thread snowflakes CAL

karin4christ

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't wait any longer. I made the 'Pretty Snowflake" from crochet pattern central. I did find an error in round 4, so I'm going to make the snowflake again. The directions stated I could add glitter to the snowflake when blocking it. Does anyone know what kind of glitter to use?:think

darski, i want to make one of those thread holders, i would be crocheting while walking down the street, that is soo cute!!

karin I think it's basic glitter. I have a thread butterfly that was made for me, and there is glitter on it. Looks like they sprinkled it while the starch was still wet during the blocking process.

I couldn't wait any longer. I made the 'Pretty Snowflake" from crochet pattern central. I did find an error in round 4, so I'm going to make the snowflake again. The directions stated I could add glitter to the snowflake when blocking it. Does anyone know what kind of glitter to use?:think

I think there is spray glitter available. It doesn't add the glitter with so much bulk.

I could be wrong.

I can't commit to this CAL, but my goal for january is to get the pattern for a snowflake (starburst) I made up on the fly written out before I forget it. I'd love to have a few people test the pattern out when I get it done if y'all are interested.

I can't commit to this CAL, but my goal for january is to get the pattern for a snowflake (starburst) I made up on the fly written out before I forget it. I'd love to have a few people test the pattern out when I get it done if y'all are interested.

I'll test too.

What I use is the glitter that is found in the craft dept. I try and find the very fine kind and I have a plastic container with a cover to store it in because I pour some in it and after I put the stiffiner on the flake and before I block it I put it in the glitter and turn it over then pin it to my blocking board and let it dry.

I was at Joann's today (by the way, I can't believe I forgot to look for glitter!!:eek ). But I wanted to make a blocking board and I had read from one of the links to use foam board. An employee told me they were over in the art supply area where the paints would be. The boards cost $5.99 each and are really bigger than I would need. Now I know $6 is not alot but I'm trying to save money here. Does anyone have any other suggestions?? I thought about using a styrofoam board but I wonder if it would hold the pins well. I also bought some rust proof pins. There were tons of different kinds of pins but only one kind said they were rustproof. I'm going to try to spray starch my first snowflake as soon as I can figure out how to make a cheap blocking board. How's everyone else coming? Or are you all being good and waiting for January 1st to start?:blush

Karin Some places I've read say to use cardboard but I would think it wouldn't hold the pins well either. I broke down and bought the foam board but I had a lot to block and stiffen at once so it wasn't bad. You could just wait till you have a bunch of them and then buy the foam board. That insulation board sounds good too :lol you could scrounge some building sites for some for free scraps:lol I wish I'd of thought of using that.

I'm using a cork bulletin board with some wax paper over it. You could put some contact paper down too. You might be able to get one through freecycle. Maybe ask at a framing place if they have some scraps they would give you that might be big enough?

I made snowflake#1 today. I'll block it after I get a few done.

340103747_53d5cc5c5e_s.jpg

(clickable)

I used knitcrosheen thread I 'd picked up at the thrift store a while back.

I bought the book White Christmas in Thread Crochet right before Christmas and didn't get to do any of them so that's what I'm going to start with for this CAL and make one of everything in it at least maybe even try the snowflake garland they have in there.

man ya'll have fancy blocking boards. I use an old box from when I sold AVON. :lol I put clear packing tape all over the top and sides, and I keep the top on the box , and I block things on the 4 sides and top all at once.

dont judge me, :lol

man ya'll have fancy blocking boards. I use an old box from when I sold AVON. :lol I put clear packing tape all over the top and sides, and I keep the top on the box , and I block things on the 4 sides and top all at once. dont judge me, :lol

No way, that sounds cool. Please post a pic of it covered in snowflakes :yes

Samantha, your snowflake is really pretty! Which pattern did you use?

I also jumped the gun a bit and made two this week :blush I'm going to try blocking with the cornstarch method and see how it works...will let you know!

I have a small piece of styrofoam I'm going to try with one, if that doesn't work I might try home depot for a piece of foam insulation board like I saw mentioned on the site Sammimag gave us. I suppose you could also try Michaels for a blocking board and use the 40% off coupon they always have in their flyer?

o.k., You've got me. I've been wanting to cover my tree with snowflakes for a few years and then at our LARGE family christmas that we have at a community center we decided we needed a tree and I kinda volunteered to make snowflakes for it so I guess this is the place for me. :) I am going for a snowflake a week but no less than one a month because sometimes my life gets crazy. I love the foam insulations scraps for starching. I'll have to get me some. I just use my ironing board covered with a towel as I hardly ever use it to iron on and I have two large and one small. I will have to dig out my book of snowflakes (White Christmas in Thread Crochet) and some thread and start at it.

Samantha, your snowflake is really pretty! Which pattern did you use?

It's a motif from a Magic Crochet Magazine - Dec1992 - Number 81. I have a handful of these that have several round motif patterns that work well for snowflakes or bookmark motifs.

I made another flake last night too. I started yet another that's my own design but I'm not sure if I like it or not. I'm avoiding my WIPs like the plague. :blush

I have a cork bulletin board!!! Thank you for suggesting that. I'll give it a try. Thanks Samantha and everyone else for the suggestions. By the way, I'd be too scared to go to a building site to hunt around for a scrap piece of insulation board. There is alot of building going on here in Tucson and people break into the sites to get copper and then sell it. They even steal the copper wires. I could see it now: I make the six o'clock news having been arrested for suspicion of stealing copper wire. The whole time I protest my innocence. I maintain I was only looking for insulation boards to block snowflakes on. The kind people of Crochetville put together a fund to bail me out of jail!

OK...Tuesdays are my snowflake/ bookmark day for those... I did 3 of hte sweetest little snowflakes this A.M....I changed the pattern a bit by using a 1.5 steel hook & #10 thread... they worked up in about 10 minues...

http://members.aol.com/SAG55/fpoint.html

Now to block the little boogers... they are probably no more then 2 inches across

Archived