided to only make one a month or I would get to behind I wouldn't stick with it. Seems everyone is getting plenty of snowflakes made. This will get more interesting as summer comes and I am sitting with the air on making snowflakes. hehe

As promised, I'm posting my "Starburst Snowflake" pattern. It's my first attempt at writing a pattern, so I hope it is not too confusing. Please test it out and tell me what you think. If you have any thoughts on making the pattern more understandable, please let me know.

Here is a picture of the one I made this evening. I just pinned it out dry so everyone could get an idea of what it looks like. I gave away all the ones I starched so I don't have a picture of them.

starburst.jpg

Starburst Snowflake

Ch 6, Join with sl st to form ring

Rnd 1: Ch 3, dc in ring, (ch 2, 2 dc in ring) 5 times; ch 2, join with sl st to top of beg ch 3.

Rnd 2: sl st to 1st ch 2 space, (ch 21, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, ch 18, sl st in ch 2 space at base of loop, ch 15, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, ch 12, sl st in next ch 2 space) repeat 4 times. ch 21, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, ch 18, sl st in ch 2 space at base of loop, ch 15, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, ch 12, sl st at base of first loop.

*You are more than welcome to sell snoflakes you make from this pattern, but please do not sell the pattern itself.

Well, I said I wanted about 100 new snowflakes this year and I have 10 done so far. I think I may make my goal. What a great way to get them all done.

Carol:flake :flake :flake :flake :flake :flake :flake :flake :flake :flake

Starburst Snowflake

Ch 6, Join with sl st to form ring

Rnd 1: Ch 3, dc in ring, (ch 2, 2 dc in ring) 5 times; ch 2, join with sl st to top of beg ch 3.

Rnd 2: sl st to 1st ch 2 space, (ch 21, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, ch 18, sl st in ch 2 space at base of loop, ch 15, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, ch 12, sl st in next ch 2 space) repeat 4 times. ch 21, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, ch 18, sl st in ch 2 space at base of loop, ch 15, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, ch 12, sl st at base of first loop.

*You are more than welcome to sell snoflakes you make from this pattern, but please do not sell the pattern itself.

Thanks knikki! I'll be sure to make one tonight. Now I wish I had brought my thread to work.

I tried it the other night, Melissa, but kept getting confused on the last round......maybe it was me....it WAS 10 pm, and I had just come home from my bowling league........

I tried it the other night, Melissa, but kept getting confused on the last round......maybe it was me....it WAS 10 pm, and I had just come home from my bowling league........

what was confusing about it? I'll try to rewrite it and make it clearer.

Archived