thread snowflakes CAL

karin4christ

Melissa, thanks for making us a button!

Karin, if you are interested in making the buttons, the link to the tutorial is here I don't have a graphics program like PSP or Photoshop, and have never been able to figure out how to do one without, but this explains how to make them.

So many snowflakes to choose from, I don't know which one to do first! Also here's a silly question to those who have made them before...how do you stiffen them? I've researched a little and found a few different ways like liquid starch or watered-down craft glue...any thoughts on which is the best method to use? :flake

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few more websites for snowflakes:

http://www.chezcrochet.com/page0075.html

http://www.chezcrochet.com/page0079.html

http://www.chezcrochet.com/page0081.html

I like to look through my old magic crochet magazines for motif designs that work as snowflakes.

Some crocheted coasters if you made them in smaller thread size would be great for snowflakes too.

don't forget that since the snowflakes are generally smallish..... make a bunch, and then block them all together to save time!!

that's the only tip i can offer about the snowflakes :rofl

Thanks Karin for posting the link about the starching and stiffening.

I got a kick out of the sugar water stiffening...I would imagine that would attract all kinds of fun bugs :lol Here's silly question for anyone that's read up on it...when they say to take a cup of 'starch' and dissolve it in water, do they mean corn starch or is it some other kind of starch? :think The only experience I have with starching things is when I've ironed things and starched the collars, etc. with spray starch. I was thinking of trying watered down craft glue and see how that works....whew, I never realized I would have the need to type the word 'starch' so many times in one paragraph...

i havent seen where you are reading, but i think they mean liquid starch.... Wal-mart sells it, its called Sta-Flo. And it's in the aisle with the spray fabric starches (like you would use when ironing), I think all that is with the fabric softeners and laundry soaps.

oh this sounds like fun. I can't wait to make some more. I told the hubby just the other day that I am going to make snowflakes my year long project since it is so compact, I can easily carry it with me where ever I go.

I think that I might print out the links and start crocheting over Christmas.

Kiki - I really think they mean spray starch. Someone found it in Walmart. My walmart didn't have it but I found it in Safeway.

Astridz55 - I know, I'm so looking forward to this CAL. Finally a project small enough to fit in a purse!

I posted another link in my first post regarding blocking doilies.

I think that I'm going to make Monday my day to do snowflakes, not just snow flakes if I can work them fast enough, but I want to do 2 snowflakes every monday....

You can use watered down glue to stiffen them although I have not done that. I use liquid starch. With snowflakes I use it full strength but with doilies I do about a half and half mixture.

I have heard you can cook down your own starch using cornstarch. I can't find the link right now.

I have heard you can cook down your own starch using cornstarch. I can't find the link right now.

I found the link here it includes a variety of methods to stiffen snowflakes.

Another link on the same site here that offers lots of tips for thread crochet. The site used to have lots of links to snowflake patterns but those seem to be dead now. I tried to find this site last night and couldn't get to it, so this might not be here but keep trying.

I printed out a bunch of patterns from the links Karin pasted together and am all ready. I confess right up front I am terrified of blocking my snowflakes, so ya'll will have to virtually hold my hand when I get to that stage. I'm feeling proud of myself because yesterday I started my first round ripple (something I'd tried before and failed with). Maybe I'm on a successfully-try-something-new streak! Patty

were we supposed to wait till the 1st??? opps, here is my first snowflake!

th_snowflake1of100.jpg

the pattern was SOOOOOOOOO easy, but i had a zillion things to do today, so I only did the one. It's from The Crochet Stitch Bible, and it worked up really really fast

sorry i jumped the gun, but when i get my hookin face on :hook there is no stopping me, :rofl

glad to oblige and make ya hapy darksi! and thanks for the compliments everyone.

Ya know, I'm thinking about exactly how many of these I need to make: 30 for Christmas Cards, 52 for windows, so thats 82, and no less than 50 for the tree.... we're doing an all white tree next year (hubby doesn't know it yet :lol) so thats what 132???? I've got a bunch of patterns printed, and I think I need to make Mondays a snowflake only day.

Archived